PDA

View Full Version : Updating suggestion

DavidR
05-04-2012, 04:12 PM
Every time there is a new update to BibleWorks, it includes several items that I don't use and never will. See the screenshot for the most recent list. I don't read Korean, Russian, or Chinese, and at this point in my life I don't think I'm going to learn. Nor am I interested in the Noyes or Rotherham Bibles. This isn't a huge annoyance, but it does make it harder to see what's there that I might really need to download and install.

So, I'd like to suggest that we get a new option in the Updates window, something along the lines of "Hide Selected in Future Updates." This would allow the user to mark specific items to be hidden from view the next time there's an update. Future updates might then contain three zones: besides Recommended and Optional Updates there would be Updates Previously Hidden by User, just a bar with a + sign at one end, no actual list of items. It would be possible to expand this by clicking the + so as to view the list of hidden updates should the user wish to, in case he or she had a change of mind. (Of course there may be much better ways to implement the basic idea.)

Just a thought, not a huge deal, but I wonder if others find the current system a little inconvenient.

Michael Hanel
05-04-2012, 04:21 PM
So, I'd like to suggest that we get a new option in the Updates window, something along the lines of "Hide Selected in Future Updates." This would allow the user to mark specific items to be hidden from view the next time there's an update. Future updates might then contain three zones: besides Recommended and Optional Updates there would be Updates Previously Hidden by User, just a bar with a + sign at one end, no actual list of items. It would be possible to expand this by clicking the + so as to view the list of hidden updates should the user wish to, in case he or she had a change of mind. (Of course there may be much better ways to implement the basic idea.)

Just a thought, not a huge deal, but I wonder if others find the current system a little inconvenient.

David, just such a feature is already there. Select the updates you want to hide and then under the Updates item in the menu choose Hide Selected Updates.

DavidR
05-04-2012, 04:59 PM
Well, so it is! Obviously, I never thought to actually look at that menu. Thanks, Michael, and apologies for all for the oversight!

Michael Hanel
05-04-2012, 05:15 PM
It's not a problem. I'm quite certain you're not the first to have asked because I can almost guarantee I've shared this exact piece of information with others here. No dumb questions here, just dumb answers.

DavidR
05-04-2012, 07:07 PM
No dumb questions here, just dumb answers.
Umm, sure that's quite what you meant to say? ;)

Michael Hanel
05-04-2012, 07:16 PM
Umm, sure that's quite what you meant to say? ;)

Absolutely. I'm just as prone to giving dumb answers as the next folk. I can almost always apologize for anything, especially my own lack of clarity. I'm just human after all.

ISalzman
05-04-2012, 10:27 PM
This is the weirdest thing, I know. My post has absolutely nothing to do with this thread (though I enjoyed reading it). But I can't get into the individual forums. When I click on them, I get a message saying that I don't have permission to access these forums. "So how did I get here?" you may ask. I clicked on the arrow to the last post in the forum and that was how I got in here. But I cannot access any of the other threads in this forum. Something must be up. Help!

Irving

Michael Hanel
05-04-2012, 11:38 PM
This is the weirdest thing, I know. My post has absolutely nothing to do with this thread (though I enjoyed reading it). But I can't get into the individual forums. When I click on them, I get a message saying that I don't have permission to access these forums. "So how did I get here?" you may ask. I clicked on the arrow to the last post in the forum and that was how I got in here. But I cannot access any of the other threads in this forum. Something must be up. Help!

Irving

I emailed the administrator earlier today about it. The problem he said was that the server host applied a security patch that broke things. They are in the process of getting it fixed, but I don't know the timeline of when it'll be fixed because it seems as though it's not up to BW to get it fixed, but the server host.

...<time passes>...

It looks like it has now been fixed, or at least it now works for me.

ISalzman
05-05-2012, 09:18 AM
I emailed the administrator earlier today about it. The problem he said was that the server host applied a security patch that broke things. They are in the process of getting it fixed, but I don't know the timeline of when it'll be fixed because it seems as though it's not up to BW to get it fixed, but the server host.

...<time passes>...

It looks like it has now been fixed, or at least it now works for me.

Fixed for me too now. Thanks.

Van Parunak
05-07-2012, 07:39 AM
Michael, thanks very much for the hint on hiding updates one doesn't want to see. Having done so, is there a way to re-enable them?

DavidR
05-07-2012, 10:25 AM
In that same dialog, click Options, then click Show downloaded/hidden patches. This will display a lengthy list of updates, both recommended and optional. If I'm understanding the display correctly, the ones you've downloaded and installed are in gray and the ones not yet downloaded and installed (including the hidden ones) are in black. However, mine showed several recommended updates, which I thought I had installed, in black. I checked and they are indeed present on my computer in C:\Program Files (x86)\BibleWorks 9\patches\applied. Therefore I decided against downloading them again, lest I end up going backward (I'm currently on 9.0.009k, and some of these were .0008 and .0007). At any rate, if you want to unhide things, that's the way to do it.