PDA

View Full Version : Search for italicized character strings

Yaku Lee
11-25-2011, 05:06 PM
Is there a way to search for all the italicized character strings, say, in ASV?

Thanks.

bobvenem
11-26-2011, 01:41 AM
It can be done by exporting the text to MS Word, where searching by font style is possible. I haven't seen anything like this built into BW9, however.

Yaku Lee
11-26-2011, 04:31 AM
I wanted to examine the textual elements that were added in the process of translation, which were italicized in some versions. And I tried the method you suggested and it worked just fine. Thank you very much.

Jim Wert
11-26-2011, 01:24 PM
When I export a database (Tools|Importing/Exporting Information|Export Database) I find the italicized words/phrases by searching for "[".
Even exporting in rtf or bww format, rather than txt, still shows up this way when using MSWord, not displaying a different font.

Or are you talking about copying a passage to MSWord and then searching it?

--Jim

Yaku Lee
11-26-2011, 04:37 PM
I tried both ways. Regular MS-Word copying preserved the italic font, and I searched for it. Exporting database normalized the italic font but enclosed it in [ ], and I searched for [. Both methods gave me the same results

Although I could get what I wanted in this search, it is somewhat like a pencil-and-paper method. It would be very nice if BW has a built-in mechanism to search for italics.

Regards

ISalzman
11-29-2011, 04:17 PM
I agree, Yaku; that would be a good feature request (i.e., the ability to search on italics and other formatting forms).

Irving

Jim Wert
05-31-2012, 08:23 PM
You can find the verses that have italics in them with this search on the command line:
~\[
It will not tell you which word(s) are italicized, you have to use the old eyeball method on the returned verse(s).
To get an accurate count of the verses found you need to create a verse list from the search result.

Out of curiosity I ran this search on the ASV,
created a verse list,
then exported the verse list from the Verse List Manager to the Search Window, to give accurate counts,
set stats to "% vss in bk with hit/vss in bk".
Sorting in descending order told me that 41% of the verses in Song of Solomon contain italics, while 3.5% of the verses in Genesis contain italics.

--Jim

Yaku Lee
06-01-2012, 04:06 AM
Jim, you showed an interesting way to get stats. With # vss in bk with hit, Psa tops the list with 378 of 2461.

I wanted to check a version against ASV to see if it showed the added material as consistently as ASV. Unfortunately the answer was negative. But I got what I wanted.

Regards