PDA

View Full Version : BW and OpenOffice

Pelikano
11-05-2004, 03:24 AM
Hi,
I´ve got a problem using the BW-Fonts with OpenOffice1.1.3 for Windows. If I copy a section from BW to OO, characters and accents are displayed well on the screen. But printing the text, all accents get wrong (for example , instead of Akut). The problem doesn´t exist in other applications (MS Word ...). Is there anyone, who is using BW and OO without problems? Please help me, cause I dont want to use MS Word!
Thank you!!!

J Kendall
11-05-2004, 04:41 AM
This is a known bug in OOo. Versions of OOo later than 1.03 won't handle truetype fonts like Bwgrkl and SPionic which use negatively spaced characters. See the discussion at:
http://www.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=12718 (http://www.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=12718)

The problem is partially fixed in the recent developer version, but it still can't handle cases where a Greek character needs two diacritics e.g. circumflex and iota subscript.

Once Bibleworks moves to Unicode fonts, this won't be a problem for you. In the meantime you could think of writing an OOo macro to convert your Bibleworks Greek & Hebrew fonts to Unicode.

I guess you should chase this up at the OOo website.

Ewan MacLeod
11-05-2004, 05:30 AM
Hi,
I´ve got a problem using the BW-Fonts with OpenOffice1.1.3 for Windows. If I copy a section from BW to OO, characters and accents are displayed well on the screen. But printing the text, all accents get wrong (for example , instead of Akut). The problem doesn´t exist in other applications (MS Word ...). Is there anyone, who is using BW and OO without problems? Please help me, cause I dont want to use MS Word!
Thank you!!!

I also have this problem, and the solution is easy. Produce a PDF of the file (just click the PDF button!) and print that out instead. The only quirk is that BW fonts do not appear in bold, but except for that it works fine.

Stick with OpenOffice.org - it really is worth it. It is a superb product. It is worth getting the OpenOffice.org Resource Kit, and really learning the ins and outs. It is much more flexible and logical than Microsoft Office, once you get used to using styles properly.

Regards,

Ewan