PDA

View Full Version : Running the BW9 Mac Public Preview

admin
10-02-2012, 04:18 PM
This forum is dedicated to discussion of the BibleWorks 9 Mac Public Preview version. Please note that the Public Preview is still under development but works well enough that we felt comfortable releasing it for our Mac users to try. From our testing, the Public Preview runs what 95% of our users use. There are known bugs with it (see below), and these are documented and in queue for repair.

We cannot offer full support for this version as it is still under development. Users who need full compatibility and functionality are encouraged to run in a VM (like Parallels, VMware Fusion, or VirtualBox) or to dual-boot. For details on the various options for Mac users, please consult this dedicated page: http://www.bibleworks.com/content/mac.html

Grateful for your support and interest,

The BibleWorks Team

Known Issues in BW9 Mac Public Preview

Editor Tab, Notes Tab, and all RTF controls: RTL typing in Unicode Hebrew not working
Lack of sizing borders and sizing thumb overlapping other controls
RTF tables in Editor and Notes Tabs
Text-to-Speech not working
Some ERMIE functionality unstable
The Customize Toolbar window for the main button bar, editor button bar, and notes button bar does not display buttons.
Help | Getting Started: Click How-to Videos or main video. Click Back button. Crash
Mss Tab: in verses like Gal 3:13, 3:14, Mat 1:1, etc. the text comparison window doesn't show all of the columns on the right when scrolled
Phrase Matching Tool and Related Verses Tool:using BGM, Gen 3:9, no words are highlighted in the main text window (a RichEdit control)
KWIC window update problem: enter BGT, act, qeos hit return. Verse list loads. Enter BGM, act, qeos, hit return. The Verse list is not updated (should have lemma@XX text), but scrolling down and then up shows the new text. Clicking in word list logos@na, then pathr@na also does not correctly update the Verse list.
CHM: Javascript/CSS toolbar not placed properly (Resources | Background | Rodkinson). See bottom of screen on pages. HTML css formatting not showing.
Editor, Notes: Copying or pasting large amounts of text (e.g. 200KB) to clipboard does not display hourglass cursor and takes a very long time. Crashes when pasting in 600KB.
Editor, Notes: Copying large amounts of text (e.g. 200KB) to clipboard with Ctl-C does not work, but doing a copy from the context menu (two-finger tap) does copy the same data.
Printer support (Editor, Flashcards, Diagrammer): Job is trapped in print queue and requires manual intervention/login (Printer is network printer requiring auth.). Blank pages: After further investigation we noticed that it's relying on EM_SETTARGETDEVICE and EM_FORMATRANGE to print from the rich edit control.
Submenus: Large submenus obscure the parent menu and make it challenging to navigate to other items in the parent menu.
CHM: Clipboard copy does not copy RTF version or HTML to clipboard. Need to support font and table layout (e.g. Wallace-ESNT clipboard samples).
InstallShield: Opening parent folders in the treeview (like German Bibles, English Bibles, etc.) opens the treeview, but scrolls to bottom of the entire treeview.
Tools | Interface settings | BW Keyboard, KB button on Notes & Editor Tabs: Error message displays, keyboard window displays erroneous button text for English. Displays error message for Greek, Hebrew, etc.
Help | Getting Started sized too small
Getting Started window opens under the main window on startup
Resources Tab: Under Lexicons or Grammars or References, when you select an item and click the rocker buttons (to set the order), focus jumps to the previous item
Browse Window | Br. Win Options | New Browse Window is hidden
Main Window, Editor Tab, Notes Tab: No popup hints on button bar
Many floating windows (Parallel Hebrew and LXX, CL Tools | GSE, KWIC, Browse Window | Br. Win Options | Word Analysis windows) show a Windows caption bar in addition to the Mac caption bar when first opened during a session
Words Tab: If active on startup, slowly reloads several times. If not active on startup and clicked, loads quickly.
Popup Copy window: Ctl-shift-b doesn't work in OS X
Browse Window selection glitch: Select text, right-click, hover to open Copy Selected Text submenu, click on parent menu Copy Select Text menuitem. Menu closes and selection is unselected. (should stay selected and menus should stay open)
Parallel Hebrew and LXX | Search for Hebrew-LXX Equivalents: resizing window leaves garbage on screen
Lexicon Browser, Louw-Nida Lexicon: redraw problem
MSS Tab: Options | Copy Image File to Clipboard does not work
Browse Window: Dragging Selected text from Browse Window into Notes window not working (ban cursor appears). Same with dragging from Verse Tab and CHMs.
Editor, Notes: Copying transliterated Hebrew (in BWTrans font) to clipboard does not retain BWTrans tags.
Notes and Editor Tabs: first click on the expand button bar button does not properly expand the toolbar
Toolbars: No popup tips appear when mouse hovers over buttons
CHM/HTML/JS: mouseover thumbnails in ESVSB, ___, etc. does not execute JS to auto-expand image
CHM: Save window size; Make initial CHM size 30% larger
Display/searching issues with Arabic, Czech, Korean, Japanese, Polish, Romanian, Slavonic. For Arabic/Japanese/Korean, setlocale() on "Arabic", "Korean", and Japanese" fail and so they do not appear as available Bible versions. Under Lion: Chinese,Cyrillic, Lithuanian,Thai,Turkish have display issues.
Editor: selecting and dragging down to the bottom of the window should auto-scroll the window without having to wiggle the cursor continually.
Mss Tab: Program crashes when opening, resizing, closing HTML viewer (static and dynamic) on Mat 1:1.
Analysis Tab: mousing over a version ID in the Browse Window produces bolded text in the AW.
Word List Manager: Building lexicon (File | Make Lexicon) doesn't display hourglass cursor
DGM panes, CNTTS search window text pane: Wheel support
Resource Tab: Entry for WTT, Deu 7:10, ???????? has garbage in TWOT entry (under XP)

