PDA

View Full Version : Do I have to buy a Windows Program in order to make Parallels work on my mac

Plr
12-15-2011, 11:51 PM
I am about ready to return my Bible works program tomorrow if I discover that I have to buy a Windows program in addition to a Parallels program. Do I have to buy a Windows program in order to make parallels work?

I am a little disgusted.

Michael Hanel
12-15-2011, 11:55 PM
I am about ready to return my Bible works program tomorrow if I discover that I have to buy a Windows program in addition to a Parallels program. Do I have to buy a Windows program in order to make parallels work?

I am a little disgusted.

Yes, that is how Parallels works. It provides a way to "seamlessly" run Windows programs (through Windows operating system (be it Windows 7, Vista or XP)) on a Mac. Parallels is not a replacement for Windows operating system. Sorry that you were misled in understanding how Parallels works. I'm not quite clear if you only bought Parallels to use BibleWorks, but if that's the case, you also may want to get a refund for Parallels because it's not much use without Windows operating system.

Soxfan23
12-16-2011, 02:53 AM
Yes, you need to purchase separately a windows OS in order for parallels to work. This isn't an issue with Bibleworks so I hope you're not disgusted with them. It's just the only way to get windows software to work well on mac computers. Mac users are actually very fortunate that they can do this. Apple is so exclusive they would never allow their OS to run on a PC (legally). For a windows OS you're looking at an additional $100-$200 I assume. I know, it stinks, but if you like Bibleworks that much you'll either fork up the cash or use windows-based PCs. Personally, the only reason I haven't switched over fully to Apple products is due to Bibleworks (and, of course, since I've been using Windows my whole life & know it well). It also helps that windows-based PCs are cheaper and the windows OS (windows 7, at least) is just as if not more secure than Mac OS. In fact, even though I have an apple desktop, I'm still under the conviction that, although Apple products are great & gorgeous, 90% of it is just hype. I've had the same dell laptop for over 4 years & have been nothing but satisfied & it still runs great. I'm hoping with Windows 8 that all platforms (PC, tablet, & phone) will somehow be unified & we'll be able to access Bibleworks from all of these devices. If Windows 8 turns out to be a flop, then I'll probably end up making the switch to Apple within 4-5 years. If Windows flops, perhaps by that time Bibleworks will actually be willing to make a compatible Mac version and jump on board with the mobile versions as well.

For native Mac versions I would either look at Accordance or Logos for Mac. Personally, I would choose Accordance because I believe it's more exegetically-based. It looks pretty good and is fairly intuitive as well (though a bit overwhelming). However, be warned that the amount of cash you'll spend on either platform to equal the amount of things you get in Bibleworks would be enough to purchase you a new mac computer in the end. Bibleworks is THAT much cheaper than the competition. I remember doing a rough estimate one time and comparable materials in Accordance would cost over $2,000 to only $350 for Bibleworks. Pretty crazy. The question you have to ask yourself is: "Do I need all of those extra features Bibleworks offers or can I manage with a stripped-down version of Accordance where I don't get half as much stuff?" Tough call. Learning a new platform like Accordance can take a significant amount of time too. So if you're already familiar with Bibleworks & you'll use many of the advanced features then it may be best to fork up the cash for Windows 7 to run on Parallels. I wish all of this could be simpler too :)

Adelphos
12-16-2011, 10:03 PM
I know this can be a touchy subject for some Mac and Win users, but I am just looking for bare facts here. To wit: what would you guestimate the learning curve from someone who has used Windows forever, but who never ever, ever, ever used a Mac?

I mean just a general up-and-running relatively competent ability on a Mac. A few weeks, months, I'm guessing. Again, not talking about being an expert, just being able to operate and run useful programs, like BW on Parallels and so forth.

Michael Hanel
12-17-2011, 10:45 AM
Based on there being three messages within the past week about Parallels, all by users without any previous posts, I'm starting to become more certain they're just spam. The other thread is kind of a dead give-away since there is a spam link at the end of the message.

Anybody care to prove me wrong?

jfidel
12-17-2011, 11:19 AM
Based on there being three messages within the past week about Parallels, all by users without any previous posts, I'm starting to become more certain they're just spam. The other thread is kind of a dead give-away since there is a spam link at the end of the message.

Anybody care to prove me wrong?

