PDA

View Full Version : Smarter lemma searches?

AbramKJ
06-23-2012, 12:37 PM
When I "search on lemma" in the Hebrew text in BibleWorks, I noticed that if a given word has a "I" meaning and a "II" meaning (i.e., same lemma but totally different meanings), both come up in my search. Is there a way to differentiate, i.e., search for just II 'mr without the results from I 'mr coming up?

Nord Zootman
06-23-2012, 03:21 PM
Which meaning is appropriate is a decision made based on the context. While we use lexicons to guide us, part of personally studying a passage is making those decisions yourself. A search based upon a certain meaning of a lemma would have to be based on someone's decisions. It would keep you from seeing the full range of possibilities.

Ben Spackman
06-26-2012, 08:55 AM
When I "search on lemma" in the Hebrew text in BibleWorks, I noticed that if a given word has a "I" meaning and a "II" meaning (i.e., same lemma but totally different meanings), both come up in my search. Is there a way to differentiate, i.e., search for just II 'mr without the results from I 'mr coming up?

Yes.
lemma@*Ha* will find the I meaning, *Hb* the second meaning, etc. It's the homonym code, hence H. I'm assuming you have some facility with the command line.

AbramKJ
06-26-2012, 09:36 AM
Indeed I do, Ben. Thank you! Exactly what I was looking for.