PDA

View Full Version : CNTTS Apparatus: question regarding Acts 12:25 variation unit #12.

J Kendall
01-16-2012, 06:59 AM
I'm somewhat confused by some aspects of this entry in CNTTS, particularly the readings presented for Codex Sinaiticus. These don't seem to correspond with the textual apparatus of UBS4 or NA27 or, more significantly, with the photographs and transcriptions available to me. Am I missing something?

John
--
John Kendall
Cardiff
Wales

Michael Hanel
01-16-2012, 09:49 AM
I would seem to agree with you based on what I see too. The only possible way I could see that they are correct is if they have better access to better images of the MS, but right now even with different views of the image possible in BW, I don't see the reading they say is there and corrected.

You can email them at wwarren@nobts.edu and see if they still support it or believe it to be a typo.

J Kendall
01-16-2012, 10:42 AM
Thanks Michael. I've e-mailed Dr. Warren.

If anyone else has further information, I'd be grateful. I don't have access to Swanson's apparatus for Acts at the moment. I'd also like to check it for L020 and the other manuscripts cited as having the + εις αντιοχειαν variant.

John

Michael Hanel
01-16-2012, 10:47 AM
This is what Philip Comfort cites in his NT Text and Translation Commentary

Acts 12:25

eis Ierousalhm: WH, NA/USB, Aleph, B, Maj
ex Ierousalhm: P74, 33 (D and Psi have apo instead of ex)
+ eis Antioceian: (E) 1739 it(e,p,w) syr(p) cop(sa)

which isn't a lot more, but it is notable that he also puts Aleph in the eis reading.

J Kendall
01-16-2012, 06:48 PM
Thanks Michael.

I'd forgotten how much information is available via the NT Transcripts Prototype at: http://nttranscripts.uni-muenster.de/.

If you play around with it, it provides some extremely helpful displays. I've provided one below which confirms my concerns.

John

J Kendall
01-17-2012, 11:30 AM
Just to wind this up, Dr Bill Warren was very prompt in replying to my query. For any who are interested, here's his response, which he's given me permission to quote here:

John, this was the book we were working on when Hurricane Katrina struck and scattered us to the ends of the earth (almost), so I'm not surprised at the error. We've checked here now and found that indeed it was a "entry" error on our part from our data (the sources and collations we used were right, but the final files were not). We are reviewing that entire chapter since we worked chapter by chapter on the input just to make sure there are not other matters beyond that reading. Thanks for bringing this to our attention since that is how we can keep improving the database as well as find our entry (and at times collation) errors. Blessings,

Gracia y paz,

Bill Warren, Ph.D.
Director of the Center for New Testament Textual Studies
Landrum P. Leavell, II, Professor of New Testament and Greek
New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary

John
--
John Kendall
Cardiff
Wales