PDA

View Full Version : I Want My f1 Key!

Lee
11-14-2011, 11:52 PM
When I hit my f1 key, I cannot get BW help, because this computer is set to bring up Windows Help and Support regardless of what program one might be working in.

This really isn't a BW issue, I suppose it's more of a Windows/HP issue, but I would appreciate anyone who could steer me in the right direction.

jimofbentley
11-15-2011, 12:35 AM
I don't have any problem using the F1 key in BW8, (and using Windows 7) for bringing up the BW "Help" screen.

What system are you using?

jfidel
11-15-2011, 07:15 AM
When I hit my f1 key, I cannot get BW help, because this computer is set to bring up Windows Help and Support regardless of what program one might be working in.

This really isn't a BW issue, I suppose it's more of a Windows/HP issue, but I would appreciate anyone who could steer me in the right direction.

Hi Lee,
On my keyboard is an fn key. The function keys have two functions and pressing the fn key with the F1 actually brings up F1. Could this possibly be your situation as well?

MBushell
11-15-2011, 09:25 AM
Hi Lee,
On my keyboard is an fn key. The function keys have two functions and pressing the fn key with the F1 actually brings up F1. Could this possibly be your situation as well?

My keyboard has a "Lock" key which sometimes gets pressed by mistake. It changes the way the function keys work. If you have a lock key, try pressing it.
Mike

Lee
11-15-2011, 12:58 PM
I don't have any problem using the F1 key in BW8, (and using Windows 7) for bringing up the BW "Help" screen.

What system are you using?

It's Windows 7, so if you are not having problems with it, I assume it is something that HP installed. I tried uninstalling HP's help and support program, but f1 still goes to the HP/Windows Help and Support--just with far fewer features.

I appreciate the other suggestions. I am currently away from the one computer that is giving me this problem, but I will try those suggestions out tonight.

Adelphos
11-15-2011, 02:22 PM
It's Windows 7, so if you are not having problems with it, I assume it is something that HP installed. I tried uninstalling HP's help and support program, but f1 still goes to the HP/Windows Help and Support--just with far fewer features.

I appreciate the other suggestions. I am currently away from the one computer that is giving me this problem, but I will try those suggestions out tonight.

Lee, since you mentioned HP, and now that I remember you just bought a HP laptop, I have just discovered that if I press the F1 key on the laptop itself, even when BW has the focus, it still pops up the HP help instead of the BW help.

I have a wireless keyboard at use with the same computer right now, and pressing F1 on that pops up the BW help, so it's HP specific.

I will explore this a little bit and maybe I'll have an answer for you by the time you get home tonight. Maybe, maybe not, but I'll look into it a little bit.

Adelphos
11-15-2011, 02:24 PM
Okay, I just figured it out...

If you have a fn key (right next to the ctrl key on the left on my HP laptop), hold down the fn key and press F1 with BW having the focus and the BW help will pop up.

EDIT: You don't even have to hold down the fn key. Just tap it and then tap the F1 key and the BW help will come up, assuming BW has the focus, of course.

Lee
11-15-2011, 07:36 PM
The fn key does it! Thanks for all the help.