PDA

View Full Version : Transferring settings on reinstall

FredGreco
02-07-2012, 06:38 PM
I did a reinstall of my PC. After reinstalling Bibleworks 9, and copying the BW900.ini file (as described the BibleWorks Knowledge base here (http://kb.bibleworksllc.com/ikb/questions.php?questionid=74)), I am having a problem I cannot get my tabs back to the settings they had. That is, I had set up one tab for reading, one with a Greek search version, one with a Hebrew search version, etc. Where can I transfer those settings from? I have a complete backup (from a disk image) of my old installation.

Michael Hanel
02-07-2012, 07:44 PM
from BW Help chap. 7:

Backing Up FilesIt is always a good idea to do full system backup before installing major programs. If you choose not to do this you should at least be careful to backup all files from previous installations of BibleWorks that you might want to keep. These include:

Timeline Files (*.era and .tl)
GSE Searches (*.qf)
Verse List Files (*.vls)
Word List Files (*.iel)
Note Files (*.bww and *.rtf)
Book Name Alias Files (*.bna, *.bnb, and books.dat for 4.0 installations)
Book sort order files (*.bso)
Cross-reference files (*.xrd)

Synopsis Files (*.sdf)
Database Definition Files (*.ddf)
Custom Verse Mapping Files (*.vmf, *.vmc)
Font Mapping Files (*.fmp, *.map)
Color Files (*.clr)
Diagrammer File (*.dgm)
Context files (*.swc)
Ermie files (*erd)
Flashcard files (*.vrc, *.vrt)

As a safety precaution, if you attempt to install BibleWorks in a directory containing a previous installation of BibleWorks you will be warned that some user-defined files may be overwritten or deleted. You will be offered the option of having the files backed up by the installation program. You can also exit the Setup Program and check yourself for files that you may want to keep, or you can proceed with the installation.

From that, I believe that the tabs are .swc files.

DavidR
02-07-2012, 08:22 PM
Yes, the .swc (whatever exactly that stands for -- "search window context" maybe) are the tab-setting files. Fred, if you have customized tabs and saved them, it will show up as a .swc file in the \init folder under the main BibleWorks program folder. If you didn't specifically save your customization, it should still be there in a bw900.swc file or the like.

I find it tremendously useful to create and save sets of these. I have one called "clean.swc" which is just basic tabs with no searches, etc. I use others for various teaching, research, and writing projects. Handy, for instance, when preaching from lectionary texts to have a search tab and one tab each for OT, Psalm, Epistle, and Gospel.

For those not familiar with saving these tab sets, just right-click on any tab above the command line and select Save Tabs to Disk or Load Tabs from Disk. Before saving, it's often convenient to give the tabs brief labels ("Srch," "OT," "NT," etc.). Right-click a tab and select Set Tab Title.