PDA

View Full Version : New BibleWorks Channel on Youtube

ISalzman
07-25-2012, 10:57 AM
Hey Guys, I just wanted to give kudos to BibeWorks for the great new BibleWorks Youtube Channel. Great idea. A lot of helpful videos in one place. I watched '10 Reasons to Upgrade to BW9' this morning, even though I am already running version 9. Great video. So who is the person in the video?

Irving

Adelphos
07-25-2012, 11:41 AM
Hey Guys, I just wanted to give kudos to BibeWorks for the great new BibleWorks Youtube Channel. Great idea. A lot of helpful videos in one place. I watched '10 Reasons to Upgrade to BW9' this morning, even though I am already running version 9. Great video. So who is the person in the video?

Well, call me a dummy, but I can't find "10 Reasons To Upgrade To BW9" on Youtube. Link please? :cool:

Michael Hanel
07-25-2012, 12:15 PM
Here's the link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppEJHiJDoJ4&feature=plcp). Jim Barr is the one on video there.

Adelphos
07-25-2012, 12:21 PM
Here's the link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppEJHiJDoJ4&feature=plcp). Jim Barr is the one on video there.

Much obliged.

ISalzman
07-25-2012, 12:21 PM
Sorry Scott, my bad. I believe that should be '9 Reasons to Upgrade ...' Thanks for the info, Michael.

ISalzman
07-25-2012, 12:24 PM
By the way, you can subscribe to the BibleWorks Channel at Youtube - I did - and that way, you get alerts when new videos are posted. Once again, thanks BW for this new great resource!

robrecht
07-25-2012, 12:29 PM
Well, call me a dummy, but I can't find "10 Reasons To Upgrade To BW9" on Youtube. Link please? :cool:

Here's the channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/BibleWorksVideos

Here's "Nine Reasons to Upgrade to BW9":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppEJHiJDoJ4&feature=plcp

ὃς δʼ ἂν εἴπῃ τῷ ἀδελφῷ αὐτοῦ Ῥακά, ἔνοχος ἔσται τῷ συνεδρίῳ ὃς δʼ ἂν εἴπῃ Μωρέ, ἔνοχος ἔσται εἰς τὴν γέενναν τοῦ πυρός.

Adelphos
07-25-2012, 12:38 PM
Thanks for bringing it to our attention, Irv. And thanks to the rest for the links. Outcome?

Sold.

I knew about the four panes in BW9, but not the Use tab. That's a nice feature, so when I can cobble together the pennies I'll be ordering. I know one thing, with any other major Bible software product there is no way I could keep pace with the upgrades due to the high prices. BW makes that possible.

ISalzman
07-25-2012, 12:56 PM
You're welcome, Scott. I was really excited to find out about the channel.

Irving

MBushell
07-26-2012, 11:12 AM
We are testing BW9 on Windows 8 now on a Samsung Series 7 pad. It will blow your socks off. People have been clamoring for an iPad version of BibleWorks and we have always insisted that the iPad wasn't up to it - not really. But the new intel-based pads running Windows 8 are going to make a huge splash - in my opinion. It makes the iPad look like a toy. Michael should have a video demo soon for you. Don't get me wrong. I have an iPad and have enjoyed it. But there is a huge difference between an iPad and an intel pad running WIndows 8. It is a little more expensive and the battery life is not as good yet, but that will improve. As for the RT Version of Windows 8 on an ARM pad - I really can't see that taking off. It is a direct competitor of the iPad in every way - but also shares its rather severe limitations. The new Microsoft intel surface running Win 8 will be incredible. It won't be out until early 2013, but in the mean time there will be a flood of Win 8 intel devices like the Samsung Series 7. I am pretty jaded these days. Don't get excited about much. But this is cool.
Mike

ISalzman
07-26-2012, 11:50 AM
Great news, Mike! I have held off on getting a tablet because I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of the Windows 8 Tablets. What a day that will be when I can enjoy true mobility with BibleWorks. What is meant by the RT Version of Windows 8? And, at some point, if you guys are planning to do a video with any recommendations of good Windows 8 Tablets, that would be amazing.

By the way, I am hoping that the Windows Tablets will come down in price and eventually be cheaper than the iPad. It stands to reason that they should, since only Apple produces the iPad. I assume, perhaps naively, that Windows will continue to allow the different equipment manufacturers (HP, Dell, Samsung, Sony, Acer, Lenovo, etc.) to produce Windows Tablets. Also, the news that the Battery Life of the Windows 8 Tablets is not as good as the iPad is a little disconcerting. It makes me want to hold off buying a Windows 8 Tablet until Battery Life gets a little better.