Repaired 2013-05-08

Editor Tab, Notes Tab, and all RTF controls: RTL typing in non-Unicode Hebrew fixed
Video crash fixed

Repaired 2013-04-26

Browse Window Crash: Moving mouse over version id for hon, jam, nab, ope, opg, opm, otp, phe, phi, phm, qbe, and rod causes crash when mouse next moves over another version id.
Search Window crash:BGT search for “.ton”, Click gen 1 1, Wtt, Scroll search results and click Rev 20:10, Crash (msg beep?)
CL morphology helper not forwarding keys to Command Line: WTM [ret] .dbr@ || Typing n or p or x should copy the keystroke to the CL. Focus is jumping to the dropdown menu instead of the CL. Same for BGM, SCM, etc.
Mss tab: zoom 50%, mousing over a verse reference tag pops up the verse, but the image under the verse popup is not redrawn when the verse disappears. Same redraw problem when menus or context menus are opened over the image area, and when other windows are moved over the image.
Hebrew in RTF, HTML controls: a) Unicode Hebrew vowel points and accents not aligned with consonants in all RTF controls, and all HTML controls (e.g. all CHMs, Daily Light, Editor, Notes, PMT, RVT, Verse Tab, Mss HTML Viewer). See also NET bible CHM in gen 1:1; b) highlighted Hebrew words are displayed out of order; c) English verse reference displayed out of order (See Phrase Matching Tool using WTM, Gen 1:1). d) Help | Daily Light | Greek/Hebrew: All of the September entries have garbage for the first (last) Hebrew word. e) Also the Hebrew vowel pointing is not correctly aligned; f) Garbaged char in NET Hos 1:4, fn 19. g) Selecting mixed English and Hebrew blanks out areas of the text j) Copying selected search result for WTT from the Search Window to the Editor (notes window) cuts off the first character of the verse when right justified. k) The same thing happens when you hit "return" when the cursor is in the little biblical passage selection window in the Notes Tab toolbar. "Return" pastes the passage into the notes area, but cuts off the first letter of the passage when right justified. L) loading Gen 12:4 into Editor produces garbage character after pressing return (See video)
Browse Window: With Verse Tab open, when I clicking that verse up/down button in the Browse window, the Verse Tab does not update until I press it a *second* time (or, it advances the Verse Tab more than one verse). Also in multi-version mode in the Browse Window, the verse up/down button stays DOWN after it is clicked.
Verse Tab: In CNTTS click on link to anchor further down on page, click the left arrow (back) button. Crash. (also note the link had to be clicked twice before registering)
Printer support: Crashes when called in Editor. From Flashcards and Diagrammer, job is trapped in print queue and requires manual intervention/login (Printer is network printer requiring auth.)
Minimized window can't be restored by clicking the main icon in the Dock or Launchpad
Use Tab: With Use Tab active, click Version radio button. Move mouse over Browse Window text. The Use Tab updates for the first word under the mouse, but not subsequent words.
Large dropdown listboxes: With Browse Window in JOS, Jwr, when you click on the verse dropdown, the listbox is not placed onscreen.
Related Verses Tool and Phrase Matching Tool, Xref tab: all of the drop down lists (when opened) are sized too small (should be as large as the window) and no scrollbars appear
Large HTML pages take very long time to load e.g. In CHM files, large HTML pages take very long time to load (see Resources | Background | Rodkinson)
Editor, Notes: Pasting selected text from the Editor into Word produced inverse coloring in Word. Copy NAU Rom 8:2-3 from Browse Window to Editor tab, then from Editor tab to Mac Word. Also occurs with Notes tab.
CHM: the toolbar Back and Forward buttons do not always work

