PDA

View Full Version : Migrating from 8 to 9 - how to move settings

MortenJensen
02-27-2012, 06:15 AM
Hi all
I know there must be another post or two about this - but could not locate it ... sorry.
I am about to upgrade from 8 to 9 and need help on how to move my settings.

First: I am switching from a PC to a mac, and I am right now on a trial version of Fusion which works flawlessly.

However, the "migrating" feature tools/importing-exporting is NOT showing - so I guess, I have to do it manually.

Is there a step by step instruction?

THX!

Morten

PS: One more thing: How is that I get BW to show more than one Lexicon in the Analysis window? By right clicking on the name, you can change default lex - but I would like to have all my lexs shown in a specific order.

Michael Hanel
02-27-2012, 11:58 AM
Are you updating BW8 to BW9 on the same computer? I don't know if it works any differently on a Mac or not, but on a PC, if you are going from 8 to 9 on the same computer you can run the Migration Tool under the menu Tools | Importing\exporting information | Migrate Settings and Files.

MortenJensen
02-27-2012, 03:50 PM
Hi Mike
I have only installed bw9 on the new computer - is that the reason, I don't get any Migration option? That line is simply not there ...
Morten

Michael Hanel
02-27-2012, 05:36 PM
Hi Mike
I have only installed bw9 on the new computer - is that the reason, I don't get any Migration option? That line is simply not there ...
Morten

Correct, the Migration feature is meant to work on the same computer. If you're working with different computers, you'll have to copy files manually.

There are various threads that talk about which files need to be transferred, see here (http://www.bibleworks.com/forums/showthread.php?5228-Transferring-settings-on-reinstall&highlight=transfer+settings) or here (http://www.bibleworks.com/forums/showthread.php?5015-Transferring-Settings&highlight=migrate+features), for example
(http://www.bibleworks.com/forums/showthread.php?5228-Transferring-settings-on-reinstall&highlight=transfer+settings)

MortenJensen
02-27-2012, 07:07 PM
Thanks again, Mike.
I am down to one important thing now going through the proces manually: Options/Bible Versions/Favorites.

For some reason, no "save" feature is included there (as in Book Names etc.).

How do I transfer my Favorites-settings?

Uhh, this is important to me, since I have invested most of my access to books in a number of Favorites compilations.

Can it be migrated?

Morten

DavidR
02-27-2012, 07:48 PM
Morten, I have this same issue every time I upgrade BW. I really think that Favorites needs to be included in the settings transfers in the future.

Here's the procedure that I've developed: Your Favorites are stored in bw800.ini, which is in the BibbleWorks 8 program folder. You can open this file, and the bw900.ini file in your new BibleWorks 9 setup, with Notepad or any other text editor. Obviously you want to be really careful not to mess anything up here!

There will be two entries/paragraphs in the .ini file relating to Favorites. Use the text editor's search function, searching on "favorites," to find them. The first has the form:
FavoritesNames=FavoriteName1|FavoriteName2|Favorit eName3|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| ||||||||||
These are the names you've chosen that appear as Favorites in BW's menus. All the extra vertical bars at the end are just fine; they are blank spaces for future Favorites.
The second entry has this form:
Favorites=NRS WTT NIV NRS VUL BGT TAR PES|NRS WTT NIV NRS VUL BGT VUO TAR PES|NRS NRS WTT BGT||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||| |||||||
These are the lists of versions that you've associated with the Favorite names. Here too the items in the entry are separated by | vertical bars, with lots of blanks at the end for future additions. The sequence in the FavoritesNames entry and the Favorites entry are the same; you'll see that the version-groups match the Favorites as you've designated them.

Once you've found these two entries, the process is simple: select/highlight the two entries in bw800.ini, copy them to the clipboard, open bw900.ini in the text editor, find the Favorites entries using the search function, select/highlight them, and paste from the clipboard to replace the blank entries with your new ones. Obviously you want to be careful that there are not two sets of Favorites in bw900.ini; be sure that the original, blank set is deleted and replaced by your customized set.

This is indefensibly awkward, clunky, and subject to error; but AFAIK it's the only way to do it without manually recreating all your Favorites.

If you also have Parallel Favorites set up, you'll see a PFavoritesNames entry in bw800.ini just after the Favorites entries; and (a few lines later, for some reason) a corresponding ParallelFavorites entry with the version abbreviations in proper order. You can copy these over to bw900.ini in the same way.

Hope this helps! But please be careful while editing these .ini files. I hereby disclaim any responsibility for problems that may be caused!

MortenJensen
02-29-2012, 05:54 PM
Thanks, David - it is working for me as well now.

One thing: Would you mind sharing the collections you have made? Actually i think that Bibleworks should work out a standard set. There are so many hidden gems in BW - so many texts - that you all to easy loose sight of it all.

Morten

DavidR
02-29-2012, 08:52 PM
Well, the very diversity of everything that BW has may be what keeps them from wanting to recommend a standard set. What I have developed so far, reflecting my preferences in English and other texts, is:

FullHB+NT = NRS WTT NIV NRS VUL BGT TAR PES
Psalms = NRS WTT NIV NRS VUL BGT VUO TAR PES (this adds VUO to get the Vulgate Psalms from Hebrew)
MinimalHB+NT = NRS WTT BGT
FullNT = NRS NIV NRS VUL BGT PES
MinimalNT = NRS BGT
FullHB = NRS WTT NIV NRS VUL BGT TAR
MinimalHB = NRS WTT BGT

You can see the patterns. I've been thinking of throwing NET into the "Full" mix as well.