PDA

View Full Version : occurrences of third declension in NT?

bkMitchell
10-03-2012, 10:16 AM
I recently came across this fascinating question else where on the net;

"Is there any way to search for occurrences of third declension nouns in the Greek New Testament?"

And, I too wonder:confused: how one would go about formulating such a search on either the command line or the GSE? I am guessing one would need to make sure of wild cards and inclusion list to catch them all.

Anyone have any ideas?

Michael Hanel
10-03-2012, 10:23 AM
Nouns are not tagged according to their declension, so one could do various searching to find them, but it would be pretty laborious. Best would be to copy a list of third declension nouns such as you can find in Mounce's Morphology of Biblical Greek and then save that as a word list.

bkMitchell
10-03-2012, 08:11 PM
Nouns are not tagged according to their declension, so one could do various searching to find them, but it would be pretty laborious. Best would be to copy a list of third declension nouns such as you can find in Mounce's Morphology of Biblical Greek and then save that as a word list.

Thanks Michael! That basically confirms what I thought.
Well,... I had not thought about Mounce's Morphology of Biblical Greek, and now I going have to acquire a copy just out of interest.

Michael Hanel
10-03-2012, 08:33 PM
Thanks Michael! That basically confirms what I thought.
Well,... I had not thought about Mounce's Morphology of Biblical Greek, and now I going have to acquire a copy just out of interest.

It's a good reference book to have around. You should be able to find a used copy for not too much. I once thought about putting together some of those things into word lists and sharing them, but of all the things I never get around to doing, that never makes it high enough on the list. :)

bkMitchell
10-04-2012, 09:04 PM
It's a good reference book to have around. You should be able to find a used copy for not too much. I once thought about putting together some of those things into word lists and sharing them, but of all the things I never get around to doing, that never makes it high enough on the list. :)

As always thanks Michael!