PDA

View Full Version : Search for Tav Ending in 3rd Person Feminine Perfect Verbs

TimM
07-07-2012, 11:24 AM
Am trying to figure out a search that only returns the 3rd person feminine perfect verbs that use Tav instead of Heh (e.g., Ps. 51:7).

I can get all such verbs with .*@v?p3f* but can't figure out how to further craft this search to only return the Tav endings.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tim

Ben Spackman
07-07-2012, 05:45 PM
Am trying to figure out a search that only returns the 3rd person feminine perfect verbs that use Tav instead of Heh (e.g., Ps. 51:7).

I can get all such verbs with .*@v?p3f* but can't figure out how to further craft this search to only return the Tav endings.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tim

I'm traveling, and away from BW for a few days, but as I've done this search (or something really similar) basically you create that search on the command line and then open the graphical search engine. It will import that search. Then you're going to create a match, so that hits also must include a WTT ending in -t. That's how you do it, but I don't recall the buttons or menus to get in to. I think when you click on the WTM word box, there's a checkbox for "match spec" or something, and you check that and type it in. If that's not enough, I can post again sometime Sunday-Monday.

TimM
07-08-2012, 11:31 AM
Thank you, Ben. I found the matching spec. I have gotten pretty close to a correct result with the following spec:

??ת*

but I am still missing some and getting some false positives. Can't quite figure out how to insist that the ת be in a certain position (often in the 4th position, of course, but often not), nor have I figured out how to allow for both 1- and 2-consonant suffixes.

If you could take a look when you return home, I would appreciate it very much.

Time

Glenn Weaver
07-09-2012, 11:06 AM
Hi Tim,

Attached is a BibleWorks 9 query to find the verbs you specified using the extended codes with Suffixes added, and the corresponding WTT spelling. I also include a screenshot of the settings in one of the Word boxes in the Graphical Search Engine (GSE) so you can see how I put the query together. Notice also that I am using an OR box, and a Word Box for a 1st, a 2nd, and a 3rd person suffix. I expect that this should find them all, but of course you will want to check the search results. There may be a few search hits that you need to remove manually.

Ben knows his Hebrew better than I, so perhaps he can suggest some refinements to the search.

Blessings,
Glenn

Ben Spackman
07-14-2012, 06:19 PM
Sorry for not getting back to this earlier. I don't have a lot to add to what Glenn said (hey Glenn!). While there are probably going to be some false positives, I don't think there's a way to weed them out. Fortunately, there aren't that many occurrences to weed through.

Glenn Weaver
07-16-2012, 09:18 AM
Hi Ben, good to see you on the forums. Perhaps we could meet at Chicago at SBL, if you will be there. It has been a few years since I saw you. I trust that things are going well with you.

Blessings,
Glenn