Repaired 2012-10-03

Clicking on MS symbols in CNTTS Apparatus in Verse Tab does not follow link.
CHM TOC: In CHMs like Hebrew Paradigms and others, clicking TOC entries does not jump to #anchors. See also jumping from outside (set CL to WTT, psa 50:3, Click Resource Tab, click Gesenius Ref: Psa 50:2-3. Should Open the CHM to the Ps 5:03 reference, but instead opens to top of page)
Resources | Aramaic | Reymond: Clicking any chapter in TOC causes crash
Help | Getting Started | Click to View Video does nothing; BibleWorks How-to Videos (and Help | How-to videos) crashes
Install on Mountain Lion prompts for xQuartz
Map Mac Command-Q to File | Exit BibleWorks (Windows Alt-F4)
Tools | Options | Fonts | CHM font size, esnt.chm should query program and set font size accordingly

MT/Updated 4/26/2013

Michael Hanel
10-02-2012, 04:34 PM
I think I may have found this before you intended. Oops. But, this news will make a lot of people VERY happy.

Soxfan23
10-02-2012, 07:45 PM
I'm confused. Is this an actual announcement that Bibleworks is actually coming out with a true native Mac version? Not one that works with Parallels,VMWare Fusion, Crossover, etc? It seemed like just a few weeks ago Michael was saying they would consider it, presumably b/c Accordance is releasing a Windows version. I totally support & applaud the move if it's coming

Michael Hanel
10-02-2012, 08:03 PM
I'm confused. Is this an actual announcement that Bibleworks is actually coming out with a true native Mac version? Not one that works with Parallels,VMWare Fusion, Crossover, etc? It seemed like just a few weeks ago Michael was saying they would consider it, presumably b/c Accordance is releasing a Windows version. I totally support & applaud the move if it's coming

It's a real announcement.

The native Mac version of BibleWorks runs on OS X using customized compatibility libraries by CodeWeavers. It runs directly on OS X without a virtual machines or machine instruction emulation.

I'm sure you'll hear a lot more about it soon. According to the BW Facebook page, they were going to announce it officially today, but then found a few snags they wanted to fix. Technically I think this post was supposed to be hidden, but you can get to it from the BW official webpage.

kpurcell
10-03-2012, 03:11 PM
I just tried to download and install the Preview version of the "native" Mac version and it is far from a native mac version. Its using X11 which is virtualization. I hope this is a case of confusion on the part of what constitutes a "native Mac app" on the part of BibleWorks. Running in X11 is not native at all. I understand that its costly to start over and code a truly native mac app that does all of the advanced features of Bibleworks, but please don't advertise this as native as Mac users like myself will respond quite negatively to what you're actually offering in this preview.

admin
10-03-2012, 04:28 PM
Hi Kevin,

We've tried to be very clear about what the new Mac version is and is not. The BibleWorks 9 executable is running natively. It runs on compatibility libraries. These libraries do not involve virtualization and do not involve bytecode emulation. They truly are running native. The X11 libraries which they use are native code libraries and even shipped with OS X (from Leopard through Lion, I believe). I think in Mountain Lion, Apple chose not to include the X11 libraries, but they should automatically install with the Mac Public Preview installer and were shipped with OS X in Lion. If they are not automatically installed in Mountain Lion, that is an error and we will address it.