Irving

robrecht
07-26-2012, 12:18 PM
I too have been holding off on buying a tablet, waiting to see if Android software options and integration really catch up with the iPad. But now that may be a moot question for me, but still a wait. I typically prefer working on laptops anyway. Still, you can never have too many gadgets, right, so I'm anxious to see how this option will develop.

MBushell
07-26-2012, 06:27 PM
Great news, Mike! I have held off on getting a tablet because I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of the Windows 8 Tablets. What a day that will be when I can enjoy true mobility with BibleWorks. What is meant by the RT Version of Windows 8? And, at some point, if you guys are planning to do a video with any recommendations of good Windows 8 Tablets, that would be amazing.

By the way, I am hoping that the Windows Tablets will come down in price and eventually be cheaper than the iPad. It stands to reason that they should, since only Apple produces the iPad. I assume, perhaps naively, that Windows will continue to allow the different equipment manufacturers (HP, Dell, Samsung, Sony, Acer, Lenovo, etc.) to produce Windows Tablets. Also, the news that the Battery Life of the Windows 8 Tablets is not as good as the iPad is a little disconcerting. It makes me want to hold off buying a Windows 8 Tablet until Battery Life gets a little better.

Irving

There are basically two versions of Windows 8:

1. The RT version runs on a low power processor called ARM. It runs only full screen metro applications which can be bought only through the microsoft store. The price and batter life should be about the same as iPad. But it cannot run win 32 applications and hence cannot run Windows 7 applications. It will be low powerm and low cost but very limited in capability. On an ARM pad It is pretty much equivalent to iPad.

2. The other version is a full version of windows that can run any Windows 7 program, including BibleWorks. A new intel pad like the Samsung Series 7 Slate makes the iPad look like a toy. The down side is it is about 30% more expensive and consumes a little less than double the power. Samsung says 7 hours compared to 10 for an iPad but Samsung is likely being pretty optimistic. In my view the capabilities are so far above an iPad that it is no contest. One is a toy. One is a powerful tool. Don't get me wrong. I have an iPad and love it. But I was blown away by the first real intel pad running Wondows 8. No contest.

Personally I don't see how the RT pads can succeed in the long run. Maybe for people who just play games and tinker with social media. But it is very limited and totally controlled and locked down by Microsoft, like Apple does for iPad.

The Microsoft inte version of their Slate pad won't be out til early next year (the ARM version is imminent) but it may be worth waiting for. In any case you will have a flood of options. Maufacturers are on this like a tick on a dog.

BibleWorks is already running well on option 2. Just needs a little tweaking. We will probably do something at some point for option 1, but the platform really isn't suitable for full BibleWorks. It would need to be a radically stripped down version.

Hope this helps.

Mike

ISalzman
07-26-2012, 07:01 PM
Yes, thanks very much, Mike. Very helpful. I'm going to wait for the full Windows Version, not the RT Version.

robrecht
07-26-2012, 07:11 PM
Mike, is there a reason why you're specifying Windows 8? Does the Samsung tablet with Windows 8 run BibleWorks better than the same tablet running Windows 7?

MBushell
07-26-2012, 11:09 PM
Mike, is there a reason why you're specifying Windows 8? Does the Samsung tablet with Windows 8 run BibleWorks better than the same tablet running Windows 7?

Right now you would not see much difference in the way BW works. It works really well on win 7. Over time however we will add tweaks and features that utilize win 8 only capabilities. And keep in mind that win 8 is redesigned with touch screens in mind. It is a lot more fun on a pad computer than win 7. But if you want to run BW on a pad computer under win 7, the samsung slate will do it pretty well. Right now it is the only reasonable choice but that will change dramatically in a month or two.
mike

ISalzman
07-26-2012, 11:48 PM
BibleWorks on a Windows 8 touchscreen pad is going to be awesome, Mike. Can't wait. Thanks for the great forward and progressive thinking.

bkMitchell
07-27-2012, 09:01 AM
... Over time however we will add tweaks and features that utilize win 8 only capabilities. And keep in mind that win 8 is redesigned with touch screens in mind. It is a lot more fun on a pad computer than win 7...

Fascinating news this is!:)

Sansom48
07-28-2012, 01:24 AM
I have to say that I have been very busy this year and not able to really get into the tools that BW 9 offers like I want to, hopefully that will change in the future. I love the videos and they do a good job of drawing me back into using those tools. I already saw the video of BW being used on the samsung tablet and I am very excited about this. I was thinking about very soon looking into an android tablet, but after seeing the video I think I will wait a bit longer to get the Win 8 to run BW.