PDA

View Full Version : Dead Sea Scrolls in Original Hebrew

Shane Mohammed
12-04-2011, 03:15 PM
I think it would be nice to have the Dead Sea Scrols available for Bibleworks in the original Hebrew/Aramaic/Greek seeing as they are published for Logos and Accordance. Plus with all the money I spent on Bibleworks it would also be nice to have other Hebrew Old Testaments available for Bibleworks.... what do you all think?

MGVH
12-05-2011, 09:19 AM
BW does already offer:

http://store.bibleworks.com/QSM.html
QSMA
Unlock code for QSM - The Qumran Sectarian Manuscripts (with morphological tags), Copyright © 1999, 2000, 2001 by Martin G. Abegg, Jr.

The QSM contains all non-biblical manuscripts from what are commonly known as the Dead Sea Scrolls. These texts—described at the time of their discovery as the most important archaeological discovery of all time (W. F. Albright)—have thankfully lived up to their "press." They have afforded a window into the world as it was in the two centuries before the advent of Christianity. In short, they provide the New Testament with a much clearer context than was known before their discovery.
Requires BibleWorks 6 or later.
$80.00

AND

http://store.bibleworks.com/product49.html
QBSET
Unlock code for QBSET - Dead Sea Scrolls English Translation Bundle: Biblical and Sectarian Texts

Comes with two works: The Dead Sea Scrolls: A New Translation (Michael O. Wise, Martin G. Abegg, Jr., & Edward M. Cook, trans.), a comprehensive translation into English of the Dead Sea Scrolls sectarian texts (plus introductions and explanatory notes), and The Dead Sea Scrolls Bible: The Oldest Known Bible Translated for the First Time into English (Martin Abegg, Jr., Peter Flint, & Eugene Ulrich), containing an English translation of the Dead Sea Scrolls Biblical texts (plus introductions, explanatory notes, and text-critical notes).

The Biblical Texts contain a Browse Window version and a HTML Help version. The Sectarian Texts contain a HTML Help version only. (The Browse Window version is searchable using the Command Line. The HTML Help version opens in a separate window for reading and is not searchable using the Command Line. Basic searches on the HTML Help version are possible using the built-in search feature.)

This item requires BibleWorks 8 or later.
$30.00

Shane Mohammed
12-06-2011, 01:02 AM
Yes, but as I specifically said, "in the original language," not in english.

revaaron
12-06-2011, 10:52 AM
Unfortunately, there are no direct links but I have been using the version on the internet through Google. BW9 has been great (with links) to search other original manuscripts, though I do not believe the DSC's are included. Maybe this is coming down the pipe in the future? :)

And yes, I agree with your suggestion Shane.

Peace,
Aaron

Shane Mohammed
12-06-2011, 10:54 PM
Bibleworks say that they focus on Original language text, but I believe that is partially true. For one, yes they do, in the sense of New Testament resources... but, no they don't in the sense of OT texts. Sure we have the WTT tagged and Targums, but what about the Peshitta Old Testament, which can be found in the CAL Aramaic studies website? Bibleworks has the NT part but not the Old even though both are in electronic format? How about the Samaritan Pentateuch or Gottingen Septuagint (as found in Logos or Accordance). All that I am saying is if they want to be successful competitors they should focus more on OT criticism, not necessarily for Jewish audiances, but for Christians to better understand the text of the NT. Thank you all for reading. If any Bibleworks workers read this please, take my request into consideration. :)

p.s. where else can I access the DSS in original Heb./Ara./Greek in searchable format online?

Michael Hanel
12-06-2011, 11:09 PM
For what it's worth, I do think the BW folks do take your requests into consideration, but it's not always as easy as we think. Just because another program has the resource doesn't always mean BibleWorks can get it. Sometimes license holders will not permit it, other times they may permit it but BW will determine that the costs are too high. With only a few exceptions, BW usually doesn't comment on the reasons why they don't have the resource if there are problems in licensing because they don't want to sour business relationships between them and the publisher. (The only exception to this that I know of is a few statements about the inability of coming up with a good working agreement with a certain Bible society, but even then, they don't draw attention to that company.) For instance, say they can get the Dead Sea Scrolls in Hebrew and the license is for $5,000 + $10/license sold and you must sell 500 licenses are year to maintain the contract. What seems like an easy decision could become a lot more complicated with details like that. One thing I note about the Dead Sea Scrolls resources in one of the programs: it costs nearly as much as the entire BibleWorks program itself. So I assume pricing might play at least some small factor in all this.

