PDA

View Full Version : Version 9.0.0007n "Experimental stuff"?

DavidR
02-16-2012, 11:04 AM
When I started BW 9 just now, it informed of available updates. I looked them over and downloaded and installed several. However, under BibleWorks Executable, the last entry in the list of updates was this: "9.0.0007n Experimental stuff."

How's that? Anyone know what "stuff" this is exactly, and what kinds of experiments it involves? I don't mind being a beta tester sometimes, if I know what I'm testing. OTOH, with lots of stuff on my plate right now, I'm not interested in installing an "experimental" update blindly.

Anyone know what the deal is with this?

Michael Hanel
02-16-2012, 12:45 PM
When I started BW 9 just now, it informed of available updates. I looked them over and downloaded and installed several. However, under BibleWorks Executable, the last entry in the list of updates was this: "9.0.0007n Experimental stuff."

How's that? Anyone know what "stuff" this is exactly, and what kinds of experiments it involves? I don't mind being a beta tester sometimes, if I know what I'm testing. OTOH, with lots of stuff on my plate right now, I'm not interested in installing an "experimental" update blindly.

Anyone know what the deal is with this?

I haven't a clue what the update is about*, but generally they don't intentionally post EXE files that are thought to be unstable. In the past, if they did that they would provide them with the bold word PREVIEW. In the past when I've had a rare issue that doesn't seem to have affected a lot of other users, they've privately posted an EXE that you had to enter a code for just to make sure it worked and didn't create any new issues before they post it for everyone. Within the last year there's only been one EXE that they posted that I've found to be unstable and they resolved that one within a day or so.

* the latest updates seem to be about increasing keyboard support both in the Editor and command line. Chances are you aren't one of the ones using an odd keyboard configuration, so one would think the new exes will not create any changes in how you use BW. The other thing I know they're working on is improving support for BW in CrossOver, so some of these experimental updates might be incremental steps for that project too.

DavidR
02-16-2012, 01:55 PM
Thanks, Michael. I also think it would be very much out of character for BW to post an unstable update. However, even if all that's involved is fixing situations that don't apply to me, I'm going to wait for the next one before I download. What I've got (9.0.007b.1) works fine, and there's always a chance that an "experimental" fix for someone else's problem could break something that's working OK for me.

I would just want to suggest that "Experimental stuff" is too vague to use as a description in a list of updates. I realize they can't go into great detail about what's changed, but I really think they can (and generally do!) do better than that.

MBushell
02-16-2012, 09:31 PM
Thanks, Michael. I also think it would be very much out of character for BW to post an unstable update. However, even if all that's involved is fixing situations that don't apply to me, I'm going to wait for the next one before I download. What I've got (9.0.007b.1) works fine, and there's always a chance that an "experimental" fix for someone else's problem could break something that's working OK for me.

I would just want to suggest that "Experimental stuff" is too vague to use as a description in a list of updates. I realize they can't go into great detail about what's changed, but I really think they can (and generally do!) do better than that.

You are right that it probably wasn't the most useful description. It generally means that the update is deemed safe but fixes were made which though experimental, were considered better than what was there previously. We've been dealing with keyboard issues, among other things. In general we don't post something with a high probability of causing widespread problems. Those are generally posted with access codes so they are only visible to a few people for testing.

We sometimes post "expeimental" executables that contain fixes which we think are working well, but we need a wider range of testers (users) to be sure. It is a sort of minor caveat but not a strong one. If it is Saturday night and you are putting finishing touches on a sermon, then it might be best to avoid "experimenta" posts. Monday would be OK :-)

Mike

DavidR
02-17-2012, 10:16 AM
Thanks, Mike. I'm already beta-testing v. 10 of Nota Bene, a multilingual scholars' word processor that plays very well with BW. I'm not feeling like taking on any more test projects, though. No offense! :)

calvary
02-20-2012, 04:24 AM
Thanks, Mike. I'm already beta-testing v. 10 of Nota Bene, a multilingual scholars' word processor that plays very well with BW. I'm not feeling like taking on any more test projects, though. No offense! :)

I'm beta testing NB 10 as well. So far okay. :)

Not really on topic. :o
Dave