PDA

View Full Version : Search for "[" in GNT

Yaku Lee
10-23-2012, 08:31 PM
Is there is a way to search for the special character "[" in GNT?

I tried with Regular Expression Searches and discovered that this search is not supported for Greek text.

With regards

MGVH
10-23-2012, 10:39 PM
This has come up before (http://www.bibleworks.com/forums/showthread.php?4853-How-to-search-GK-text-for-punctuation&highlight=search+question+mark) in terms of looking for question marks ( ; ) in the Greek text.
Attached is a QF file using the Graphical Search Engine.
The trick is specifying required punctuation in the ordering box. (Double click the "exactly 0" box to see what I mean.)

Yaku Lee
10-24-2012, 02:54 AM
Thank you very much for your kind response, Mark.

I tried, of course, to look up for any previous post regarding the search for the left bracket in GNT, but I failed.

Thank you very much, again.

Yaku Lee
10-24-2012, 04:12 AM
Attached is a QF file using the Graphical Search Engine.
The trick is specifying required punctuation in the ordering box. (Double click the "exactly 0" box to see what I mean.)

This "bracket in GNT.pf" searches all the verse medial left brackets.

How can the verse initial or final bracket or double brackets be searched? Is a single bracket included in the double brackets in this search?

With regards

MGVH
10-24-2012, 12:27 PM
How can the verse initial or final bracket or double brackets be searched? Is a single bracket included in the double brackets in this search?

Hmmm.... now I see what you are after. As a test ground, I am just searching Mark 16. I would expect to find those double brackets at 16:8 and 9, but I'm not getting them. I'm only getting the single bracket instances at vv 1 and 14. But not only am I missing v8 and v9, I'm also missing the single bracket at v18.
I see one problem is that the bracket is at the beginning of the verse, and the query postulates that there needs to be a word (any word) preceding the bracket.
You can fix that in the GSE by clicking at the top on Query > Properties > Flags > and then enable "Cross verse boundaries"
Now I run the search, and it picks up the bracket between vv 17 and 18, but it still misses the double brackets in v8 and at the beginning of v9.
Apparently those double brackets (which are simply 2 single brackets) are each counting as a character...
Well, I've spent 20 minutes or so trying everything I can think of, and I am at a loss.
Anyone else?

Michael Hanel
10-24-2012, 02:23 PM
Well, I've spent 20 minutes or so trying everything I can think of, and I am at a loss.
Anyone else?

You may not be satisfied by my answer, but I can get this done in under 2 minutes. Step one. Export the GNT database as RTF file. Step two. Search for [ in Word.

That may not be the solution you want, but it gets the job done.

Yaku Lee
10-24-2012, 03:35 PM
With the exported RTF file, I found the verse initial double brackets at: Mar 16:9, Luk 22:43, 23:34, and Joh 7:53; and verse medial brackets at Mark 16:8.

This method gets the job done, but it would have been nicer if the search were done within BW.

And I thank you both for your kind help.

Michael Hanel
10-24-2012, 03:50 PM
With the exported RTF file, I found the verse initial double brackets at: Mar 16:8, Luk 22:43, 23:34, and Joh 7:53; and verse medial brackets at Mark 16:9.

This method gets the job done, but it would have been nicer if the search were done within BW.

And I thank you both for your kind help.

It seems the problem is that BW searches ignore brackets in Greek. This is generally good because if you're looking for αὐτός and there happens to be a form that is in brackets, the bracket might cause the word not to show up. Or if you do a search and there is a bracket in a verse, if it's not ignored the search highlighting will highlight the wrong word. However, as you ask, there are obviously times where you want to find brackets too. It's possible there's still a way to do it, but like I said, when faced with a dilemma I go for the fastest answer I know, and exporting is hands down the fastest option I knew of.

MGVH
10-24-2012, 06:44 PM
Michael does it again! :rolleyes:

Yaku Lee
10-24-2012, 10:57 PM
I really do thank you both.