PDA

View Full Version : Lexham Old Testament

basilides
02-16-2012, 12:26 AM
When will the recently finished Lexham English Old Testament be available for installment into BibleWorks?

Michael Hanel
02-16-2012, 12:58 AM
When will the recently finished Lexham English Old Testament be available for installment into BibleWorks?

A public e-text has not yet been released, so that obviously needs to happen first. It won't ever be in the BibleWorks main package though because of licensing restrictions. So it's up to users to provide it for other users.

DavidR
02-16-2012, 11:59 AM
What is (are) the Lexham version(s) exactly? What is their origin and aim?

Joan Korte
02-16-2012, 05:44 PM
What is (are) the Lexham version(s) exactly? What is their origin and aim?

This may help to answer your questions: http://www.lexhamenglishbible.com/download/LEB.pdf

DavidR
02-16-2012, 09:06 PM
Thanks, Joan. What an interesting undertaking. I can see where it could be useful to people in the early stages of learning Greek. I appreciate the translator's clarity about the principles employed and the reasons for them, and his willingness both to render expressions idiomatically when necessary, and to signal when he is doing so.

Dan Phillips
02-16-2012, 11:39 PM
FWIW, I Tweeted some impressions I had (https://twitter.com/#!/search?q=%23Lexham) in glancing over some particularly interesting (to me) spots.

Dan Phillips
05-03-2012, 08:23 AM
Any progress on having the whole Lexham Bible available to BW9? Darlack? Anyone?

...Bueller?

Michael Hanel
05-03-2012, 01:54 PM
Any progress on having the whole Lexham Bible available to BW9? Darlack? Anyone?

...Bueller?

Was that you volunteering?? :cool:

jdarlack
05-04-2012, 11:20 AM
Thou shalt not take the name of the Darlack in vain. :)

I can't make any guarantees as to when I can get it together. I'll see what can be done. It won't be immediately though . . . I'm swamped (working full-time and taking classes full-time is not very conducive for getting BW projects done). :)

Dan Phillips
05-04-2012, 11:48 AM
That is so funny. I actually think of you as "the Darlack," to the point that I thought I might've said it in my post.

GET OUT OF MY MIND!!!!!!

Dan Phillips
01-04-2013, 04:36 PM
Still no Lexham Bible in BW.

Looks like it would be easy enough for BW to acquire, if I'm reading this right (http://lexhamenglishbible.com/license/).

'Tain't perfect, but any non-cultic translation that doesn't secret-code "Yahweh" gets at least fourteen bonus points with me, going in.

Michael Hanel
01-04-2013, 06:05 PM
Still no Lexham Bible in BW.

Looks like it would be easy enough for BW to acquire, if I'm reading this right (http://lexhamenglishbible.com/license/).

'Tain't perfect, but any non-cultic translation that doesn't secret-code "Yahweh" gets at least fourteen bonus points with me, going in.

The text is freely available, so you need to get working on putting in BW. I think I can confidently say BW themselves will never put it in their program. This line in their license is somewhat of a poison pill

If you give away the LEB for use with a commercial product, or sell a work containing more than 1,000 verses from the LEB, you must annually report the number of units sold, distributed, and/or downloaded.

In business terms it means BW would have to report their sales figures to Logos. In the business world that's a non-starter.

EzekielNine
01-09-2013, 05:06 PM
The whole Lexham Bible is available as a free text file download.

I'm a software engineer, and tried an experiment with it. I wrote a small C++ program that extracts the lines from the text file, and puts them in a standard form like this:

Gen 1:1 In the beginning ...

This the same as the export format for the BibleWorks version that I have.

I noticed a few things along the way. One is that the LEB omits around 20 verses relative to the KJV, and adds two (3 John 1:15 and Revelation 12:18). It's possible to synch up the versions in various ways, for example by inserting dummy verses for those that are omitted.

Another thing is that the leadin to some of the Psalms ("for the music director") are treated as separate from the first verse, and I have not tried to merge them in.

Another point is that the text version uses embedded notes, like this:

Gen 1:2 Now<note: Or "And"> the earth was formless and empty, and darkness [was] over the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God [was] hovering over the surface of the waters.

Mark Eddy
01-09-2013, 09:12 PM
The whole Lexham Bible is available as a free text file download.

I'm a software engineer, and tried an experiment with it. I wrote a small C++ program that extracts the lines from the text file, and puts them in a standard form like this:

Gen 1:1 In the beginning ...

