PDA

View Full Version : Update problem

smkraeger
02-28-2012, 05:10 PM
I just updated my BW9 from the recommended updates. Now, every time I try to look up a command line word or phrase, it is very laggggggggggy, which was never a problem before. I type the command line ".Paul", for example, and when I hit "P" it takes about 10 seconds before I can type the next letter.

Is anyone else having this problem? How do I resolve this?

Thanks!

Shane

Michael Hanel
02-28-2012, 06:18 PM
I have the latest updates and don't experience any lag. Not sure what the problem would be, it sounds like a database problem if it has to do with the searching, but I'd advise contacting their official tech support to see if they know what it is.

MBushell
02-28-2012, 11:39 PM
I just updated my BW9 from the recommended updates. Now, every time I try to look up a command line word or phrase, it is very laggggggggggy, which was never a problem before. I type the command line ".Paul", for example, and when I hit "P" it takes about 10 seconds before I can type the next letter.

Is anyone else having this problem? How do I resolve this?

Thanks!

Shane

It is unlikely that it is a BibleWorks problem, though all things are possible in cyberspace! SOmething like this happens periodically to me and it is usually some system service that has decided to start up, like a virus checker or defragger. You could initialize youe BW ini file just to be sure, but there have been no reports of a widespread problem of this nature. When it happens check your drive light and see if it is indication high drive usage.

Mike

MBushell
02-29-2012, 05:02 PM
It is unlikely that it is a BibleWorks problem, though all things are possible in cyberspace! SOmething like this happens periodically to me and it is usually some system service that has decided to start up, like a virus checker or defragger. You could initialize youe BW ini file just to be sure, but there have been no reports of a widespread problem of this nature. When it happens check your drive light and see if it is indication high drive usage.

Mike

Well, I guess I missed that one. There were other reports of this and with an ini in hand I investigated. For some yet unknown reason the the Keyboard Layout id for English was being overwritten with an invaild id. I posted a new exe that will cause the Keyboard Layout id list to be reinitialized.

Since I don't know what caused it, I cannot guarantee it won't happen again. If it does just go to the Keyboard Layout window (the button on the buttonbar that looks like a keyboard key) and select a vaild English keyboard layout for the English language. In the mean time I will continue to investigate.

If you see the problem again send me a message please with your e-mail address.

Mike

ISalzman
03-02-2012, 07:55 PM
Hey Mike,

For those of us who haven't yet done the most recent update, would you recommend that we hold off on doing so pending the results of your further investigation?

Thanks,

Irving

MBushell
03-02-2012, 08:48 PM
Hey Mike,

For those of us who haven't yet done the most recent update, would you recommend that we hold off on doing so pending the results of your further investigation?

Thanks,

Irving

There haven't been any new reports of the issue so I think it it safe. But I will be monitoring the forums over the weekend (not the Lord's Day though) and will respond quickly if there are problems. But so far looks good. There has been a lot of activity lately because we are working through a long list of backlogged bug reports.

Mike

ISalzman
03-02-2012, 08:56 PM
Thanks, Mike.

Irving

Gontroppo
03-29-2012, 11:55 PM
G'day
I can't get BibleWorks to work, after installing the latest update.

I get a message saying that the program is rebuilding a database and then a message saying BibleWorks is closing down.

Until this is fixed, how do I go back to an earleir version, please?

Attie Bogaards
03-30-2012, 12:39 AM
G'day
I can't get BibleWorks to work, after installing the latest update.

I get a message saying that the program is rebuilding a database and then a message saying BibleWorks is closing down.

Until this is fixed, how do I go back to an earleir version, please?

I get the same message and BW9 stops working. I cannot get it going. I am forced to reinstall.

Attie Bogaards

Biagio
03-30-2012, 02:58 AM
I am having a similar problem. After updating, BibleWorks 9 opens, attempts to update a database, stops working and then not longer functions. I have to terminate the process in Task Manager. Then I start it up again and it does the same exact thing. Can any one help?

Andrew Chuter
03-30-2012, 03:55 AM
I am having a similar problem. After updating, BibleWorks 9 opens, attempts to update a database, stops working and then not longer functions. I have to terminate the process in Task Manager. Then I start it up again and it does the same exact thing. Can any one help?

I've got the same problem!

Andrew Chuter

tom
03-30-2012, 06:17 AM
I've got the same problem!

Andrew Chuter

Hi folks,

I've got the same problem too!

After installing the latest update (now it is Version 9.0.008v.1) I get this message:
"Rebuilding MDB file: bgt.mdb
BibleWorks is performing the specified update tasks. After these tasks have been completed BibleWorks will restart automatically."

But during this process - after two or three minutes - BibleWorks is crashing and closing down.

What can I do?

Thomas J. Schaum
Germany

bobvenem
03-30-2012, 07:38 AM
To temporarily avoid the crash loop, go into the init directory in BibleWorks 9 and click on the latest BW9 executable file (mine is 9.0.008s-bw900lg.exe). The program will work fine and avoid running the file update routine that crashes the software.

