PDA

View Full Version : CNTTS Vs Reuben Swanson apparatus

pasquale
11-27-2011, 08:38 AM
I found some differences between CNTTS Vs Swanson.

Anyone can explain me why there are these differences?
Inscriptio

CNTTS

kata markon a B F MT >En> according to Mark (NIV-TNIV-NLT-NET) >It> secondo Marco
euaggelion kata markon A E H K L M S U W Y D Q P W 1 2 13 28 33 124 346 565 700 1424 *񔄯3a b c f ff2 q >En> gospel according to Mark (NKJV-RSV-NRSV-ESV-NASB-NEB-NJB-NAB-HCSB)
>It> buona notizia secondo Marco
euaggelion kata marikon 788 >En>
euaggelion kat markon D >En>
euaggelion to kata markon Gsup >En> gospel according to Mark >It> buona notizia secondo Marco
ek tou kata markon euaggeliou 69 >En>
arch tou kata ton markon euaggeliou 118 >En> [the] beginning of the gospel according to Mark >It> inizio della buona notizia secondo Marco
to kata markon agion euaggelion ** 579 TR >En> the holy gospel according to Mark (the gospel according to saint Mark - KJV) >It> il santo vangelo (buona notizia) secondo Marco
euaggelion ek tou kata markon 1071 >En>
to kata markon euaggelion 1582 >En> the gospel according to Mark >It> la buona notizia secondo Marco

Notes CNTTS omit:
* 2427 (NA)
** 209 (NA)

Reuben Swanson inscriptio

tou kata markon euaggeliou ai perocai A K
tou kata markon euaggeliou ta kefal Gsup 1 2 28
tou kata markon euaggeliou kefalea H
tou kata markon euaggeliou ta kefalaia K S D P 124 565 788 1424
tou kata markon euaggeliou ta kefalea M W
ek tou kata markon euaggeliou ta kefal 13
ek tou kata markon agion euaggeliou ta kefalaia 69
kefalaia tou kata markon euaggeliou 157 700
ta ek tou markon eua kefalaia 1071
ek t kata markon eua ta kefalaia 1346

Adelphos
11-27-2011, 09:46 AM
I found some differences between CNTTS Vs Swanson.

Anyone can explain me why there are these differences?...

They could be --

1) Errors in Swanson
2) Errors in CNTTS
3) A different interpretation of the correct reading in the manuscript

MGVH
11-28-2011, 02:22 PM
Here (http://www.bl.uk/manuscripts/Viewer.aspx?ref=harley_ms_5684_f065v)is an image of codex G = Codex Seidelianus.
Noting the abbreviation for euaggelion, it is clear that CNTTS is correct and Swanson is wrong.
Don't know about the rest (though many of the Swanson readings do look odd...), but at least in this instance go with CNTSS.

Michael Hanel
11-28-2011, 03:53 PM
I certainly could not account for every single issue with Swanson, but others have said that he does make enough mistakes to question his level of accuracy. It's one of the reasons CNTTS didn't just take his work, but went through it and did their own work in addition.

Adelphos
11-28-2011, 04:04 PM
I certainly could not account for every single issue with Swanson, but others have said that he does make enough mistakes to question his level of accuracy. It's one of the reasons CNTTS didn't just take his work, but went through it and did their own work in addition.

An errata list of Swanson has been posted somewhere, and I probably have it somewhere on my computer, but at the moment I can't recall where it's posted or where it might be on my computer.

However, the number of errors in NA/UBS and the selective citations in NA/UBS FAR EXCEEDS Swanson, and probably CNTTS as well.

Regardless, it is safe to say that anyone who is going to publish anything based on citations in a manuscript(s) needs to PERSONALLY inspect that manuscript(s) for himself now that they are available online, because it is absolutely certain that any apparartus out there is going to contain errors, and thus the only wise way to put your name on something is to examine the primary source itself. Then, if there is an error, it's your error instead of somebody else's.

Adelphos
11-28-2011, 04:13 PM
I just googled this relative to Swanson's errata list --

http://www-user.uni-bremen.de/~wie/texte/Swanson-errata.html

brainout
03-29-2012, 03:05 AM
Here (http://www.bl.uk/manuscripts/Viewer.aspx?ref=harley_ms_5684_f065v)is an image of codex G = Codex Seidelianus.
Noting the abbreviation for euaggelion, it is clear that CNTTS is correct and Swanson is wrong.
Don't know about the rest (though many of the Swanson readings do look odd...), but at least in this instance go with CNTSS.

So the sideways-headed body with the 'a' inside is an abbreviation for euangelion? Sorry to bother you, I just couldn't figure out how else to describe the figure fronting to kata markon. Thank you for your time!

MGVH
03-29-2012, 12:05 PM
So the sideways-headed body with the 'a' inside is an abbreviation for euangelion? Sorry to bother you, I just couldn't figure out how else to describe the figure fronting to kata markon. Thank you for your time!

Yes. Look at the third word in the text which is ευαγγελιον. That way of writing the epsilon is used throughout the text (but not consistently) for ευ and εγ.

brainout
03-29-2012, 05:50 PM
Yes. Look at the third word in the text which is ευαγγελιον. That way of writing the epsilon is used throughout the text (but not consistently) for ευ and εγ.

Thank you. I see that now. The script and abbreviations. I will have to become familiar with them! Thank you again!