This the same as the export format for the BibleWorks version that I have.

I noticed a few things along the way. One is that the LEB omits around 20 verses relative to the KJV, and adds two (3 John 1:15 and Revelation 12:18). It's possible to synch up the versions in various ways, for example by inserting dummy verses for those that are omitted.
There is no need to add any "dummy verses" for BibleWork. The Version Database Compiler will automatically add any such verses which are needed. I suspect that many of these verses are missing from the Nestle/Aland Greek N.T. but were in the Textus Receptus. Also the verse map files for BibleWorks allow multiple verses to display together, if necessary. In the cases of 3Jo 1:15 and Rev 12:18 this is not necessary, since the Greek Bible contains those verses. So the Lexham Bible will display properly without any additions to the verse map file.

Another thing is that the leadin to some of the Psalms ("for the music director") are treated as separate from the first verse, and I have not tried to merge them in.
Again, you do not need to do this. The Hebrew Bible usually has separate verses for these headings of the Psalms. So when you compile this version, it will automatically display with the correct Hebrew verse. And other English versions have already been "mapped" to display their verse 1 with the Hebrew verses 1 & 2. If these headings do not have a verse number in front of them, after compiling they either will not display at all, or they will display as the end of the previous Psalm. Either case would be easy to fix.

Another point is that the text version uses embedded notes, like this:

Gen 1:2 Now<note: Or "And"> the earth was formless and empty, and darkness [was] over the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God [was] hovering over the surface of the waters.
BibleWorks can handle such notes in the Version Database Compiler. However, it has very specific syntax for these notes to be read correctly. E.g. <note: Or "And"> in BibleWorks would have to be typed <N1> after the word "Now." And at the end of the verse you would need: {<sup>1</sup> Or "And"}
All the information you need to do this is included in the BibleWorks Help chapter for the Version Database Compiler.
Mark Eddy

Dan Phillips
01-10-2013, 11:09 AM
So you brainiacs let me know when there's a file ready for idiots, with accompanying idiot-instructions, to put into BW.

Jim Wert
01-10-2013, 05:13 PM
So you brainiacs let me know when there's a file ready for idiots, with accompanying idiot-instructions, to put into BW.

And here I thought that the goal was to have Idiot-proof instructions.:rolleyes:

--Jim

Dan Phillips
01-11-2013, 09:49 AM
Beggars can't be choosers. Idiots, either.

:cool:

ISalzman
01-13-2013, 10:36 PM
Which reminds me of a funny story. Back in the early 1990s, when everybody started getting their own personal computer, a ton of "How-to" computing primers suddenly started flooding the market. I remember going with a ministry colleague of mine into a Staples store and perusing their book rack. My friend noticed two different books. One was "Windows For Dummies." The other was "The Idiots Guide to Windows." He was thumbing through each and couldn't decide which he should get. Finally, he flagged down a sales representative and asked him "Excuse me, but which of these two books would be better for me?" At that point, the sales rep took a long, deliberate glance at my friend and finally answered: "You look more like an idiot to me."

calvary
01-15-2013, 04:30 PM
which reminds me of a funny story. Back in the early 1990s, when everybody started getting their own personal computer, a ton of "how-to" computing primers suddenly started flooding the market. I remember going with a ministry colleague of mine into a staples store and perusing their book rack. My friend noticed two different books. One was "windows for dummies." the other was "the idiots guide to windows." he was thumbing through each and couldn't decide which he should get. Finally, he flagged down a sales representative and asked him "excuse me, but which of these two books would be better for me?" at that point, the sales rep took a long, deliberate glance at my friend and finally answered: "you look more like an idiot to me."

lol!!!!!!!!

DavidR
01-15-2013, 06:16 PM
Well, of all the ways for a person to lose their job, that would be one of the more enjoyable. :) It's good that your colleague had a sense of humor about it; at least I hope he did!

BTW, I sent this little story to my sister who wrote The Complete Idiot's Guide to Understanding the Amish. She'll get a kick out of it.

ISalzman
01-15-2013, 08:31 PM
Hey David,

Yes, my friend did have a sense of humor about it. I guess he had no choice though, since I was laughing so hard at the time. Neither of us said anything about it to the sales rep's bosses, so he never lost his job over it. But it was a priceless memory for me. I've told that story numerous times and it never fails to crack people up. My ministry colleague set himself up for that remark, I guess.