Alternatively, Mike Bushell will no doubt post an update ASAP which fixes it.:cool:

Gontroppo
03-30-2012, 07:44 AM
Thanks for your help, Bob
David McKay

Dan Witte
03-30-2012, 08:12 AM
My thanks, as well.
Dan Witte

Glenn Weaver
03-30-2012, 09:04 AM
I'm sorry that you experienced this crash bug. I have been able to reproduce it, and have sent a message to our programmers about it. I expect that a fix will be coming shortly.

Until a fix is posted, you can revert to an earlier executable by doing the following:

With BibleWorks closed, hold down your Shift key and click on the BibleWorks icon to open the program. This opens the Troubleshooting window. At the bottom, under Option 3, there is a button that says "Restore Previous Version (restore checkpoint)". Click this button.

In the BibleWorks Checkpoints window, scroll to the bottom of the checkpoints and select the last checkpoint. Now click the button that says "Restore the selected checkpoint". This causes BibleWorks to restart, using the previous executable file, ini file, and context files.

This should return you to the state of BibleWorks before the last update. If you continue to have problems, you can contact our Customer Support for further help, via the link in my signature line.

Blessings,
Glenn

Andrew Chuter
03-30-2012, 09:05 AM
My thanks, as well.
Dan Witte

And thanks from me!
Andrew

Nord Zootman
03-30-2012, 09:17 AM
Thanks Glenn! I had that problem this morning, came here, and found the answer. I'm still working on Sunday's message, and you just made my day much better!

fishfishf
03-30-2012, 09:21 AM
Wow! Never saw such a good and simple way to restore an older Version. brilliant :-) Thanks. You saved my day!

I'm sorry that you experienced this crash bug. I have been able to reproduce it, and have sent a message to our programmers about it. I expect that a fix will be coming shortly.

Until a fix is posted, you can revert to an earlier executable by doing the following:

With BibleWorks closed, hold down your Shift key and click on the BibleWorks icon to open the program. This opens the Troubleshooting window. At the bottom, under Option 3, there is a button that says "Restore Previous Version (restore checkpoint)". Click this button.

In the BibleWorks Checkpoints window, scroll to the bottom of the checkpoints and select the second-to-last checkpoint. Now click the button that says "Restore the selected checkpoint". This causes BibleWorks to restart, using the previous executable file, ini file, and context files.

This should return you to the state of BibleWorks before the last update. If you continue to have problems, you can contact our Customer Support for further help, via the link in my signature line.

Blessings,
Glenn

Glenn Weaver
03-30-2012, 09:25 AM
I edited my earlier post to say to restore the "last" checkpoint, rather than the "second-to-last checkpoint".

I agree that the system to revert to an earlier version is very nice. The BW programmers did a nice job on this. It isn't needed very much, it really comes in handy when it is needed!

Blessings,
Glenn

MBushell
03-30-2012, 10:20 AM
That's what I get for posting new executables at night. Sorry about that.

The simple fix is to delete the restart01.txt file from your BibleWorks root folder and restart the program. But reverting to an older version should work as well.

I have posted a new executable. It will start by rebuilding a file that may have been corrupted by the last executable. Then all should be well.

In case you are curious, I inadvertently left some debug code in that write some debug info to my desktop. My desktop is different from yours, so the write failed and crashed. Not so smart of me.

Let us know if you have further problems. Mea cupla.

Mike

Nord Zootman
03-30-2012, 11:00 AM
I have posted a new executable. It will start by rebuilding a file that may have been corrupted by the last executable. Then all should be well.

Mike

Thanks Mike. I just updated again with no problem at all. I appreciate your quick response.

tom
03-30-2012, 11:16 AM
[...] I have posted a new executable. It will start by rebuilding a file that may have been corrupted by the last executable. Then all should be well [...]

Now it works.
Thank you very much!

Thomas

brainout
04-27-2012, 01:03 AM

In the BibleWorks Checkpoints window, scroll to the bottom of the checkpoints and select the last checkpoint. Now click the button that says "Restore the selected checkpoint". This causes BibleWorks to restart, using the previous executable file, ini file, and context files.

Blessings,
Glenn

I'm having the same problem with BW8 after updating. Takes a good 90 seconds for BW8 to load now, and then when I want to change to a different Bible book or even a different verse in the same book, I have to wait another 90 seconds before it changes. I deleted all my tabs, checkpoints, and had no other software running. Streamlined all the option flags. It takes longer if the current Favorite has many Bible versions in it, but it still takes a good 60 seconds.

Any way we can roll back the update, without checkpoints? Or is re-installing the only option (groan, I have a lot of modules). Thank you for your time!

Further testing on the lag: the lag is longer when changing between OT and NT, and when changing verses within some but not all, books. Lag in changing verses in Daniel, for example, is a good 90 seconds. None of this happened before the latest update. Hence the query on how one can roll the update back. If it matters, I'm using XP Home with all current service packs installed, on an Acer Aspire One with 1GB Ramm. Will be moving the program to another XP Prof machine when my computer guy finishes building it, and will reinstall BW8 on that machine, see if the lag disappears.

Dan Phillips
04-27-2012, 11:44 AM
I seem to have lost most of my hair. Do you think that that's related to the update? Can you do something about it?

brainout
04-27-2012, 03:05 PM
I seem to have lost most of my hair. Do you think that that's related to the update? Can you do something about it?

Yeah: get a better yarmulka. :)