I've also added this sentence to the Mac page: "The underlying technology uses WINE and xQuartz libraries."

From our perspective the compatibility libraries could use some optimization to make them faster, and we plan to address that in future updates.

I hope that makes sense. We're certainly not trying to mislead anyone (that wouldn't help us or our users). The Mac Public Preview is released at no additional cost as another option for our Mac users to try.

Michael

P.S. If you all have suggestions that would better describe the Mac version let us know!

dribex
10-03-2012, 07:51 PM
Is there a cost to secure rv 3. My dvds have 1.0 on them. Wouldn't everyone who upfraded initially need to secure the rv 3?

Unfortunately, there is a cost (about $25 for the set). If you are daring and don't mind getting your hands dirty, you can make rev. 1 and 2 DVDs work, but don't recommend it unless you are comfortable with the following steps:

Download and run the installer from the Mac page.
Install BW9 from your BW9 DVDs. You will get a SmartHeap error at the end, and the program will not run.
After the installation from DVD is done, open Finder.
Hold Option and select Go | Library.
Go to Library | Application Support | BibleWorks |Bottles | Bibleworks | drive_c | Program Files | BibleWorks 9
Download http://bibleworks.com/support/et7br/bw900macupd.zip
Paste the contents of the zip file into that folder. You must overwrite the existing files.
You should now be able to run.

Hope that helps!
Michael

dribex
10-04-2012, 12:25 AM
Thanks, Michael, for this help for those who have version 1. I did get my hands dirty - and it installed!
It looks beautiful on my Mac screen and is working better than you promised. I am so appreciative of what you guys have done
that I am sending a small check to BW in the mail tomorrow. Thanks again.

Will

ccozier
10-04-2012, 01:19 AM
For those of us already using BW9 and Crossover....is there a way to upgrade our installation to the new preview rather than doing a fresh install? Don't mind the new install...but I've got a nicely personalized copy and don't quite remember all the tweaks that went into it.

Thanks....what a great October surprise!

kpurcell
10-04-2012, 01:41 PM
What about those who don't own an optical drive. Many Macs today come without one. I've long ago copied my BW 9 installer discs to a folder on my backup drive and I install this way using Parallels. However, I can't make this work since this tool requires disks. Any other ways for us to install other than buying an optical drive?

esvalley
10-04-2012, 04:05 PM
Unfortunately, there is a cost (about $25 for the set). If you are daring and don't mind getting your hands dirty, you can make rev. 1 and 2 DVDs work, but don't recommend it unless you are comfortable with the following steps:

Install BW9 from your BW9 DVDs. You will get a SmartHeap error at the end, and the program will not run.
Go to Library | Application Support | BibleWorks |Bottles | Bibleworks | drive_c | Program Files | BibleWorks 9
Download http://edist.bibleworksllc.com/macsetup/bw900.zip
Paste the contents of the zip file into that folder. You must overwrite the existing files.

Hope that helps!
Michael

I tried relentlessly to download the zip file but cannot get it to open in iZip, Stuffit or any other program. It constantly saves as an .exe file

Thanks in advance,
Elijah

MTan
10-04-2012, 05:15 PM
What about those who don't own an optical drive.

Ouch! Let me research that and get back to you. We've investigated making the product (Windows and Mac) an electronic download but BW9 is so big it takes 3 DVDs (~15GB). It's really painful to download something that big, especially wirelessly!

