PDA

View Full Version : Search on Strong's Number without displaying the number in Browse window

Ruben Gomez
03-24-2012, 11:11 AM
Hi,

Could someone confirm whether BW9 (I haven't upgraded) allows one to search on Strong's numbers from the context menu without actually displaying the numbers? In BW8 this is not possible. Since the tagged Bible texts are, well, tagged, it seems that displaying the numbers (which, in my opinion clutters the window) should not be necessary to access this functionality.

Thanks!

Mark Eddy
03-24-2012, 08:19 PM
Yes, in BW9 you can do what you want. Your search version has to be one which has embedded Strong's numbers (e.g. KJV, NAU). On the command line type .@ plus the Strong's number you wish to search. You can also search for a word in your search version and a Strong's number. Help chapter 34 gives directions on how to do this, plus it has some examples. E.g. .man@444 will find all verses where "man" is used to translate "a;nqrwpoj".
Is this what you needed to know?
Mark Eddy

SkipB
03-25-2012, 09:06 AM
Reuben,
I don't have BW8 installed anymore, but I thought you could do it in 8. If nothing else, after completing a search, toggle off the codes before you go through your results list. That should make it easier to read.

Jim Wert
03-25-2012, 03:39 PM
Could someone confirm whether BW9 (I haven't upgraded) allows one to search on Strong's numbers from the context menu without actually displaying the numbers? In BW8 this is not possible. Since the tagged Bible texts are, well, tagged, it seems that displaying the numbers (which, in my opinion clutters the window) should not be necessary to access this functionality.

:(The short answer is no; you cannot simply right-click on a word in a tagged version, and select the "Search on Strong's number" option -- it isn't in the context menu. You do need to use the command line.
:)However, if you have "show word tips" turned on, or are displaying the "Analysis" tab in the Analysis window, the Strong's number will be displayed in either/both of those places, so you can easily enter that number as ".nnnn" on the command line to do the lookup. Not quite as simple as two clicks, but still not too onerous.
But this has not changed -- both BW7 and BW8 could do it. (I don't know about BW6 or earlier -- I first met BW in its BW7 guise)

Ruben Gomez
03-26-2012, 03:18 AM
:(The short answer is no; you cannot simply right-click on a word in a tagged version, and select the "Search on Strong's number" option -- it isn't in the context menu. You do need to use the command line.
:)However, if you have "show word tips" turned on, or are displaying the "Analysis" tab in the Analysis window, the Strong's number will be displayed in either/both of those places, so you can easily enter that number as ".nnnn" on the command line to do the lookup. Not quite as simple as two clicks, but still not too onerous.
But this has not changed -- both BW7 and BW8 could do it. (I don't know about BW6 or earlier -- I first met BW in its BW7 guise)

Thank you, Jim. That's exactly what I wanted to know. I wasn't interested in entering Strong's numbers on the command line. Right-clicking and searching is what I had in mind. I, for one, would like to be able to right-click on a word in a tagged Bible and have the ability to search on the corresponding Strong's number, as well as have the word highlighted (as opposed to the number).

Thanks!

MGVH
03-26-2012, 05:33 PM
Is that what you are asking?

Jim Wert
03-26-2012, 09:28 PM
MGVH:

I think Ruben wants to do it without the Strong's numbers showing.

Could someone confirm whether BW9 (I haven't upgraded) allows one to search on Strong's numbers from the context menu without actually displaying the numbers?

MGVH
03-26-2012, 11:48 PM
Ah, yes... Now I see, says the blind man. :cool:

Ruben Gomez
03-27-2012, 02:09 AM
MGVH:

I think Ruben wants to do it without the Strong's numbers showing.

Exactly! Sorry if it wasn't clear.