PDA

View Full Version : Saved tab sets/contexts and version updates

DavidR
03-03-2012, 04:11 PM
I think this has been discussed before, but I did some searches and couldn't find it. I have some saved contexts/tab sets (.swc files) for specific purposes, e.g., psalms.swc. When saving or loading these, I notice an ever increasing number of files such as 9.0.007b-bw900lg.swc and 9.0.007b-psalmslg.swc. I've never tried loading one of these, but I suspect they are some kind of temporary or transitional file that the program creates when updating from one minor version to the next, and maybe when loading a saved context/tab set.

My question is, is there any harm in deleting these? Are there certain ones I should be sure to keep? They're small, between 3 and 9 KB mostly, so it's not a question of disk space, it's just that they clutter up the Save and Load dialogs and distract my eye from the file I'm trying to find.

MBushell
03-03-2012, 05:48 PM
I think this has been discussed before, but I did some searches and couldn't find it. I have some saved contexts/tab sets (.swc files) for specific purposes, e.g., psalms.swc. When saving or loading these, I notice an ever increasing number of files such as 9.0.007b-bw900lg.swc and 9.0.007b-psalmslg.swc. I've never tried loading one of these, but I suspect they are some kind of temporary or transitional file that the program creates when updating from one minor version to the next, and maybe when loading a saved context/tab set.

My question is, is there any harm in deleting these? Are there certain ones I should be sure to keep? They're small, between 3 and 9 KB mostly, so it's not a question of disk space, it's just that they clutter up the Save and Load dialogs and distract my eye from the file I'm trying to find.

All the files that begin with a version number are backups of settings. One is saved every time the version number is changed. You can delete them in the checkpoint dialog. I would keep the latest few just in case but there is no harm indeleting all of them.

Mike

DavidR
03-03-2012, 06:30 PM
Thanks, Mike. I notice that the checkpoint deletion process (took me a minute to find it, but I did!) removes the associated .swc as well as .ini and .log files, but leaves behind an .exe file. Could/should those be deleted as well (keeping the most recent couple of them), or left alone?