That said, I haven't the foggiest idea what the reason might be that BW doesn't have the Biblical sections of the Dead Sea Scrolls in Hebrew, but I do know they appreciate hearing your ideas and the more people who let them know that they want it will likely make their decisions easier because they know there's a good market to support it.

Shane Mohammed
12-06-2011, 11:16 PM
This seems logical, but if they can the Targums, then at least maybe the Peshitta OT. Thanks for your comments Mr. Hanel, anybody else?

Michael Hanel
12-06-2011, 11:29 PM
Well my point is that all our attempts to explain why they don't have X or Y is just speculation. If you want to know why they don't have X or Y you can try emailing them and asking them and they may be able to tell you something more specific. But generally they don't respond to questions like that on the forums.

The more productive thing you can do is to try to drum up support from other BibleWorks users by explaining what resource you want and why it's important. If you can get hundreds of people to say if BW had X, we'd definitely buy it, it would probably be something that they would take a lot more seriously.

Shane Mohammed
12-06-2011, 11:44 PM
OK, whoever would like the Dead Sea Scrolls in Hebrew please reply to this blog, with enough people I will inform Bibleworks.

Glenn Weaver
12-07-2011, 08:31 AM
Hi Shane,

I assure you that we are as concerned about the OT as we are the NT. In order for us to include a text in BibleWorks, a number of things have to align: there needs to be an available (and usable) electronic text (or at least be able to convert it ourselves, as long as the price is not to high to do the conversion), we need to be able to license the text from the publishers, and the licensing cost must not be so high that no one would buy it or that we could not include it in the base package (for Biblical texts).

We do have some OT items in the works, though we generally do not say anything about what is in process until it is ready. But I assure you that we are interested in the items that you have mentioned. Keep in mind that just because something is available in another software package or on the Internet does not mean that we are able to license it, too.

We have found a lot more electronic texts available to us for the NT than we have found for the OT. This means that there are more NT texts available in BibleWorks than OT texts. We do not purposely slant the program in that direction--that is just the way that our available databases have fallen.

If you find electronic texts available that we could license, please let us know and we will check on them.

Blessings,
Glenn

Shane Mohammed
12-07-2011, 06:49 PM
Dear Glenn,

The following website has the Peshitta Old Testament available in electronic format: www.hum.leiden.edu/religion/research/peshitta-institute/ (http://www.hum.leiden.edu/religion/research/peshitta-institute/)

it can also be found at: http://cal1.cn.huc.edu/get_a_chapter?file=62001&sub=01&cset=U

which is the same place you got your Targum module, they may let you use it for free. Please let me know what you think Glenn.

Glenn Weaver
12-08-2011, 08:23 AM
Hi Shane,

Thank you for the links. We are hoping to be able to license the Leiden Peshitta, but apparently the files are not yet ready for them to license to us. It is a long-term project, and they wan to get it right before distributing them widely. There is apparently a special arrangment with the folks at CAL, so they are able to have them at this time. This is one example where, even though the files are on the internet, we are unable to license the text.

The Leiden Peshitta project is one that we have been in contact with for many years. As soon as they are able to license the text to us, we hope to do so.

Blessings,
Glenn

Shane Mohammed
12-08-2011, 09:39 PM
I also have a pdf of the samaritan pentateuch, how can i attach it Glenn, its too big? I wanted you to see if anything can be done with it.

Glenn Weaver
12-09-2011, 08:44 AM
Hi Shane,

Could you contact me via email about this? My email address is gweaver at your favorite Bible software .com .

Blessings,
Glenn

Shane Mohammed
12-09-2011, 05:49 PM
Ok Mr. Weaver, I sent you an e-mail, if you do not receive it let me know and I will send it again.

Shane Mohammed
12-10-2011, 12:47 AM
I am also curious, Mr. Hanel, I noticed that you have been adding very helpful resources to the Bibleworks user-created modules and was wondering if you may have anything new to contribute Old Testament wise? Thanks. :)

Michael Hanel
12-10-2011, 09:15 AM
Re: OT materials. Generally not. Although I know Hebrew, it's not my primary dead language. Right now anyway it comes way after Greek and Latin. Plus there's more than enough out there in Greek that I haven't finished that Hebrew things aren't even on my list.

