PDA

View Full Version : Search on lemma: where my stats at?

AbramKJ
11-30-2011, 12:23 PM
As I'm reading through Greek and Hebrew text on Bibleworks, I'm finding myself more and more curious about the frequency of words--how often they appear in the GNT or the WTT versions, for example. (I'm in BibleWorks 8, so I am guessing that an upgrade to BW9, with the new "Use" tab would make me very happy!)

I'm using a Secondary Browse Window so that when I "search on lemma," my main browse window stays in the verse/pericope from which I began the search. When I "search on lemma" with no secondary window open, the search window displays the results of a given word's occurrence, complete with stats (i.e., word count) just on the bottom of the search window. But it also moves the browse window automatically to the first verse that comes up in the search.

Since this is an inconvenient feature, the Secondary Browse Window has allowed me to work around it nicely. Now my main browse window stays in the verse from which I began the search, and I see occurrences of all lemmas in the search window, with only the *secondary* browse window now jumping to that first verse.

However, the "hit count" only appears very briefly as the search begins ("Computing hits" appears at the bottom of the search window), then it disappears. So while I get a list of all of a given lemma's occurrences, I don't have frequency counts.

This is not the case when I use the same configuration to "search on form," for some reason.

Does anybody else have this same issue? Is it a glitch? Is there a way to change it so that when I "search on lemma" from the primary browse window, the first verse in the Bible with that lemma still appears in my secondary browse window, and my search results window retains its "hit" counts at the bottom of that window?

Michael Hanel
11-30-2011, 07:53 PM
This definitely is improved in BW9. The Use tab automatically updates to whatever lemma or form (you can choose which) you have your mouse on in the browse window. In addition it tells how many hits there are in how many verses as compared to how many verses there are total. You can also use the new 4th window feature to have a Stats tab open as the same time as the Use tab without opening any more windows and the Stats tab will update automatically to sync with the Use tab.

AbramKJ
12-01-2011, 10:27 AM
This definitely is improved in BW9. The Use tab automatically updates to whatever lemma or form (you can choose which) you have your mouse on in the browse window. In addition it tells how many hits there are in how many verses as compared to how many verses there are total. You can also use the new 4th window feature to have a Stats tab open as the same time as the Use tab without opening any more windows and the Stats tab will update automatically to sync with the Use tab.

Thanks, Michael. I just re-read that portion of your BW9 review series. I don't want to re-vive the "why I'd love to but am not yet buying BW9 thread," but this is another selling point for me.

Do you (or does anyone else) know whether there's a way to do what I'm looking for in BW8, in the meantime?

brainout
04-08-2012, 02:59 PM
Thanks, Michael. I just re-read that portion of your BW9 review series. I don't want to re-vive the "why I'd love to but am not yet buying BW9 thread," but this is another selling point for me.

Do you (or does anyone else) know whether there's a way to do what I'm looking for in BW8, in the meantime?

I just had the same problem, and like you was delaying BW9 upgrade, but the enticement is too great: they have searchable CODICES! Yes!

I can't yet find a way around the hit problem when using the convenient secondary window. Am testing BW8 now (I bought it a year ago, lol, but rarely used it, in favor of my trusty BW5) -- and will report back if I find a workaround.