PDA

View Full Version : New computer

hdshepherd
09-10-2012, 12:51 PM
As a confirmed dinosaur, I am still using version 5. I am about to upgrade my computer (finally) to a more modern one, complete with plenty of RAM, a TB hard drive, and Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. The problem is, the new computer has a SATA HD interface, and my old one is IDE, so I can't hook up the old hard drive to the new computer. I still have my install CD, but am wondering what files I need to save on a USB thumb drive to make the installation easier. I have already transferred the Databases folder and the Patches folder to the thumb drive, but don't know if this will do it. I realize there are issues with fonts, etc., and am prepared to deal with those. Once I install the new computer, I intend to clear the old HD and dispose of the old unit, so I don't want to be left up the proverbial creek.

Ralph

ccozier
09-10-2012, 07:08 PM
As a confirmed dinosaur, I am still using version 5. I am about to upgrade my computer (finally) to a more modern one, complete with plenty of RAM, a TB hard drive, and Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. The problem is, the new computer has a SATA HD interface, and my old one is IDE, so I can't hook up the old hard drive to the new computer. I still have my install CD, but am wondering what files I need to save on a USB thumb drive to make the installation easier. I have already transferred the Databases folder and the Patches folder to the thumb drive, but don't know if this will do it. I realize there are issues with fonts, etc., and am prepared to deal with those. Once I install the new computer, I intend to clear the old HD and dispose of the old unit, so I don't want to be left up the proverbial creek.

Ralph

Ralph,

On your old computer, go to the C:\program files directory. There you should find the Bibleworks directory (its Bibleworks 9 now, but I think pre-9 it was simply Bibleworks). Copy everything in that directory and all subdirectories. In addition, you should go into the C:\windows\system32 directory. There should be a bw.ini file there....grab that as well. Bibleworks doesn't put anything (of real value as far as I can tell) in the registry....if you have the files in the Bibleworks directory and the ini file, you've got everything Bibleworks uses when it runs. I believe that I've actually transferred Bibleworks from one computer to another by simply copying the directory and the ini file across. BW 9 is a bit more complex, but they've built in a migration tool to gather everything together and transfer it.

hdshepherd
09-11-2012, 02:33 PM
The reason I thought I should do the install from the cd is the difference in operating systems. My old one is XP, and I will need to let Windows 7 know to run the program in 2000 mode (according to Bibleworks). Not sure when that opportunity arises, but figured it would happen during the install. If I can do it after installation, the idea of just transferring everything sounds like the easiest way to do it. Hope I have enough room on the thumb drive, as there is a lot of other stuff on it, awaiting transfer to the new computer. It is supposed to arrive tomorrow, Sep 12, by the way. I will keep the old one around for a while just in case, but my wife doesn't like keeping old stuff around, and I try to humor her. We've lasted 55 years; I don't want to do anything to upset the applecart at this stage. She is definitely worth humoring now and then, so I won't hang on to the old unit long.

I depend upon BW for some NT translating I have been doing. I am very dissatisfied with the lack of literalness in the published versions, especially in the verb tenses. Even the versions touted as being "literal" aren't, so far as I am concerned. So, I am doing my own; have all the epistles and Revelation done so far, and am currently working on Mark. Keeps me occupied in my retirement.

Ralph

MGVH
09-11-2012, 03:06 PM
... I won't hang on to the old unit long.
I trust you are talking about the computer and not your wife! ;)

Just a few weeks ago I upgraded from an old WinXP to a spiffy new Win7 machine. I'm working on pulling together a more comprehensive guide to making the transition, but just a couple quick things...

Yes, you need to install from the CD, and I'm guessing that you read BW's own support page (http://kb.bibleworksllc.com/kmp/index.php?/article/AA-02763/0/How-Can-I-Prepare-BibleWorks-7-and-Prior-Versions-to-Run-in-Windows-Vista-or-Windows-7.html) on installing a pre-version 7 edition of BW on a Win 7 computer.
I'm pretty sure you can simply transfer everything in these subdirectories: ase, diagram, gntdgm, images, notes, timeline
You need to be a little careful transferring things from the databases and the userdb subdirectories. There may be some issues, especially if your directory paths have changed. Namely, note that you may have a different hard drive letter, and you will certainly have a different path on the WinXP machine--where BW was located under Program Files--and Win7--where it will go under Program Files (x86).
In light of the previous point, there will be even more issues transferring stuff in your init subdirectory.

hdshepherd
09-11-2012, 06:02 PM
Mark,

I'll keep the human unit as long as we both are sucking air, I guess, if she doesn't object.

I hope that detailed guide is finished in time to help me. Please post its location here. You have already helped by confirming I need to install from the CD, and I will go that route.

Ralph

hdshepherd
09-18-2012, 03:32 PM
Mark,
I appreciate your advice. To be safe, I loaded the software from the disc, and then downloaded the updates from BW. The program is working fine, but I have lost the Louw-Nida lexicon somehow. I apparently have no file so identified on the thumb drive, as I copied a limited amount of stuff onto it. I thought it would be included in the update download (is that an oxymoron?), but it wasn't. If you have any idea how to solve this, it would be much appreciated. I use all the lexicons in the program, with occasional references to my paper unabridged copy of Liddell and Scott, so I miss it.

Ralph

"Just a few weeks ago I upgraded from an old WinXP to a spiffy new Win7 machine. I'm working on pulling together a more comprehensive guide to making the transition, but just a couple quick things...

Yes, you need to install from the CD, and I'm guessing that you read BW's own support page (http://kb.bibleworksllc.com/kmp/index.php?/article/AA-02763/0/How-Can-I-Prepare-BibleWorks-7-and-Prior-Versions-to-Run-in-Windows-Vista-or-Windows-7.html) on installing a pre-version 7 edition of BW on a Win 7 computer.
I'm pretty sure you can simply transfer everything in these subdirectories: ase, diagram, gntdgm, images, notes, timeline
You need to be a little careful transferring things from the databases and the userdb subdirectories. There may be some issues, especially if your directory paths have changed. Namely, note that you may have a different hard drive letter, and you will certainly have a different path on the WinXP machine--where BW was located under Program Files--and Win7--where it will go under Program Files (x86).
In light of the previous point, there will be even more issues transferring stuff in your init subdirectory."

hdshepherd
09-18-2012, 04:07 PM
Installation went well, and BW is working OK. Only problem is, I seem to have lost Thayer's and Louw-Nida lexicons. i downloaded the updates for my version, but they are still missing. Any ideas how to get them back? I use all the lexicons in my translation work, including the occasional reference to my unabridged hard copy of Liddell & Scott, so I miss them. I also have a new problem since downloading the updates. Each time I fire up Bibleworks, I get a message saying fonts have changed and I need to reboot. I have rebooted. I have deleted and reinstalled the fonts. Nothng helps. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Ralph

hdshepherd
09-19-2012, 04:34 PM
i found the lexicons. Somehow i hadn't installed them in the first place. Still have the problem with the popup telling me I need to reboot or remove the fonts in Control Panel. Tried both several times, and nothing helps.

Ralph

hdshepherd
10-01-2012, 06:36 PM
:) Problem solved. Found a toggle that keeps BW from checking fonts on startup. Fonts work fine anyway.

Ralph