PDA

View Full Version : TBT vs SCR

Jim Wert
03-10-2012, 07:17 PM
I'm curious about why BW has both TBT and SCR.

Recently "Recommended Updates" for both were issued, which re-activated the itch I first got when BW announced that one of the new versions for BW9 is TBT, which was described as "essentially the same as SCR"

When I used BW Text Comparison Export to compare them, it told me "0 / 37791 verses different".

Anyone have any information about this?

The Version tab of the Analysis pane says this for TBT:

TBT and TBM

TBT
The Trinitarian Bible Society Greek New Testament. The text is essentially the same as The New Testament in the Original Greek According to the Text Followed in The Authorized Version, F.H.A. Scrivener (Cambridge: 1894). See the SCR and SCM versions in BibleWorks.

TBM
The morphology for Scrivener was produced by Maurice Robinson.

The Version tab of the Analysis pane says this for SCR:

SCR and SCM

SCR
The New Testament in the Original Greek According to the Text Followed in The Authorized Version, F.H.A. Scrivener (Cambridge: 1894). The BibleWorks text was produced by Randy Leedy working under contract to BibleWorks working from the 1894 edition of Scrivener's.

SCM
The morphology for Scrivener's was produced by Maurice Robinson.

--Jim

MBushell
03-10-2012, 07:37 PM
We paid someone (Randy Leedy) to do a careful proof of the Scrivener Greek New Testament against a known edition. The text we had was from Maurice Robinson which had no accents or punctuation. We added accents via computer prgram but it was woefully inadequate so the edit was needed. The Trinitarian Bible Society also uses Scrivener but we could not get anyone to tell us who transcribed the text or if there were any differences, so we asked Randy to compare with the TBS edition with Scrivener at the same time. I don't remember the exact conclusion but we did find a significant number of differences. It may well be that they all affect only accents and punctuation and those differences are not picked up by the cpmarison tool uless you tell it to. The best way to compare them on this level is to export both to CCAT format and use a public tool like Winmerge to compare them.

Mike

Jim Wert
03-11-2012, 12:08 AM
Thanks Mike,

I've been playing around, both with BW compare and KDiff3. I mustn't have had "Accent/Vowel Sensitive" checked in the Comparison Settings window.

Concerning the differences between TBT and SCR:
BW Compare found 9 verses with accent differences.
KDiff3 on the CCAT unload found 50 verses. A spot check showed capitalization differences as well as accents and punctuation.

BW compare seems to be sensitive to search version and verse mapping:
When search version was TBT or SCR it generated spurious differences for each verse in GNT that was mapped to more than one verse in TBT/SCR.
When search version was GNT or BGT or NRS it found only the 9 verses with actual accent differences.

--Jim

DavidR
03-11-2012, 05:05 PM
So the conclusion would be that TBT and SCR are identical as far as the actual Greek words are concerned, the only differences being in accents, punctuation, and capitalization, all of which are the work of modern editors, not ancient scribes (at any rate scribes of uncial MSS) anyway. Correct?