MTan
10-04-2012, 05:33 PM
For those of us already using BW9 and Crossover....is there a way to upgrade our installation to the new preview rather than doing a fresh install? Don't mind the new install...but I've got a nicely personalized copy and don't quite remember all the tweaks that went into it.

Thanks....what a great October surprise!

Ummm, here's what I would suggest. Go to your existing CrossOver install and copy the program files\bibleworks 9\bw90.ini file. Then, install with the Mac Public Preview installer. Once it is up and running, go to

Library | Application Support | BibleWorks |Bottles | Bibleworks | drive_c | Program Files | BibleWorks 9

and copy your ini to that folder.

Hope that works for you!

MTan
10-04-2012, 05:34 PM
I tried relentlessly to download the zip file but cannot get it to open in iZip, Stuffit or any other program. It constantly saves as an .exe file

Elijah, if you copy the .exe file over the existing one in the BibleWorks 9 folder, does it work?

Ben Spackman
10-05-2012, 09:32 PM
I also don't have a disc drive, but installed just fine on my Macbook Air using the remote disc feature from my iMac.

MTan
10-08-2012, 11:20 AM
What about those who don't own an optical drive...Any other ways for us to install other than buying an optical drive?

Thanks to Ben for this tip. After pondering the idea of setting up a USB drive with the DVD files and label name, it seems a better solution would be the Remote Disc feature that Apple supplies:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5287

It only requires that you have another computer (Mac or PC) with a DVD drive on your network.

Hope that helps!
Michael

vitalip
10-09-2012, 03:50 PM
hi there,

do i have to have BW 9 to install and run BW9 Mac Pub Preview? I bought a BW8 Windows few months before BW9 was released, and did not feel like springing for upgrade... am I stuck now? or can I preview the new version as well?

thanks

MTan
10-09-2012, 04:08 PM
do i have to have BW 9 to install and run BW9 Mac Pub Preview?

Hi Vitalip,

The Mac Public Preview does require BibleWorks 9.

Michael

MTan
10-09-2012, 04:09 PM
Okay, the BW9 Mac Public Preview is available again! Please see updated instructions here:
http://www.bibleworks.com/content/mac.html

You may need to hit refresh/F5 in your browser if it is still showing the old page.

Michael

aay
10-09-2012, 09:36 PM
I'm thrilled to hear that BW will be supporting BW on Mac using Crossover/WINE. This is not because I'm a Mac user, but a Linux user who has been running BW under WINE for years It's always worked, and worked pretty well, but a number of features have been unavailable using WINE. I'm really hoping that since BW will be developed for Mac using Crossover/WINE that this will have some implications for running BW under Linux using Crossover. I would think that if you're going to put the work into getting BW running well under Crossover for Mac, that this would mean most (or all) of these benefits would manifest themselves for those trying to run BW under Linux. I realize that you will probably not release an official Linux version using Crossover, but I think it would be really great if better Linux compatibility showed up as a side effect of tweaking BW to run on Mac via Crossover/WINE. Can anyone confirm?

aay
10-10-2012, 12:32 PM
I'm thrilled to hear that BW will be supporting BW on Mac using Crossover/WINE. This is not because I'm a Mac user, but a Linux user who has been running BW under WINE for years It's always worked, and worked pretty well, but a number of features have been unavailable using WINE. I'm really hoping that since BW will be developed for Mac using Crossover/WINE that this will have some implications for running BW under Linux using Crossover. I would think that if you're going to put the work into getting BW running well under Crossover for Mac, that this would mean most (or all) of these benefits would manifest themselves for those trying to run BW under Linux. I realize that you will probably not release an official Linux version using Crossover, but I think it would be really great if better Linux compatibility showed up as a side effect of tweaking BW to run on Mac via Crossover/WINE. Can anyone confirm?

My curiosity about running BW on Linux continues to grow especially since I found out about the Crosstie installer for BW under codeweavers.

http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/name/?app_id=10025

I don't have experience using the crosstie system, but I'm assuming a crosstie will work under Linux as it would on Mac. Any thoughts? Now that the native BW version for Mac is being developed using Crossover Office, will the separate Crosstie installer be maintained? Please say yes, because this would most likely give Linux users the Mac benefits. I haven't yet upgrade to BW 9, and since the crosstie is for BW9 I can't test any of this out, but I'm hoping.