Why would this user reflect negatively on parallels if it is spam. There are more people moving to Mac and want to keep BW. As such there will be questions. BW I think has an article on using VMs for use on Macs. As to the other links, I don't know since I did not check.

jfidel
12-17-2011, 12:35 PM
I know this can be a touchy subject for some Mac and Win users, but I am just looking for bare facts here. To wit: what would you guestimate the learning curve from someone who has used Windows forever, but who never ever, ever, ever used a Mac?

I mean just a general up-and-running relatively competent ability on a Mac. A few weeks, months, I'm guessing. Again, not talking about being an expert, just being able to operate and run useful programs, like BW on Parallels and so forth.

Scott,
I converted over 3 years ago with no difficulties at all. I bought the Mac with Parallels and XP already installed. At first I thought I would be in the Windows environment quite a bit, but I find the only reason to venture over now is for BW and one other non-Mac bible software program.

The differences in the operating systems are easy to adapt to imho.

Does this answer your question?

Adelphos
12-17-2011, 01:56 PM
Scott,
I converted over 3 years ago with no difficulties at all. I bought the Mac with Parallels and XP already installed. At first I thought I would be in the Windows environment quite a bit, but I find the only reason to venture over now is for BW and one other non-Mac bible software program.

Yep, answers my question perfectly, especially when you say that the differences in OS's are fairly easy to adapt to. If I ever have the money and the time I may purchase a Mac and see what's what. If Jobs were still alive I'd be much more interested in doing it faster, but I've no idea how the company's innovations will fare now that he's gone. Got to admit, the guy was a phenom with IT.

ISalzman
12-19-2011, 05:05 PM
Yep, answers my question perfectly, especially when you say that the differences in OS's are fairly easy to adapt to. If I ever have the money and the time I may purchase a Mac and see what's what. If Jobs were still alive I'd be much more interested in doing it faster, but I've no idea how the company's innovations will fare now that he's gone. Got to admit, the guy was a phenom with IT.

Hey Scott, at last count, you were pretty satisfied with your new HP (Windows-based) computer. That hasn't changed at all, has it? (Your curiosity about Macs prompted my question.)

Irving

Adelphos
12-19-2011, 06:05 PM
Hey Scott, at last count, you were pretty satisfied with your new HP (Windows-based) computer. That hasn't changed at all, has it? (Your curiosity about Macs prompted my question.)

Irving

Hi Irving:

No, I'm perfectly happy with my HP and Windows. But I thought I might learn a little about the Mac, especially for programming purposes, plus I still don't know whether I'm going to get my wife a Kindle Fire or an IPad, so I thought I would maybe -- if time and money permit -- allow myself a Mac as a sort of hobby.

Actually, just between you and me, I was really interested in the Mac so I could rewrite BibleWorks from the ground up specifically for the Mac, then nobody could complain anymore! :cool:

But after having thought about it, I don't really have time to try to mess with another OS. Far too many more important things to do.

ISalzman
12-19-2011, 07:08 PM
Scott,

I gotcha. Merry Christmas by the way.

Irving

Adelphos
12-19-2011, 07:23 PM
Scott,

I gotcha. Merry Christmas by the way.

Irving

Batck atcha!

To you, Irving, and all my other online BW friends, Merry Christmas, Happy New Year.

If any of you are in my neck of the woods on Christmas Eve, come on over. I can guarantee you my wife will be friendly. Me? Who knows? I might be grumpy, or I might be nice, but either way, Jesus came on this day!

(at least, this day is the day we celebrate his coming!)

ISalzman
12-19-2011, 07:26 PM
Thanks Scott.

smiller
01-09-2012, 01:31 AM
:)If you are a student or teacher, you can get Windows (according to our seminary tech) for about $60. I think having BW on your Mac would be worth it. I just got a Mac at school last fall and run BW on Fusion. Works great.

I am a little disgusted.

MBushell
01-09-2012, 04:22 PM
Hi All,

Just FYI we are now formally investigating the possibility of officially spporting BibleWorks running on third party emulators on Mac and Linux. So far what we find looks promising. Re the question of this thread, BibleWorks does run under CrossOver, whch does not rquire a Windows license. Crossover is not free but it is not expensive either. It does have some problems, specifically with CHM files, but we are hopeful that we will eventually have a good, supported solution for our Mac and Linux users. I can't give any dates. The best I can do is tell you that this is something that we are now taking seriously.

Mike Bushell
BibleWorks

matthewdaybaltimore
01-09-2012, 06:00 PM
This is great news. Thank you so much.

ingosorke
01-10-2012, 11:09 AM
Thank you Thank you Thank you!
BW ranks top in my programs, but I "have to" live in a Mac world now.

