PDA

View Full Version : Having problems with BW9

Kristofer
12-07-2011, 11:17 PM
I have recently purchased BW9. It's my first time using BW at all. Sorry to complain, but the desktop tabs don't remember that much when I turn it off and on again. I spent a lot of time creating a "favorites" list of display versions. I had 3 already saved, then added 3 more. When I closed and re-opened BW later, the last three were gone. :( Is there some trick to closing and making sure all your work is saved? I have had some problems with the program crashing when I begin to really get into some work of clicking on different things. I have worked extensively with e-sword and TheWord bible programs and although they are dwarfed in comparison to the material size, I don't remember either program ever freezing on me and not working again. I have been waiting for a few days from customer support for an answer to some of these problems. I just asked them about the desktop saving problem today though. Maybe the problem is my computer? I have a compaq presario cq50-105NR Notebook PC. Is it too slow or weak for this large 14G program? Also is it a bad idea to delete all your .tmp files? I thought they were temporary internet files. I hope I didn't mess up my computer. My wife said her webcam didn't work right after I did that, but that's about the only thing. I have been using other programs and the internet with very few glitches that I have not been able to resolve since then. One thing was the mouse, but I fixed it by going to my mouse settings. Also, when I try copying and pasting greek font words from other places into the BW command line, the font gets messed up and then my clipboard gets turned off completely, and I can't copy and paste anymore on my computer at all. However, I can copy and paste the greek font words from the same program directly into my "TheWord" program and run a search with ease.

I would appreciate any help from anyone.

Thanks,
Kris

Michael Hanel
12-07-2011, 11:27 PM
Some of your descriptions of problems are a little difficult for me to follow, but I'll try to figure this out.

Tabs: If you make tabs that you want to maintain, it's always a good idea to save them. Right click in the tab area of the search window and click the options Save Tabs to Disk. If you later want to load them when they're lost, you can do that there as well by right clicking and selecting Load Tabs from Disk.

Crashing: Not sure what your freezing issues are. There was one EXE file that caused crashes about 3 weeks ago, but other than that BW9 is as stable as other BW versions for me. Your computer shouldn't be the problem. It may require a lot of storage space, but BW doesn't require a top of the line processor.

Temp files: what temporary files are you talking about?

Command line fonts: you can't copy text into the command line, you have to type it in. The command line doesn't use Unicode fonts, so when you copy a unicode word there, it won't know what to do with it. If you have a Greek search version typing a search command (e.g. ' . /) will automatically use Greek when you start typing.

Kristofer
12-07-2011, 11:27 PM
I said,

"I have been using other programs and the internet with very few glitches that I have not been able to resolve since then." By this I meant that I have pretty much resolved the few problems with my computer that arose after I installed BW and deleted my .tmp files, so BW seems to be, for the most part, the only thing that doesn't seem to work very well.

Kristofer
12-08-2011, 12:42 AM
Thank you Mr. Hanel. I didn't know I could right click on the tabs and open that menu. I am using it now to see if it works. So far so good.

When I searched on my computer, the word, "temp," it produced a large list of files with .tmp on the end. I think I deleted almost all of those after I installed BW9. My computer wouldn't allow me to delete some of them.

I wish I could copy and paste things into the command line, because I got used to that luxury with TheWord program. It's nice when I'm reading a book online, and it has greek words, like Philip Shaff's "The History of the Christian Church," because it is just a little bit faster than typing them. Maybe I'm lazy.:o

Kristofer
12-09-2011, 02:36 AM
Okay, I tried the idea of saving my tabs, but shouldn't the program just remember the way the desktop was when I quit? That is the impression that I get from the Quick-Start Guide. It reads, "Tab contents are saved between BibleWorks sessions so you can easily return to your work after a night of rest."

I am just thinking that after a year of using BW and often saving a new file every time I close the program just to remember where I left off, I will have perhaps a hundred files.

Also, when I saved my tabs last time I noticed that the folder the saved file went into had a whole bunch of other files in it that I don't remember creating. I guess sometimes, BW creates files of my tabs settings without me asking it to? There is also a default file. I would like to delete any of these that are unnecessary because I just like things to be simple as possible. If this is the way I have to make BW remember my desktop between BW sessions, then when I want to retrieve my settings, I don't want to have to sift through a whole bunch of files to find it.

I wish it just remembered my last session automatically.

This is really an awesome Bible program. I realize it is not for your average Joe Bible reader. It's like the guy at Verizon told me about the Droid phones. They are harder to use than iphone, but they do a lot more, and he would never switch from droid to iphone.

Michael Hanel
12-09-2011, 02:48 PM
Kristofer, you should *not* have to save your tabs every single time. If your BW9 never remembers your tabs, there is a problem with your files and you should contact customer support about it. The saving feature I was telling about is only so that if there's ever some problem you can reload your tabs or transfer you tab settings to a different computer.

Kristofer
12-10-2011, 12:26 AM
Thank you Mr. Hanel,
I have contacted them about a week ago (Dec. 4th) and got an initial response in my email inbox from Edward saying he would reply again the next day after he had a chance to review my trouble report. Unfortunately, I have not heard from him again. I even sent another email. Still no response. I went ahead and selected the option of repairing it on my computer in the Programs section of windows. I think it removed it and re-installed it. But since then, I checked it and it still does not remember much of the content and pages displayed upon closing and re-opening BW. I have to manually save it as a file which is inconvenient for me. There is probably a setting I have to find.

MGVH
12-10-2011, 12:54 AM
Just make sure that you haven't accidentally unchecked the save option when closing.

From the menu:
Tools > Options > General > Flags > Shutdown Options>
Make sure both "Save setup options on exit" and "Save checkpoint on exit" are checked

Another possible problem is if you are running BW without administrator privileges, in which case the system may not allow you to save a file to the BW directory.

Kristofer
12-10-2011, 07:04 PM
Thank you Mr. Hoffman,

Thank you for the suggestions.

They are both checked, and I tried right-clicking on the desktop icon and I selected "run as administrator," opened up a few windows on BW, like the septuagint/ hebrew cross-reference, and the lexicon window, and closed and re-opened BW, and the windows were all closed again.

Thank you again for the help, though.

Sincerely,
Kris

MBushell
12-12-2011, 01:45 PM
Thank you Mr. Hoffman,

Thank you for the suggestions.

They are both checked, and I tried right-clicking on the desktop icon and I selected "run as administrator," opened up a few windows on BW, like the septuagint/ hebrew cross-reference, and the lexicon window, and closed and re-opened BW, and the windows were all closed again.

Thank you again for the help, though.

Sincerely,
Kris

Kris, part of the problem may be your expectations of what is saved when tab info is saved. It is not practical to save all possible settings, search data and window positions/settings. I have never encountered a program as complex as BibleWorks that attempts to do that. For performance reasons we chose to save the most important information, like search versions, search parameters, display versions, and so on. Chapter 12 in the online help has a list of just what is saved (see the subsection "Using Tabs"). It includes the following:

The display versions
The current search version
The Browse Mode (single or multiple versions)
The current verse
The positions of all list boxes in the search window
Current search statistics and hit highlighting information
The Command Line text
Accent, vowel point and apostrophe options
Search limits options
Cross version search option

It would be helful is you gave a specific example of a parameter that you do not think is being saved between sessions.

I hope this is somewhat helpful.

Mike