PDA

View Full Version : BW9 on Windows XP?

Duncan
11-25-2011, 06:39 PM
Has anyone installed BW9 on Windows XP successfully? My installation seemed to go okay but when I tried to run it, it failed to start. I didn't get an error message. I know this is a support question and I submitted that yesterday, but I am guessing that the BW office is closed today, Friday, and that's perfectly appropriate. My employer is closed today. So I thought I might see if someone had an idea before Monday. I am wondering if there is something I can look at, an XP or a BW log file of some sort, that might describe what really went wrong. I had already completely uninstalled BW8. Thanks.

Duncan

Michael Hanel
11-25-2011, 06:50 PM
I run it on one computer with Windows 7 and another with XP and it works well with both, so the problem must lie somewhere other than simply being an XP issue.

Adelphos
11-25-2011, 08:09 PM
i haven't tried it on XP -- actually, I don't own BW 9 yet -- but I am wondering if you did a custom install? If so, you might try to reinstall and use all the default settings and see if that works. If not, as Michael said, it's probably an issue on your computer, not XP specific.

MBushell
11-25-2011, 09:26 PM
BibleWorks 9 should run fine on XP. But it may require the very latest updates for XP. Make sure that you have the latest service pack.
See this link http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322389.
The offices are closed today so employees can enjoy Thanksgiving with their familes (and so some of them can recuperate from ETS/SBL).
Hope this helps.
Mike

calvary
11-25-2011, 11:06 PM
Hello,

I run BW9 on an old lap top with XP service pack 3 with no issues at all.

After an unsuccessful attempt at starting it, have you checked to see if BW is running in the background by using task manager? Are you getting a splash screen when you try to start it? Also, try turning off if your virus software before you try to run it. Also, you can download an excellent app called Process Explorer which is like task manager on steroids. When running Process Explorer, if you find BW is running in the background, you can right click on BW and use a number of options to see what might be preventing it from running. It's worth a try--maybe. :)

That's all I know to do at this point.

Process Explorer can be found here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653

Blessings,
Dave

Sansom48
11-26-2011, 11:32 AM
seems like everyone already said it, but I run my BW 9 on a laptop XP and it works fine.

Duncan
11-26-2011, 08:55 PM
I run it on one computer with Windows 7 and another with XP and it works well with both, so the problem must lie somewhere other than simply being an XP issue.

Michael.

I presumed it is my machine that has the problem, rather than BW9. I was hoing, though, that someone might have encountered something that sounded akin to this and was solved. Thanks.

Ken

Duncan
11-26-2011, 08:59 PM
BibleWorks 9 should run fine on XP. But it may require the very latest updates for XP. Make sure that you have the latest service pack.
See this link http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322389.
The offices are closed today so employees can enjoy Thanksgiving with their familes (and so some of them can recuperate from ETS/SBL).
Hope this helps.
Mike

I don't expect to hear from anyone in support until Monday. I had Friday off and I expect most non-retail businesses were closed as well in the U.S. I tired to say that in my initial post because I didn't want to sound as though I was complaining that I couldn't get support on the day after Thanksgiving. I have run BW4-8 on XP, so I don't doubt that this is a problem unique to my system, but I thought it was worth asking about.

Ken

Mark Eddy
11-26-2011, 09:57 PM
Did you try running BW9 before migrating any settings from BW8? If you had any user databases or favorites and other setting in BW8 which were migrated into BW9, there might be something there causing the conflict. Have you tried opening BW with the shift key down? That allows you to reinitialize or deactivate non-native BW files you might have. Until Monday morning, it's worth a try.
Mark Eddy

Duncan
11-28-2011, 11:10 PM
I am at Service Pack 3 for XP. My system has failed on auto-update for a few updates for XP and MS Office though I don't kjnow why. I used the shift key when starting BW9 and removed the .ini files and so forth. I gave my id more power by assigning a password, but that made no difference either. I had already removed BW8 from the Registry (so far as I know). The splash screen comes up but then I still get nothing. I ran Process Explorer and tried to start BW9 twice. Each time, the process showed up but after a line under that in pink that something about debugging, the BW9 process disappears. It is always at the same point. The splash screen shows that BW9 expands a few German versions, then gets version information and then, with the version info showing, fails. I tried clicking on the line that mentioned debugging but all I ended up with was a dialog box that told me there was no just-in-time debugging available. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

Ken