Where do I sign up on a waitlist for a Mac-ported Bibleworks?
Do you take a deposit?

kennete
01-10-2012, 12:20 PM
Agree. This is great news

MBushell
01-10-2012, 01:01 PM
Where do I sign up on a waitlist for a Mac-ported Bibleworks?
Do you take a deposit?

Whoaah guys. Hold them horses. I did NOT say we were planning a Mac or Linux port. I just said we were planning on supporting those already running BibleWorks on emulators on Mac and Linux. In other words, our plans are to make whatever changes are needed in exisitng code so that all BW features will be available and we will be testing the emulators ourselves so we can assist people who have problems. Our position on doing a code conversion to Mac or Linux has not changed. It is not currently planned. We expect that Windows 8 will keep us busy for a while.

Mike

AbramKJ
01-10-2012, 08:32 PM
My horses are held. But this is great news. Also, I never knew about CrossOver. Running a free 30 day trial now, and all of a sudden, I have BibleWorks back on my Mac. Thank you!!!

ingosorke
01-10-2012, 09:56 PM
You offer us an arm, we'll take a leg . . .

I'm checking out Crossover too! Might even, finally, place an order for BW 9 this week.

stevedaley
01-12-2012, 12:19 PM
Thank you, Mike!
I joined the forum today, just to say thank you for planning support of running Bibleworks under Crossover. I am willing to purchase Crossover (have used it in the past) when you can make Bibleworks run 100% under Crossover.

I love Linux, and I have switched to running Windows (which I really don't like at all) so I can run Bibleworks. In fact the only programs that I run on Windows that I can't run under Linux are Bibleworks and Glo Bible.

Thank you so much to being open to supporting the running of Bibleworks under Crossover, I can't wait to switch back to Linux for my main desktop.

aay
01-18-2012, 10:34 AM
Thanks for sharing your plans to smooth out things on Crossover. As a user of BW for MANY years under Linux I'm very excited about this. I've used BW under Linux using WINE, Crossover Office, and Virtualbox. I would prefer using something like WINE or Crossover Office, because it's much less resource intensive than Virtualbox, but in recent months I've started using the Virtualbox method more and more, simply because more things work under Virtualbox. I would greatly prefer not having to do this. If you need any testers, please contact me. I would be glad to assist.

Adam York

Erwansj
01-23-2012, 05:52 AM
I am considering switching from PC to Mac, and the only reason I've not done it yet is Bibleworks... I wouldn't like to run a virtualized Windows-OS on a Mac to be able to run Bibleworks (a mac system should remain simple, installing a second OS on it is contrary to my understanding of mac). But a solution with crossover (or WineHQ) would be great !

Hi All,

Just FYI we are now formally investigating the possibility of officially spporting BibleWorks running on third party emulators on Mac and Linux. So far what we find looks promising. Re the question of this thread, BibleWorks does run under CrossOver, whch does not rquire a Windows license. Crossover is not free but it is not expensive either. It does have some problems, specifically with CHM files, but we are hopeful that we will eventually have a good, supported solution for our Mac and Linux users. I can't give any dates. The best I can do is tell you that this is something that we are now taking seriously.

Mike Bushell
BibleWorks

toph
01-31-2012, 03:36 AM
This is fantastic news. As of now, Bibleworks is the main reason for keeping Windows as my primary desktop -- I'd switch to Linux in a blink. If BW was fully working on CrossOver, I'd not only buy CrossOver, but also update to the latest BW version (I'm still at BW8) right away.

Can't wait to hear more about this ...

StephenH
02-05-2012, 03:27 PM
Hi All,

Mike Bushell
BibleWorks

This is great news. CrossOver does have a way of editing Windows extensions to launch with a native Linux program, for example, one should be able to execute "cxoffice/bin/cxwinassoc --bottle BibleWorks --extension .chm /usr/bin/xchm" to have the .chm files open with xCHM. In reality, this does not work when I try it. Otherwise, I do appreciate the changes you have already made. For the first time since I started using BibleWorks, I am able to see the Main Toolbar properly.

Does BibleWorks use a built-in .chm file viewer for help and resource files? Is it calling a Windows .chm file viewer for the purpose? If so, which one? It might help resolve the issue if the viewer can be configured to use the native Linux (or Mac if those users also have the same issue) version.

