PDA

View Full Version : Apostolic Fathers update

Michael Hanel
01-16-2012, 07:08 PM
Not 100% sure of this, but I think this only applies to BW9 users. If you run the updater, you should notice a download for Apostolic Fathers updates. I wrote about those updates on the unofficial BibleWorks blog. You can read up on it here (http://bibleworks.oldinthenew.org/?p=1088).

Lee
01-16-2012, 09:04 PM
What a bonanza! Thanks for all your work on this, Michael.

DavidR
01-16-2012, 10:55 PM
Michael, this is remarkable! Thank you so much. I just did a manual check for updates, and indeed there were the new and updated Apostolic Fathers texts. I'll now be able to use these texts in BW with much more confidence!

Michael Hanel
01-16-2012, 11:06 PM
The Lake texts are the ones I would use as your default texts. I did a fairly painstaking review of that text against the printed version. I'm not saying it's perfect, but it's gotta be pretty close. You know you're getting a good version when I end up finding mistakes in the printed version that I did not retain in the BW version. I should probably try to document those, but they were not extremely numerous, maybe one or two a book on average. The APF texts are there mostly as legacy versions. I don't see a lot of pay-off in trying to make the APF text back into the Lightfoot Greek text because Michael Holmes' new updates of the Apostolic Fathers are simply revisions of Lightfoot's text, so that if BibleWorks ever licensed Holmes' version of the Apostolic Fathers, you'd essentially have two different families of Apostolic Fathers texts. APF and Holmes is one family and Kirsopp Lake's edition is a different family.

The other project that still needs to be done is to note which vocabulary words in Apostolic Fathers do not currently pop up English glosses and then create them. Right now those pop up glosses that you see were made especially for the LXX and GNT. So words that do not appear in either of those usually come up as blank in Apostolic Fathers. But if we came up with a list of them, added glosses, then that problem could be fixed.

Michael Hanel
01-16-2012, 11:53 PM
Also I do realize there will still be errors in the text and in the morphologies. I've already found two mistakes tonight. :eek: If you ever come across errors in the Apostolic Fathers texts you want to see corrected, feel free to email me and I'll update the versions I sent BibleWorks, and eventually we'll weed out all the trouble spots. Plus it's really empowering to find places where you are smarter than BibleWorks. It helps show how much you really do know :)