Michael Hanel
10-10-2012, 11:02 PM

Download http://edist.bibleworksllc.com/macsetup/bw900.zip

Hope that helps!
Michael

Using these instructions I was able to install BibleWorks 9 on a Mac at home using a pre-Rev3 DVD set, but when it gave errors at the end of the installation, I did think that the installation would not work. Although I consider myself pretty computer-savvy, I'm no Mac expert, so it did take a bit of trial and error. If you're not comfortable playing around like this, it does seem like buying the new DVD version isn't a bad idea.

The performance for a preview version was pretty impressive though. I didn't drive it through all the possible steps, but I liked what I did do with it. So far the only negative to me was that some of the fonts don't appear very elegant on the Mac. This is a pre-retina display Mac (if that makes any difference), but I found the BWGRKL font much more thin than it is on Windows and italic font in the Verse tab (in the Tischendorf module) was rather jagged too. I'm not sure if this is just my computer though or common to all native Mac installations.

But like I said, for a preview version, this is in my opinion remarkably good. :)

AlexJp
10-12-2012, 09:29 AM
Will BW9 Mac PPV Run in the Future all

New Features and Databases of Windows Version !?, and how About add Modules can be add too!???:confused:

BarryN
10-12-2012, 10:06 AM
Does anyone know whether the ESV Study Notes work on BW9 Mac Public Preview? I loaded the program yesterday including my purchased codes for the ESV Study Notes but they did not appear in the Resources window or anywhere else in BW. Please advise.

BarryN
10-12-2012, 10:22 PM
Does anyone know whether the ESV Study Notes work on BW9 Mac Public Preview? I loaded the program yesterday including my purchased codes for the ESV Study Notes but they did not appear in the Resources window or anywhere else in BW. Please advise.

FYI, in case you run into the same issue that I had with activating ESV Study Bible and other applications in BW9 in Mac Public Preview. As usual Edward from customer service gave this excellent response to my question:

With BibleWorks running, click “File” on the menu bar, then click “Activate Database” on the drop-down menu. A large window titled the “Activation Manager” will open. BibleWorks should certainly be in the list, but verify that ESVS is in the list as well. If it is, look in the right-hand column to determine its status. If it shows as “Not activated” then take measures to activate that resource [click on the tab that says activate all via internet]. Even if BibleWorks itself is running in “Trial Mode”, modules do not have a trial mode, and will not show as available resources until they have been successfully activated.

Thanks again BW and Edward for your excellent service!

mrmiller
10-15-2012, 08:57 PM
Is there a way to adjust the font size in the Early Church Fathers?

dksmithey
10-23-2012, 03:34 PM
Most companies release software when it's 95% ready.
You have a great product. Keep up the good work.

I'm thrilled to finally use BW on my Mac in a native fashion. (I was previously using it in a VM).

Thanks!!

David Smithey

jhkchan
10-23-2012, 08:35 PM

ESV Study Bible works in Mac Public Preview. It appears in Analysis Window under "Verse" Tab, as well as an independent window by selecting Resources -> Commentaries -> ESV Study Bible.

However, the font is so small in the Analysis Window as well as in the independent window, the notes turn out to be a strain to read. I adjusted Options -> Fonts for Search, Browse, and Analysis Windows, as well as CHM font size to X-Large; all to no avail on the ESV Study Notes. If anyone knows how to increase its font size, please let me know.

Michael Hanel noticed that:
on the Mac Preview page (http://www.bibleworks.com/forums/showthread.php?5422-Running-the-BW9-Mac-Public-Preview) this is listed as one of the known bugs: COM/JS issue? Tools | Options | Fonts | CHM font size, esnt.chm should query program and set font size accordingly. I'm not sure if that's related, but it sounds like they know about font issues in at least one CHM, but it sounds like they also know it's a more general problem.

Certainly hope this can be resolved soon.

John

MTan
10-26-2012, 02:51 PM
John,

It would involve a re-build of the ESV chm file. It's not a Mac issue. Let me look into it and report back.