Kristofer
02-29-2012, 08:13 PM
can anyone help me? I just recently purchased a new widescreen iMac OS X Lion version 10.7.3 and just installed BW9 with Parallels and Windows 7 32-bit. BW9 works pretty well, BUT:

the mouse goes scrolls erratically and too fast when I am scrolling in the Context or Words window (in the Analysis section).

Also, when I want to scroll in the Context or Words window, I have to click on that section in order for BW to know that I am switching. It doesn't intuitively know I want to work in that section simply because I hover my mouse over that section (the way it does when I use Accordance in the Mac side. This is frustrating because I don't want to click on the Analysis window because I have to inadvertently click on a word which then automatically runs a search on that word, thus changing the search window results.

Is this a BW issue, a mouse setting issue on Windows 7, or a Parallels issue or something else?

I appreciate anyone who has experienced this obstacle and overcome it who might share how they did it, or even just let me know that I am not the only one, or that your system does not have this problem (running the same systems and version of BW).

Kris

Kristofer
02-29-2012, 10:42 PM
can anyone help me? I just recently purchased a new widescreen iMac OS X Lion version 10.7.3 and just installed BW9 with Parallels and Windows 7 32-bit. BW9 works pretty well, BUT:

the mouse goes scrolls erratically and too fast when I am scrolling in the Context or Words window (in the Analysis section).

Also, when I want to scroll in the Context or Words window, I have to click on that section in order for BW to know that I am switching. It doesn't intuitively know I want to work in that section simply because I hover my mouse over that section (the way it does when I use Accordance in the Mac side. This is frustrating because I don't want to click on the Analysis window because I have to inadvertently click on a word which then automatically runs a search on that word, thus changing the search window results.

Is this a BW issue, a mouse setting issue on Windows 7, or a Parallels issue or something else?

I appreciate anyone who has experienced this obstacle and overcome it who might share how they did it, or even just let me know that I am not the only one, or that your system does not have this problem (running the same systems and version of BW).

Kris

I think the answer is that BW9- for some reason- does not allow you to just click on the scroll bar to switch dialogue boxes. I tried switching dialogue boxes on sword on the same windows 7 on Parallels on Mac and I don't have to click inside the dialogue boxes to start scrolling in a different box. This deficiency leads to unwanted searches when trying to switch to the Words box or context box in the analysis window. You have to manually scroll by clicking on the scroll bar up/down arrows. You can't use your mouse to scroll unless you don't mind clicking on a word and thus running a search and changing your search results list. Hopefully BW can fix this soon.

Take care.

Kristofer
03-01-2012, 12:56 AM
I am having trouble using the mac mouse with windows programs running Parallels and windows 7 also because some dialogue boxes can not be scrolled with a desirable degree of control (not just in BW). I try to scroll up and when I want to hit the brakes so to speak, it just keeps going, then like 5 seconds later, it stops and goes the opposite direction. Has anyone else tackled this problem running windows 7 on mac with parallels?

Soundfaith
04-18-2012, 12:23 AM
Scott,

I have a question about using Windows OS on a Mac. One of my reasons for considering converting to a Mac is the decreased possibility of getting a virus, or at least that is what I am being told and am hearing as I do my research. My question is, does having a Windows OS on your Mac open up your Mac to the same issues I find on PC's? I am definitely going to get BibleWorks, but I curious as to whether it is worth the additional cost to get the Mac Pro if I can possibly have the same issues my PC's have had.

Donald Cobb
04-18-2012, 01:48 AM
I have a question about using Windows OS on a Mac. One of my reasons for considering converting to a Mac is the decreased possibility of getting a virus, or at least that is what I am being told and am hearing as I do my research. My question is, does having a Windows OS on your Mac open up your Mac to the same issues I find on PC's? I am definitely going to get BibleWorks, but I curious as to whether it is worth the additional cost to get the Mac Pro if I can possibly have the same issues my PC's have had.

If you install Windows on your Mac, you will need an antivirus... for the Windows partition. That doesn't make your Mac partition any more vulnerable to viruses, though, simply because Mac is not designed in the same way Windows was. I've been using Mac with a Windows partition and running it with Parallel for the last few years and find that fairly satisfying. As of late, there are only a couple applications I still run on Windows, BW9 being the one I use the most (by far!).

BW9 is a bit slow in this setup, and I'm eager to see it made fully compatible with CrossOver. I tried installing BW9 with a trial version of CrossOver back in early February, but wasn't able to make it run. I believe work has continued since then, and I understand that many of the bugs have been worked out (though not all). Does anyone have any experience with this? I'm thinking specifically of BW9.

