PDA

View Full Version : Revised English Bible

Gontroppo
01-31-2012, 08:51 PM
I would love to have a copy of The Revised English Bible in BibleWorks. It doesn't seem that the publishers are very keen on promoting their own version. As far as I can make out, you can get access to an electronic copy on their own website for 139 per year or you can get a copy in Accordance.

I have an old print copy that was second-hand when I bought it.

It is one of the few Bibles i own which I have not read all the way through. Yet.

I find it interesting and quirky and think it is certainly worth consulting. I like the way that it is not slavishly aligned with the KJV-RSV-NASB- NIV tradition and has fresh translations of familiar passages.

David McKay

www.gontroppo.blogspot.com

DavidR
01-31-2012, 10:35 PM
I'd second that, though of course it would depend on the cost, to BW and then to us users.

The REB's predecessor, the New English Bible, was attached to my arm in the early 70s. :) It was, as you suggest, a radical departure from the KJV - Revised version tradition back then, especially in that it was not an individual's project (like Goodspeed or Phillips) but produced by a committee of scholars. And it was specifically intended to have literary quality; the translators' work, if I remember rightly, was passed by a literary committee. It was probably too great of a departure to become popular, and it did indeed have some notable quirks. The REB cut back on the quirks, but retained much of the distinctive nature of the NEB. It is more a functional equivalence than a formal equivalence translation, but it is still a translation, not a paraphrase.

I've always thought that the NEB and REB deserved a wider audience. And hey, it's just clumsy to have done all my translation-comparison in BW and then still have to trundle off to my bookshelf for the REB. :D

Yaku Lee
02-01-2012, 07:18 AM
I, too, would like it very much to have a look at what is going on after ERV (1885) in the place where Tyndale-KJV tradition originated long ago, that is, if BW would make REV available to BW users.

With regards

Jim Wert
02-01-2012, 01:22 PM
It would be nice to have REB; what I'd most like to see in BW are New English Bible and Jerusalem Bible.
Both were innovative translations, and both were revised back towards the norm, so I find REB and NJB less interesting. (The same thing happened with the American Bible Society; Good New Bible did a good job of staying away from traditional holy language but Contemporary English Version regressed towards the norm.)
I have not been able to find REB, NEB, or JB online.
Another translation that I value that I haven't been able to find in electronic format is Moffatt's.
At least if a version is in electronic format it can be adapted for BW.

--Jim

MGVH
02-01-2012, 10:02 PM
Another translation that I value that I haven't been able to find in electronic format is Moffatt's.
--Jim
Well... You could get WordSEARCH9 or BibleExplorer4 (both are free in their minimal packs), then go here (http://www.wordsearchbible.com/catalog/Moffatt_The_New_Testament_A_New_Translation_MOF_20 14.html) and get Moffatt which currently is available for free.

Jim Wert
02-02-2012, 06:23 PM
Thanks, Mark.

(Even though Wordsearch has only the New Testament. My earliest memory of Moffat is using it as a youngster to discover what Isaac was really doing with Rebekah:
KJV Genesis 26:8 And it came to pass, when he had been there a long time, that Abimelech king of the Philistines looked out at a window, and saw, and, behold, Isaac was sporting with Rebekah his wife.)

Now, do you by any chance have a program in your back pocket to convert a Wordsearch database to a BW database?