I hope your sister gets a chuckle out of it. Sounds like her book would be interesting. I've always enjoyed spending time in Lancaster, PA. So the Amish have always been of interest to me.

Irving

Joshua Luna
12-25-2013, 09:41 PM
I am going to take my hand at converting the Lexham English Bible. I am posting this here so I won't lose my notes on what I am trying to do as well as provide others a starting point just in case I can't get it done. If I successfully convert the file I will revise and correct the below notes. The Biblework's instructions for importing a Bible translation and it seems relatively straightforward. With a caveat: The LEB notes may be a hangup but I am going to try changing those from <note: > to {note: } and hope that works. The other "hurdle" is all the book names and chapter headings need to be removed which is more of a time & elbow grease issue :) This will be a particular issue as some verses/note go onto a second line so this will need a manual repair. I am going to use NotePad+ so that will do a lot of find/replace and empty line space removal.

Thanks to the Unofficial Blog for the NT conversion and tips http://bibleworks.oldinthenew.org/?cat=40

I will let others know how this goes, but after reading the material this is the approach I will try first--any issues please pipe in before I spend too much time making silly mistakes :)

-----------
BW Importing Rules
-----------

1. One verse for each line.
http://www.bibleworks.com/bw9help/bwh37_VDC.htm

2. No spaces between lines.
http://www.bibleworks.com/bw9help/bwh37_VDC.htm

3. Must use the Bibleworks naming convention.
http://www.bibleworks.com/bw9help/bwh42_Abbreviations.htm#BookNameAbbreviations

-----------
LEB Special Format Conversion
-----------

LEB.txt source markup:

{idioms}

[supplies words]

<note:>

Target markup for compatability:

==================================================
WHAT SOURCE TARGET
--------------------------------------------------
Book Names Ge 1:12 GEN 1:12
Idioms {idiom} idiom
Notes <note:> {note:}
Supplied words
==================================================

-----------
LEB Example
-----------

RAW INPUT

Ge 1:11 And God said, "Let the earth produce green plants [that will] bear seed--fruit trees bearing fruit {in which there is seed}<note: Literally "which its seed [is] in it">--according to its<note: Or "their"> kind, on the earth." And it was so.

TARGET OUTPUT

GEN 1:11 And God said, "Let the earth produce green plants [that will] bear seed--fruit trees bearing fruit in which there is seed {note: Literally "which its seed [is] in it"}--according to its{note: Or "their"} kind, on the earth." And it was so.

-----------
Process
-----------

Step 1. Remove introductory material.

Step 2. Remove all book headings. TIP: Search for a long series of dashes to find each section.

Step 3. Remove all chapter headings. TIP: FIND/REPLACE with a blank space.

Step 4. Remove all blank lines. TIP: Notepad+ has an auto feature for this.

Step 5. Convert markup. TIP: FIND/REPLACE.

Supplied words are inbrackets in the LEB raw text like this: [supplied words]

The BW instructions indicate you can italicize with <i></i> but also notes [] work so I won't changes those at this time.

Ps. Be careful with Isaiah (Is-to-ISA) and Song of Songs (So-to-SOL) as find and replace can alter the main text.

Not sure what to do with all the Psalm titles, e.g.

Ps 138:title Of David.<note: The Hebrew Bible counts the superscription as the first verse of the psalm>
Ps 138:1 I give you thanks with my whole heart; before [the] gods I sing your praise.
Ps 138:2 I bow down toward your holy temple and give thanks to your name, because of your loyal love and faithfulness, for you have magnified your word<note: Or "promise"> according to all your name.<note: Or "beyond all your name">

Mark Eddy
12-26-2013, 01:11 AM
Not sure what to do with all the Psalm titles, e.g.

Ps 138:title Of David.<note: The Hebrew Bible counts the superscription as the first verse of the psalm>
Ps 138:1 I give you thanks with my whole heart; before [the] gods I sing your praise.
Ps 138:2 I bow down toward your holy temple and give thanks to your name, because of your loyal love and faithfulness, for you have magnified your word<note: Or "promise"> according to all your name.<note: Or "beyond all your name">

Put the information for "Ps 138:title" after Psa 138:1 before the actual (English) verse 1. That is what most versions do. You may wish to put the titles in square brackets [] to distinguish between the title and the first verse. This would put everything in the "title" in italics.
Mark Eddy