For some info on this, you can take a look at :

http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/name/?app_id=10025

Donald Cobb
Aix-en-Provence, France

Nick Laurence
04-18-2012, 06:39 PM

I've recently upgraded to a Mac (and it certainly does feel like an "upgrade"!) and now my only PC programme is Bibleworks, which I run through Fusion (an emulator). You are told that if you run Windows through an emulator you should install an anti-virus. I already had a subscription to Mcafee, so simply loaded this onto my Fusion version of Windows. I feel this is a bit overkill, because I don't do any activity in Windows other than Bibleworks (no surfing, no emails) and I feel it is unlikely that Bibleworks will be targeted by malware. But it hasn't cost me anything to put Mcafee there, so I've done it.

Macs aren't completely invulnerable to malware; indeed there has been a bit of a news story recently about Macs being infected by a trojan, but this does feel like something of a novelty. You can get Mac anti-virus software, and some of these say they will double up to protect any PC emulator you install (personally I have a bit of doubt that they would be as effective as PC-native anti-virus software). Nevertheless, to make this worthwhile you would need to be doing infection-risky activity through your PC emulator (surfing, downloading emails etc.), and I can't think of a reason for doing this activity through an emulator rather than using the Mac-native software, which is much less risky.

BTW I'm surprised by Donald's comment that Bibleworks is slower under the Mac. I have a Mac Book Air, and Bibleworks is far, far quicker than on my Sony laptop; if you include time taken to boot up each computer (or close down at the end) then the Mac wins even more so (now by several orders of magnitude).

Donald Cobb
04-19-2012, 12:39 AM
BTW I'm surprised by Donald's comment that Bibleworks is slower under the Mac. I have a Mac Book Air, and Bibleworks is far, far quicker than on my Sony laptop; if you include time taken to boot up each computer (or close down at the end) then the Mac wins even more so (now by several orders of magnitude).

Interesting comment, Nick. It brings up questions in my mind. Is there something in my specific setup? Does Fusion tend to be more rapid than Parallel? I do know this: with the same setup, BW9 seems to run slower than BW7, which I had on my Mac until 5-6 months ago. I have also noticed this: I still have an old version of BW7 on my Mac that I run through Wine, and that is significantly faster than BW9/Parallel (2-3 times or more!). The difference becomes very noticeable the more complicated the command is--with the GSE, for instance, the same search can differ from a couple of seconds on the Wine setup to 10-15 seconds on BW9/Parallel. The Synopsis Window is also laborious with the BW9/Parallel setup to the point that I avoid using it. It's also for these reasons that I'm very keen on hearing if the issues with CrossOver have been resolved.

I'd be interested in hearing if others have had the same experience with Parallel/BW9. Perhaps Fusion tends to be more rapid in its emulation?

Donald Cobb
Aix-en-Provence, France

Abe L
01-03-2014, 06:05 PM
I installed Window 8.1 and Parallels Desktop 9 on my MacBook Pro.
I would like to know how to install BW 9 on my Mac via Parallels Desktop 9.
I bought new BW9 Rev4.
Please help me if you know. I am relatively new using Mac and Parallels Desktop 9 since I have used PC.
Thank you.

Abe L
01-03-2014, 06:10 PM
I bought updated BW9 Rev4.
Please help me if you know. I am relatively new using Mac and Parallels Desktop 9 since I have used PC.
Thank you.

Donald Cobb
01-03-2014, 06:24 PM
I bought updated BW9 Rev4.
Thank you.

Hello Abe,

I'm assuming that you have created a separate partition on your hard drive for Windows. That's the easiest way (you can do that with "Boot Camp"). if so, the best thing to do is restart the computer on Boot Camp (restart and immediately hold down the "alt" button until you get the choice of hard drives, then boot up on the Windows part); once Windows is open, then just proceed as you would in a PC.

If you haven't made a separate partition, you might just try putting in the BW dvds with Windows opened up in Parallels, and follow the instructions.

Regards,

Don Cobb
Aix-en-Provence, France

MBushell
01-04-2014, 08:23 PM
I bought new BW9 Rev4.
Thank you.

Do keep in mind that there is now a native Mac version of BW9. You can purchase a key and download the package for $6. It is based on a CodeWeavers compatibility library. We have CodeWeavers on a monthly contract to deal with problems as they arise. Right now BW for Mac has about 99% of the functionality of its Windows counterpart and we will chip away at that until it is 100%. You should at least give it a try. It does not require a Windows license. Perhaps others here who have tried it can chime in.

Mike