Michael

Dunk
11-09-2012, 11:39 AM
Here are my first impressions of the Bibleworks 9 Mac preview:
http://duncanf.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/first-impressions-of-bibleworks-9-mac.html

Excited about the initial work, hoping there will be more progress on this soon.
D

Dunk
11-14-2012, 11:44 AM
Unfortunately, this preview is unworkable for me. When I have the excellent verse function open, the verse down buttons in the browse window gets stuck and continuously scroll down. I am unable to simply click once and get the verse to change once. This makes the preview unusable for me. Rather disappointingly I reported this problem to Bibleworks on 2nd November and have still not had a reply yet (12 days later).

jfidel
11-14-2012, 12:52 PM
Unfortunately, this preview is unworkable for me. When I have the excellent verse function open, the verse down buttons in the browse window gets stuck and continuously scroll down. I am unable to simply click once and get the verse to change once. This makes the preview unusable for me. Rather disappointingly I reported this problem to Bibleworks on 2nd November and have still not had a reply yet (12 days later).

I have e mailed Michael Tan and he has identified the bug and put it on the list of known issues.

As a work around if you turn the browse window to browse mode rather than multi translation mode, the verse tab will update to the verse you mouse over. It is a viable work around until a fix is in place.

I hope this helps.

Dunk
11-14-2012, 03:12 PM
I have e mailed Michael Tan and he has identified the bug and put it on the list of known issues.

As a work around if you turn the browse window to browse mode rather than multi translation mode, the verse tab will update to the verse you mouse over. It is a viable work around until a fix is in place.

I hope this helps.

Thanks jfiedl, glad to see it finally made it into the known issues.
Thanks for the workaround too, unfortunately that isn't a viable work around for me as I always use the multi-translation mode, but I'm glad it works for you.

Looking forward to the update.

jfidel
11-14-2012, 04:01 PM
Thanks jfiedl, glad to see it finally made it into the known issues.
Thanks for the workaround too, unfortunately that isn't a viable work around for me as I always use the multi-translation mode, but I'm glad it works for you.

Looking forward to the update.

You can open a browse window in the other analysis window in multi translation mode, just use the browse window in browse mode to change verses... just an idea. You may have the other analysis window open with MSS so that won't work.

dhave
12-05-2012, 03:58 PM
Will BW 9 owners have to buy a separate license for the BW 9 Mac version when it's released?

I've owned BW since v. 3 and have faithfully upgraded through v. 8, which I currently use. I'm not in a position (read: no dough) to upgrade to BW9, though I'd consider it if I knew it would include licenses for both Mac and PC versions (uh-hem, as Logos does ...).

Thanks.

Eric
08-03-2013, 01:04 AM

Download http://bibleworks.com/support/et7br/bw900macupd.zip

Hope that helps!
Michael

I had been running Parallels on my Macbook Air for the sole purpose of using Bibleworks. This was before the Mac version came out. This week my hard drive crashed and I had to reinstall everything. I would like to get rid of the windows side if possible.

Does this procedure still work for those who have Rev 1 BW9 discs? I really don't want to spend $30 for replacement discs if not absolutely necessary.

Thanks for the advice...

admin
08-13-2013, 11:43 AM
Does this procedure still work for those who have Rev 1 BW9 discs? I really don't want to spend $30 for replacement discs if not absolutely necessary. .

I believe it should work, but the caveats still remain.

Michael

Eric
08-27-2013, 04:35 PM
I believe it should work, but the caveats still remain.

Michael

Just to confirm. This procedure does still work. I ordered the new Mac code and followed the direction. It worked fine.

Initial reaction is it is good, but the font quality if much lower that the windows version running Parallels.

AbramKJ
08-28-2013, 06:05 AM
Just to confirm. This procedure does still work. I ordered the new Mac code and followed the direction. It worked fine.

Initial reaction is it is good, but the font quality if much lower that the windows version running Parallels.

Is the font issue something that future updates might address?

AbramKJ
09-05-2013, 10:48 PM
Curious to know if future updates will offer any adjustments to the font displays?

