PDA

View Full Version : Search for Adjectives with just two endings?

Peter
08-22-2012, 06:07 PM
Dear BW-Friends,

is it possible to search the Greek text for Adjectives with just two endings (mas. and fem. are the same), for example "APISTOS" ?
If you have a clue, please write !
Thank you !
Peter, Germany

MGVH
08-23-2012, 12:11 AM
Perhaps I am not understanding your question, but BW doesn't really care what declension pattern an adjective uses.
Be sure you are using either BGM or BNM as your search version.
The command is simply .απιστος and ENTER. There are 23 hits in the NT.

If you are trying to sort out occurrences of masc and fem, the forms will indeed look the same, but everything is analyzed contextually in BW.
Again using BGM or BNM:
Command:
.απιστος@an?m* will find the 17 masc forms in the NT
.απιστος@an?f* will find the 5 fem forms in the NT
(The one neuter form is in Acts 26.8)

Alles Gutes!

Donald Cobb
08-23-2012, 01:35 AM
Dear BW-Friends,

is it possible to search the Greek text for Adjectives with just two endings (mas. and fem. are the same), for example "APISTOS" ?
If you have a clue, please write !
Thank you !
Peter, Germany

Hello Peter,

If I understand correctly, what you are looking for is all adjectives that have the same ending for the masculine and feminine, right? Although I don't know how or if you could make a list of those adjectives, what you can do to at least locate them is this:
- Open one of the NT lexicons (Gingrich, for example)
- Click on "Edit", then "search"
- Click on the buttons for "Greek", "string" and "ignore"
- In "find what", type *ος, ον

That will direct you to the adjectives you're looking for. You will, however, have to be content at looking at them one at a time. Would someone else have a better solution?

Blessings,

Don Cobb
Aix-en-Provence, France

Michael Hanel
08-23-2012, 09:35 AM
I haven't checked to see if Don's solution would find them all, but my go-to solution for this kind of question wouldn't be BW, it would be Mounce's book The Morphology of Biblical Greek. He has an list of all two-termination adjectives in one quick and easy place. What would be ideal is if someone went through that list and created a Word List in BibleWorks and saved it. That way you'd always have it as a reference. In any event, it's quite a long list otherwise I would have done so already.

Peter
09-08-2012, 12:21 PM
Dear Friends,
thank you for all the help ! I got what I wanted to know.
See you soon...
Peter, Germany