PDA

View Full Version : Searching for Hebrew letters

ugotdave
05-07-2012, 10:18 AM
I am having difficulty searching for two Hebrew letters.

I am trying to search for the last two letters of the proper noun "Simeon", {Vav | Nun(Final)} in Hebrew, but seem to be hitting a wall.

I have no problem constructing a English search, I just type .*on at the command line and it gives my all the instances where "on" appears.
Can any one show me how to do this for the Hebrew?

ISalzman
05-07-2012, 10:47 AM
The correct order of your string on the Command Line should look like this:

!w

Well, forget that, since I am having no luck with my string showing up in Hebrew characters!

The search string on your command line should show from left to right as follows (without the brackets, of course): {.} {final nun} {Vav} {*}

ugotdave
05-07-2012, 06:49 PM
For what ever reason it's not working.
I am running BW 8 and this is what I get when applying that search string.

Any suggestions?

Nick Laurence
05-07-2012, 07:20 PM
It's difficult to tell from the image, but it looks like your vav is actually a holem vav. This may be ultimately what you're looking for, but doesn't fit with what you set out in your opening post. I can search for .ון*@* in WTM, and it works fine. If you want to do it with vowels, I suggest switching to WTT.

ISalzman
05-07-2012, 08:31 PM
Switch your Search Version to WTT.

ugotdave
05-08-2012, 12:30 AM
Thanks for everyone's help, my ignorance was two fold.

1. I was using the wrong search version.
2. And I was trying to force the final nun at the end of my search string when just typing the nun would have worked. The program was smart enough to change it to the final form. My guess is because it was the last letter in the search string.

Issue resolved!!

ISalzman
05-08-2012, 10:39 AM
Dave,

In answer to your second point above, yes, BW is intuitive enough to use the final form of the Hebrew letter if it is the last letter in the string. The moment you type a subsequent letter, the final form is converted to the initial or medial form of the letter. Glad you got it resolved.

Irving