PDA

View Full Version : BW9 migration tools

DavidR
12-26-2011, 01:05 PM
Just wanted to say thanks for the new migration tools (Tools > Importing/Exporting Information > Migrate Settings and Files ...) in BW9. Not being aware of these, I had already copied most of my settings over by hand (mentally grousing that I had to do so -- my bad!). But it was great to get the Copy Favorites migrated in this way.

One thing that did not come over was Parallel Versions Favorites. In the migration dialog, I did check "Transfer main INI file (bw?00.ini) option settings where possible." I didn't check "Copy Init Folder files," heeding the warning "not recommended unless you know what you are doing," because I didn't quite. In the end, I manually copied the Parallel Favorites settings from bw800.ini to bw900.ini, without damaging anything apparently.

Anyway, thanks for adding this long-needed function.

brainout
04-08-2012, 02:55 PM
Just wanted to say thanks for the new migration tools (Tools > Importing/Exporting Information > Migrate Settings and Files ...) in BW9. Not being aware of these, I had already copied most of my settings over by hand (mentally grousing that I had to do so -- my bad!). But it was great to get the Copy Favorites migrated in this way.

One thing that did not come over was Parallel Versions Favorites. In the migration dialog, I did check "Transfer main INI file (bw?00.ini) option settings where possible." I didn't check "Copy Init Folder files," heeding the warning "not recommended unless you know what you are doing," because I didn't quite. In the end, I manually copied the Parallel Favorites settings from bw800.ini to bw900.ini, without damaging anything apparently.

Anyway, thanks for adding this long-needed function.

Thank you for posting this. I'm currently ruminating whether to merely upgrade to BW9, or to buy a separate version for my new computer (which is now being built). I wondered if as in prior versions, BW9 would make you recreate everything from scratch, a royal pain. Now I know at least some of my Favorites will be preserved, if I merely upgrade. Which I'd prefer, as I don't want to buy most of the modules, yet again, but don't want to run BW without them.