PDA

View Full Version : bw600.exe takes up 99% CPU!!!

ericjdaniels
10-25-2004, 06:47 PM
I open BW. Use it, then shut it down. For some reason it stays running in the background, and takes up 99% of my CPU.

Any help would be great.

Eric

arggem
10-25-2004, 08:15 PM
Sorry if I'm insulting your intelligence (I really don't mean too!), but have you done a cold reboot (shut down completely then restarted you computer)?

Sometimes that clears up some rather inexplicable problems.

Joe Fleener
10-25-2004, 08:19 PM
I have never seen that happen.

I have several applications open. I just opened BW 6.0. As it was opening my total CPU usage went as high as 94% with BW taking as high as 97% of that, however, that was very briefly.

With BW open, my CPU hangs around 12% with BW using less that 4%.

I just closed BW, it jumped to 13% of a 25% used CPU. Now that it is closed it is not showing at all.

ericjdaniels
10-25-2004, 08:59 PM
I have rebooted, and it comes back. (no insult at all).

It doesn't happen every time, just lately for some reason. I will work with it, then shut it down. Then my computer runs real slow. So I wonder what is going on. Then I think to check the Task Manager for any issues, and there it appears?! Strange.

I have not uninstalled and reinstalled BW yet. I may have to do that and see if it persists.

Anyway, thanks for helping me reason through this.

Take care,

Eric

Joe Fleener
10-25-2004, 09:23 PM
I'll admit I have never looked at the CPU usage after having been in BW for awhile and then closing it.

I just finished up working in it for quite sometime, closed down and then check...it was gone.

I will keep an eye on it tomorrow. I will be doing a training class for 6+ hours with BW, so I will check the task manager to see what I can see.

arggem
10-25-2004, 09:37 PM
Like the title says, I'm grasping at straws here (whatever that means). Here are some of my routine things to check when I am having problems like this, or when I am helping someone else.

1. Do you have an antivirus running, and is is UPDATED?

2. Have you checked for any problematic malware-type programs? Two FREE ones that I use are

Adaware: http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/ and

SpyBot Search and Destroy: http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html

ericjdaniels
10-26-2004, 11:54 AM
The basic computer problems that might impact this issue are all fine. I am a militant spyware/malware/virus/update/maintanence person. So all of the basics, and most of the "more advanced" reasons for this are probably fine.

Other than that...thanks for the input and the research. Like I said. It is strange. It doesn't happen all the time. But when it does, boy do I know it. Know errors appear in the event log either.

Thanks again,

Eric

Joe Fleener
10-26-2004, 08:38 PM
I checked today after three hours of BW use, clsed it and did not see BW as an active process.

Now after 5 hours of having my laptop running with BW, Netscape and Word, I ran out of memory and had to reboot. But again, when I closed BW it was no longer active, before I rebooted.

Sorry, but so far not seeing it here.

Andrew Calvert
10-26-2004, 11:34 PM
I know I am coming in on the end a discussion, and many great suggestions have been made, but I cannot help but wonder if you have recently ran a defrag program (i.e. diskeeper). I know that when my computer starts to slack along running that defrag program helps a great deal.

Andrew

ericjdaniels
10-27-2004, 04:15 PM
Thanks for the suggestions Andrew. But I am pretty ridiculous with the upkeep on my computer. Too much so to be honest. So, for instance, I defragged last night. And the last time I probably did it was a week or 2 ago.

But good thought. Thanks again,

Eric

arggem
10-27-2004, 09:46 PM
How about a REPAIR INSTALLATION, using the Setup disk?

Repair
Running this option will reinstall BibleWorks using the options that you selected when you originally installed BibleWorks. If this does not repair any problems that you are having, you should run the RESETUP.EXE program on the first installation CD. This will insure a fresh reinstallation.

Have you checked directly with Charlie at support?

vr8ce
10-29-2004, 11:27 AM
Thanks for the suggestions Andrew. But I am pretty ridiculous with the upkeep on my computer. Too much so to be honest. So, for instance, I defragged last night. And the last time I probably did it was a week or 2 ago.
Eric
Sounds like it's time for RegMon/FileMon, from sysinternals.com. If the PC is doing something with the registry or files during that 100% usage (and it's almost guaranteed to be one or the other), they'll tell you what it's doing. I had a ridiculous slowdown when opening and closing BW a couple of weeks ago (took 1+ minute to do either), and it turned out to be BW trying to access a network drive I had assigned that was no longer valid. I have no idea why BW was trying to access it as it wasn't on the PATH (meant to report it, but haven't had time), but when I deleted the drive mapping BW went back to opening and closing snappily.

Vince

ericjdaniels
11-01-2004, 01:41 PM
I will try both options when I get a chance. Actually...it hasn't happened in awhile. It is kind of a waiting game right now. Who knows, maybe it was a glitch that won't return. Ahhh, the Windows life.

Anyway, thanks for the help. We'll see what happens.

Blessings,

Eric