PDA

View Full Version : "LORD" using small caps?

MGVH
03-23-2012, 12:00 AM
It has been traditional in many English translations of the Hebrew OT to render the tetragrammaton as LORD.
BW has preserved this in the English translations that follow this convention.
Technically, however, it should be LORD using small caps, not simply capital letters. (I can't show it here, since it isn't a font option.)

In one way, this is helpful because I can search for instances of "LORD" (and not Lord or lord) by using the GSE to do a case sensitive search or using a regular expression search (which starts with a tilde ~) in the command line.
BUT...
When I want to quote text in the editor or use it in my word processor, I have to go through and convert LORD to LORD with small caps. Not a big deal, but still...

So, is there anyway in BW to employ small caps, either in the Browse window text or at least in the editor?

I'm floating this out here a) in case I'm missing something and b) to see if enough people think it's worth asking BW to put on their to do list.

Thanks.

jimofbentley
03-23-2012, 10:29 AM
Thanks Mark, I never noticed it before.

Personally, I would prefer it if the translator's would use Yahweh for the Tetragrammaton.

This would help people to easily see the divine name does occur, and it would also help on those 299 (or so) occassions where the Hebrew has Adonai Yahweh , and would eliminate the NIV's awkward "Sovereign LORD".

It would also be of help in those occassions where the text is "Yahweh of armies/hosts" instead of the NIV's "LORD Almighty".

Not to mention when we are reading in English and read "lord" or even "Lord", and have to stop and think, "which lord? Oh, wait, no captials".

Nick Laurence
03-23-2012, 07:24 PM
I agree with Jim that translations should stop mistranslating the tetragrammaton (but it looks like few are going to listen - sigh). In the meantime, you could search using one of the translations provided by BW that does get it right - the NJB is a good example.

I don't think you can get BW to correct LORD to LORD automatically. You could do something in a word processor like MS Word, but it'd be a bit of a fiddle.

Lee
03-23-2012, 09:27 PM
In response to the original post, Yes, it would be nice if BW would use small caps to duplicate the KJV's, et al., rendering of the Tetragrammaton. I don't see it as an earth-shaking necessity, but it would be preferable.

DavidR
03-26-2012, 10:27 AM
I'm with Lee: it would be a worthwhile improvement, but not a high priority.

SE Schul
03-27-2012, 01:51 PM
For those involved in research, the small caps issue is probably a minor nuisance at best...but for those of us who are in parish ministry, chronically pressed for time, and who have to spend extra minutes "fixing" handouts and devotionals to include large/small caps, this would little modification would be received with much gratitude.

Rev. Scott Schul
St. Matthew Lutheran Church
Martinsburg PA
www.stmatthewlc.com
www.facebook.com/stmatthewlc