Shane Mohammed
12-10-2011, 12:08 PM
Ok do you have any non-Hebrew Old Testament items to add (in Greek or Latin, since I know Greek best, Latin second... or in English)?

Michael Hanel
12-10-2011, 12:35 PM
Ok do you have any non-Hebrew Old Testament items to add (in Greek or Latin, since I know Greek best, Latin second... or in English)?

Negative. The only things I'm working on now are Classics-related and early church fathers.

Adelphos
12-10-2011, 02:36 PM
Don't know if these would interest you, Shane, but I have these few files in PDF format that you may or may not have --

Dictionary of Jewish Babylonian Aramaic
LXX Rahlfs
LXX Rahlfs Morphological
Leningrad Codex Vowels
Leningrad Codex No Vowels

If you are interested in any of these, I could send them to Michael and he could post them on his blog, and/or I could send whichever one's you want to you directly, except that they are probably too big for email.

If Michael doesn't want to fool with them, I could zip them up and temporarily make them available on my website.

EDIT: I also have the Dictionary of Jewish Palestinian Aramaic

Shane Mohammed
12-11-2011, 01:12 AM
I believe I have most of these Ἀδελφός, though I may not have the two dictionaries mentioned. Currently I use about 8 different Bible softwares, have over 500 Bibles in electronic format (some rare ones such as Gutenberg 1455 etc.), but may not have those two (though they sound familiar with a software I use called TheWord) Please, if Mr. Hanel would be so kind as to make them on user modules site that would be great, if not you could try sending them to me. Thanks. :)

P.S. Maybe other users too would like these modules available to them?

pasquale
12-11-2011, 02:25 AM
Shane Mohammed wrote

have over 500 Bibles in electronic format some rare ones such as Gutenberg 1455 etc

Hi mr. Shane Mohammed do you have Gutenberg 1455 bible in txt format (unicode)?

grazie pasquale

Shane Mohammed
12-11-2011, 10:24 AM
Hello Pasquale,

The Gutenberg I only have in pdf, it is an original scanned complete copy from 1455 including OT, Apocrypha, and NT. I got it from the Harry Ransom center in Texas (a school). It might be possible to convert it into a text format... I have a pdf converter, may try it sometime and include it into E-Sword or Bibleworks. The problem is that the Harry Ransom Center copyrighted their copy and may not be able to post it. I have many other rare Bibles including a scanning of the original ben Chayyim Rabbinic Bible that I would love for Bibleworks to incorporate into their program, though my copy is 1545 and not 1524. Anyway the Gutenberg may be purchased here: http://utdirect.utexas.edu/txshop/item_details.WBX?cart_id=0HRRANSOM&dept_prefix=RC&item_id=1

Thanks Pasquale, let me know what you think.

P.S. I am also planning to publish a copy of the Septuagint that matches the Masoretic Text, the article can be found in my post "The Problem with the Date of Esther 3:13"

Michael Hanel
12-11-2011, 12:07 PM
To both Shane and Adelphos,

We don't really post files on the BW Blog other than files that are directly used in BibleWorks. If Jim Darlack (whose file space it is) wants to change his mind, he can, but PDF and whatever files are better stored by other means.

Shane Mohammed
12-11-2011, 12:21 PM
Yes, that would be great, but Old Testament is my specialty, would you mind doing the Old Testament too, please, or is that not accessible to you?:)

Adelphos
12-11-2011, 02:54 PM
I have posted the files I listed above here --

http://www.lamblion.net/Articles/charts.htm

Scroll down to the last entry, "Small Assortment Of OT PDF Texts" and click on that link. It is a zip file, 24 MB.

Shane Mohammed
12-11-2011, 03:28 PM
Another great resource besides the Dead Sea Scrolls would be the Gottingen Septuagint. If this could be added to Bibleworks too this would be great seeing as Logos and Accordance has this (maybe Bibleworks could try at least to get the license). Does anybody know of another electronic copy of this Septuagint that is cheaper than Logos or Accordance? Maybe a pdf of this Septuagint available for sale? (Its ironic really, you think with all these rare Bibles that I would have this one, lol)

P.S. BTW thanks for the links.

Shane Mohammed
12-15-2011, 01:52 AM
Does anybody have any OT texts/Bibles that they would like to contribute to the Bibleworks user-database?