PDA

View Full Version : Pericope comparison

ericjdaniels
10-23-2004, 12:57 PM
I am trying to compare two sections of Scripture on the basis of language. Specifically, I am trying to see the similar word choices in two separate sections of Scripture.

Is there a function of BW that will do this? I have BW6. I have noticed the "report generator" but that seems to be more for individual verses, even if you broaden the range.

So, if I were trying to find out how many times a given word was used in an entire section of scripture, how would I do it?

Thanks for the help.

Eric Daniels

ericjdaniels
10-23-2004, 01:56 PM
I remembered the word list manager.

Thanks!

Eric

jdarlack
10-24-2004, 07:54 AM
Hi Eric,

I did a similar thing using the word list manager and searching using the verse limits. I created a word list from a morphological version, using the limits that I was interested in. If I wanted to get more precise, particularly for synoptic comparisons, or for comparisons between and OT passage in the LXX and an NT quotation of the passage, I used a non-morphological version, that way the various inflections of words could be "flagged." I would then mark that list as an inclusion list and then do a search on the other text using the ASE and the verse limits. This would then give a ROUGH estimate of differences, as words that are not present in the other text will not be highlighted.

The other method to use is to make word lists of both texts and compare the word lists and eliminate words common to both lists. They use one of the lists to do a search in the other text, that would flag any differences in vocabulary.

These results are not fail-proof. One must take into consideration that certain words are more likely to be "repeated" more than other words--e.g., kai, estin, ktl. So you may want to eliminate such vocabulary when doing your search.