PDA

View Full Version : Critical Apparatus Genesis 38:9, 16, 18

reginatjuh
05-29-2012, 04:38 AM
Hi!

Does anybody know what is meant in the Critical Apparatus of Genesis 38:9, 16, 18?
I am thinking it has something to do with the masoretic punctuation, but I'm not sure. Can't find anything in the usual commentaries and grammarbooks..
Hope somebody can help me out!

bkMitchell
05-29-2012, 07:05 AM
Hi!

Does anybody know what is meant in the Critical Apparatus of Genesis 38:9, 16, 18?
I am thinking it has something to do with the masoretic punctuation, but I'm not sure. Can't find anything in the usual commentaries and grammarbooks..
Hope somebody can help me out!

Assuming you meant the BHS apparatus:

Gen 38:9 a sic L, mlt Mss Edd לאֹ

sic L — sic codex Leningradensis (underscores the reading in L)

However,
mlt — multi / many
Mss— Manuscripts
Edd — Editions

לאֹ is present in many manuscripts and editions but, L has לֹּ֥א. Gen 19:2 has a similar form as well.
The nikuddot (points) as wells the ta`amei (accents) differ from the vast majority of manuscripts.

Gen 38:16 a sic L, mlt Mss Edd ל sine dageš

Notice, the BHS and L have לִּ֔י

but, many manuscripts and edition have the lamed 'sine'(without) the Dagesh

Gen 38:18 a ut 16a || b ut 16a
ut= as verse 16 (this probably means that the issue in verse 16 in regards to the Lamed and dagesh is the similar to the issue in verse 18)

My advice for you would be to Check Mordechai Breuer's Tanakh(Hebrew Bible) as well as the Koren Tanakh, and Dotan's editions ( Or, even Meir Ha-Levi Letteris Tanakh and Norman Henry Snaith editions) at this point and compare and contrast them at these verses.