Donald Cobb
09-06-2013, 01:45 AM
Curious to know if future updates will offer any adjustments to the font displays?

That'a a question I've been asking myself also, with the hope that the answer is yes! :)

I have one other question also: yesterday I received a generic email stating this, among other things: "We've put a lot of effort into the BibleWorks 9 Mac Installer-- many fixes and improvements enable you to run BibleWorks 9 natively on your Mac using customized WINE libraries. Existing Mac Public Preview users can update free here: http://www.bibleworks.com/content/mac.html"

I was wondering if this last sentence (I've put it in italics) means that there is a recent update that hasn't been mentioned elsewhere. Does anyone have an answer to this?

Donald Cobb
Aix-en-Provence, France

Andrew Chuter
09-06-2013, 04:45 AM
I was wondering if this last sentence (I've put it in italics) means that there is a recent update that hasn't been mentioned elsewhere. Does anyone have an answer to this?

Donald Cobb
Aix-en-Provence, France[/QUOTE]

I wondered this as well - but on seeking to implement it seems to be the update in July.

My major problem with the font is not the issue of quality but the inability to alter the size of font in the Analysis Window and the Independent window for the Verse Tab items and for certain modules such as Early Church Fathers, Bavinck, Word-Search modules etc which makes them virtually unusable under the Mac Version. This is disappointing as I have in other respects been very happy with the Mac Version. Unless this problem is resolved it will not be possible to completely move away from Parallels Version, which then rather defeats the object of having a Mac version. It would be helpful to know if/when this is likely to be resolved.

Andrew Chuter

AbramKJ
09-06-2013, 08:27 AM
I asked the same question on the FB wall, and they said:

"The preview was basically the "beta" and now that we have drastically improved it, we have given it the official label."

Donald Cobb
09-06-2013, 09:41 AM
I asked the same question on the FB wall, and they said:

"The preview was basically the "beta" and now that we have drastically improved it, we have given it the official label."

Thanks Andrew and Abram. The last update I installed goes back to the beginning of June (June 3 to be exact). Andrew, I didn't see anything come my way in July. Are you sure about the date? I may have missed one, but I've been getting them pretty consistently. Thanks for checking!

Don

jfidel
09-06-2013, 09:59 AM
If you open BibleWorks and then help/about from the menu it will show you the version you are running. Mine was identical to the version in the e mail. I think the e mail was confusing and the method to update even more confusing. In the future I would prefer a clear and concise path to the update file.

Andrew Chuter
09-06-2013, 12:21 PM
Thanks Andrew and Abram. The last update I installed goes back to the beginning of June (June 3 to be exact). Andrew, I didn't see anything come my way in July. Are you sure about the date? I may have missed one, but I've been getting them pretty consistently. Thanks for checking!

Don

Donald,
In the Knowledge Base item 'How Do I Install, or Uninstall, the BibleWorks 9 Mac Installer?' the Download Mac Installer link has "updated 2013-07-11" against it.

Regards
Andrew

Donald Cobb
09-06-2013, 01:16 PM
Donald,
In the Knowledge Base item 'How Do I Install, or Uninstall, the BibleWorks 9 Mac Installer?' the Download Mac Installer link has "updated 2013-07-11" against it.

Regards
Andrew

Thank you Andrew! I hadn't taken the time to look at that.

Don

kpurcell
10-23-2013, 01:03 PM
Not a single Mac sold has a DVD drive in it. You need to come up with a way to install without a DVD. The format is a dead format on the Mac platform for most people today.

letteney
10-24-2013, 12:32 PM
Not a single Mac sold has a DVD drive in it. You need to come up with a way to install without a DVD. The format is a dead format on the Mac platform for most people today.

For what it's worth, the Macbook Pro does, indeed, have an optical drive.

kpurcell
10-25-2013, 07:36 AM
For what it's worth, the Macbook Pro does, indeed, have an optical drive.

Not anymore. Apple killed the optical disc this week announcing their new machine with no optical drive.

admin
10-25-2013, 06:09 PM
We hope soon to provide a download for users without DVD drives. 12GB!! We'll keep you all posted.
Michael