PDA

View Full Version : WHO textual variations

mycues
01-13-2012, 07:47 AM
I noted whilst carrying out some research, recently, that the Westcott & Hort Greek text of 1Peter 3:15, as shown in Bibleworks7, is as follows:
WHO 1 Peter 3:15 ku,rion de. to.n qeo.n a`gia,sate evn tai/j kardi,aij u`mw/n\ e[toimoi de. avei. pro.j avpologi,an panti. tw/| aivtou/nti u`ma/j lo,gon peri. th/j evn u`mi/n evlpi,doj( meta, pra|u<thtoj kai. fo,bou\

Whereas, the Greek text of my hard copy Westcott & Hort reads:

1 Peter 3:15 κυριον δε τον χριστον αγιασατε εν ταις καρδιαις υμων ετοιμοι αει προς απολογιαν παντι τω αιτουντι υμας λογον περι της εν υμιν ελπιδος αλλα μετα πραυτητος και φοβου

I believe that the second version shown here is the correct one, as I do not believe that W&H had any significant revisions in this area. Has anyone any ideas on this?

Michael Hanel
01-13-2012, 10:07 AM
I noted whilst carrying out some research, recently, that the Westcott & Hort Greek text of 1Peter 3:15, as shown in Bibleworks7, is as follows:
WHO 1 Peter 3:15 ku,rion de. to.n qeo.n a`gia,sate evn tai/j kardi,aij u`mw/n\ e[toimoi de. avei. pro.j avpologi,an panti. tw/| aivtou/nti u`ma/j lo,gon peri. th/j evn u`mi/n evlpi,doj( meta, pra|u<thtoj kai. fo,bou\

Whereas, the Greek text of my hard copy Westcott & Hort reads:

1 Peter 3:15κυριον δε τον χριστον αγιασατε εν ταις καρδιαις υμων ετοιμοι αει προς απολογιαν παντι τω αιτουντι υμας λογον περι της εν υμιν ελπιδος αλλα μετα πραυτητος και φοβου

I believe that the second version shown here is the correct one, as I do not believe that W&H had any significant revisions in this area. Has anyone any ideas on this?

W&H went through many editions, what is the edition/year of the copy that you're looking at? It's quite possible that your reading is from a different version.

Lee
01-13-2012, 12:41 PM
WHO? In BW9, Westcott & Hort is WHT, and reads the same as my print copy: κυριον δε τον Χριστον αγιασατε

MBushell
01-13-2012, 03:38 PM
WHO? In BW9, Westcott & Hort is WHT, and reads the same as my print copy: κυριον δε τον Χριστον αγιασατε

For BW9 both Westcott-Hort and Scriveners went through a completely new, very careful, reproof against the printed text. The W-H in previous versions of BW was based on the old Online Bible text. The new W-H also includes the variant readings in the printed W-H.

Mike