PDA

View Full Version : Text Comparison Question

basilides
02-21-2012, 12:27 PM
Is this possible in BibleWorks 9? I want to compare two (or better yet three) Greek versions, with the differences among the two or three in different colors, of course, and then export, say, the entire (two / three) books of (Greek) Mark. Can this be done? I clicked on "Export" and I saw the message "comparing versions," but no indication was given where this two-file comparison was copied. Any advice would be deeply appreciated.

Jim Wert
02-21-2012, 10:51 PM
Is this possible in BibleWorks 9? I want to compare two (or better yet three) Greek versions, with the differences among the two or three in different colors, of course, and then export, say, the entire (two / three) books of (Greek) Mark. Can this be done? I clicked on "Export" and I saw the message "comparing versions," but no indication was given where this two-file comparison was copied. Any advice would be deeply appreciated.

Firstly, when you click on an "Export" button in the little "BibleWorks Text Comparison Settings" window BW exports a list of all verses that BW found to have differences to the Search Pane.

Secondly, you can do what you want to do. I'll describe one way to do it.

From the Menu at the top of the main window, select "Tools", "Viewing the Text", "Text Comparison Settings".
Use three of the four " Versions to Compare" slots to set up the three possible combinations of your three versions. (I used "scr trg2", "scr wht", and "trg2 wht".)
Be sure that Enable is checked for all three of these slots, and is not checked for the fourth slot.
Press F1 to get BW help "Comparing Bible Versions" to decide which options to use. Click on "Apply" button, and "Close".
When a word or phrase could be one of two colours (version A differs from both version B and version C) BW seems to choose the colour for the pair defined last, instead of mixing the two colours together.
Click on the "Copy" button right under the Search command line, and select "Popup Copy Window".
Click on "Favorites" button and select "Configure Popup Copy Favorites ...".
This brings up a complicated and confusing window. Trial and error, with assistance from the BW Help (F1) are my recommendation for dealing with it.
A few suggestions:
-Create a new "Favorite in the "Favorite Settings for this Menu Option ..." slot. The default ones have names like "Copy to Clipboard", "Copy to Existing BW Editor", etc. You probably want a special purpose one for this project.
- Until you have the output format options working the way you want, work with a few verses rather than the whole book of Mark. This will save a lot of time.
- I opened "Editor" in my Analysis Pane, and chose "Last BibleWorks Editor Window" as "Where to Copy the verse list ...". This made it easy to try out different formatting options.
- List your three Versions in "What Versions to include". "All display versions" can be cranky.
- Check "Export Colors (hit Highlighting)" -- this is a little misleading, it gives you any highlighting, not just the hit variety.
- Note the "Interleave Versions" format option. It will give the 3 versions of verse 1, then the 3 versions of verse 2, etc. Otherwise, you get the whole book of Mark in version 1, then the whole book in version 2, ...
Click on "OK" button so BW will record your choices.
Now you are back at your "Popup Copy Window". If your formatting is OK, key in "Mar 1:1-16:20 and click on the "Copy" button. It will take some time for BW to process it all, and near the end there is a frightening period of time when my computer freezes (about 10 seconds, but it feels much longer).

I hope this is helpful, and isn't so detailed as to be insulting. (My now adult children still often preface a question with "Please give me the short answer".

--Jim

basilides
02-21-2012, 11:48 PM
Thanks for your troubles, Jim, but this procedure will not do. It's not your fault, of course. It should be a simple procedure, consuming not more than a few mouse clicks. I'm sure I have done this before, perhaps it was on an earlier version of BibleWorks. Anyway, here is a suggestion for BibleWorks 10, namely, a simple method to compare Bible versions (by color coding, a function already built into BibleWorks 9), plus a user-friendly export function.

MBushell
02-23-2012, 09:28 PM
Thanks for your troubles, Jim, but this procedure will not do. It's not your fault, of course. It should be a simple procedure, consuming not more than a few mouse clicks. I'm sure I have done this before, perhaps it was on an earlier version of BibleWorks. Anyway, here is a suggestion for BibleWorks 10, namely, a simple method to compare Bible versions (by color coding, a function already built into BibleWorks 9), plus a user-friendly export function.

I am not sure why the outlined procedure "will not do." Time spent learning how to do it isn't wasted. Once you learn how to do it, the next time it will seem trivial.

Imagine what it is like from a programmer's perspective. We have had literally thousands of requests over the years from people wanting BibleWorks to do something. And they all want to do it with a couple of clicks. There are so many variations on what you want to do that there is no way for us to implement the task without settings to determine which variation is desired. There is no way around that. In this case what you want to do can in fact be done with a few clicks. And once the defaults have been changed it can be done again in less than 10 seconds. I hope you will take the time to learn how to do it. If you like you can call the office and one of the guys will walk you through it.

Mike

basilides
02-24-2012, 09:23 AM
Sorry, Mike, for getting under your skin a little due to my careless remarks. As I said, I thought I had already carried out this procedure once before on a previous version of BibleWorks (I have been with the software from almost the very beginning), and it took only a few mouse clicks, or so I remember (I could be completely mistaken, though).

But I still have the file, with two Greek version compared by color. I don't remember going through all the steps Mr. Wert so thoughtfully and kindly outlined above. Maybe there is another method in BibleWorks to accomplish the same goal that I stumbled upon. Be that as it may, it would be nice in future versions of BibleWorks to streamline this procedure just a hair, if possible. Just a suggestion.

MBushell
02-25-2012, 06:54 PM
Sorry, Mike, for getting under your skin a little due to my careless remarks. As I said, I thought I had already carried out this procedure once before on a previous version of BibleWorks (I have been with the software from almost the very beginning), and it took only a few mouse clicks, or so I remember (I could be completely mistaken, though).

But I still have the file, with two Greek version compared by color. I don't remember going through all the steps Mr. Wert so thoughtfully and kindly outlined above. Maybe there is another method in BibleWorks to accomplish the same goal that I stumbled upon. Be that as it may, it would be nice in future versions of BibleWorks to streamline this procedure just a hair, if possible. Just a suggestion.

You didn't get under my skin. Sorry if I sounded that way. Communication by e-mail and forum post sure has its limitations. I suppose I could make better use of emoticons but I really hate those things and feel nerdy every time I use them. :cool:

hink BW can give you what you want. We tried to make it so you could set up favorites that automate the steps for doing things like this. Then it is just a couple of clicks. The problem is that there is a learning curve for setting up the favorites. I wish there was a way around that. Having things both simple and customizable is probably not ultimately possible.

I appreciate the input and we will try to do better. I have given some thought to the idea of a script engibe in BibleWorks. The scripts could do complex tasks and they would require a learning curve. But they could be shared and customized. In this case we could just send you a script. I think the idea has possibilities, though sometimes in our attempts to make things easier we just wind up making them more difficult. Do you think this has any merit?