PDA

View Full Version : Introducing Lamb Lion Net BibleWorks Resources Menu Editor 1.0

Adelphos
11-05-2011, 04:36 PM
Introducing LAMB LION NET BIBLEWORKS RESOURCES MENU EDITOR, or the short form, RESOURCES MENU EDITOR, hereafter RME.

The RESOURCES MENU ITEM within BibleWorks allows you to customize it to a large extent, but in order to do so you must locate, open, and edit individual files, which can be a tedious and time-consuming process, especially if you have a lot of CHD files to deal with. RME solves this problem and simplifies the process significantly by allowing you to make these customizations with ease.

It will take you two minutes to read the HELP FILE, three if you’re a slow reader, so I strongly recommend you do so.

The install program llnbwrme_setup.exe puts the EXE and CHM files into a dedicated folder within your Program Files Folder, and I suggest you leave it there, as RME creates two folders within its main folder, called ORIGINAL and BACKUP respectively, and populates these two folders with your original CHD files from your BibleWorks Databases folder. These files are for backup and restore purposes. You will read more about them in the help file.

You MUST configure both your BibleWorks EXE and your BibleWorks DATABASES folder before using RME, which you are prompted to do the very first time you run RME. You can change these paths from within RME later if you wish to do so.

With that, you can now download llnbwrme.zip from here under the title “Lamb Lion Net BibleWorks Resources Menu Editor” --

http://lamblion.net/Links/links.htm

MGVH
11-05-2011, 11:03 PM
Very nice! I've been hand editing all those files... Easy to install and nice UI.

Adelphos
11-06-2011, 11:43 AM
Thanks, Mark. Let me know if you and anyone else ever has any suggestions for improvements. I'm toying with adding capabilities, ilie aditional backup utilities for BW settiings (albeit no any settings in an BW INI files, for those I would never touch), but anyway, just food for thought.

Adelphos
11-06-2011, 01:49 PM
Mark,

Your Biblical Studies & Technilogical Tools website has soooo much helpful information on it that I've added it to the Window menu along with the BW Unofficial Blog. I will have the new EXE containing the addition up sometime next week.

Adelphos
11-06-2011, 10:23 PM
Okay, Mark, the new INSTALL includes your weblink, and the EXE updates I add next week will contain them as well if you don't want to uninstall and go through the install program again. I didn't realize how informative your site is until I spend some time on it.

Also let me say, and I don't mean to be melodramatic, but in writing RME I have discovered just how utterly outstanding the CHM files in BibleWorks are. The amount of work that went into them, and the expertise and coverage are just beyond words. I know that Mike Bushell and Michael Tan bear the brunt of the regular BW programming, but I believe Glenn bears the brunt of much of those CHM files, and I just want to personally thank you, Glenn (and the rest of your team), for a truly outstanding effort.

MGVH
11-07-2011, 02:02 AM
Glad you are finding my stuff helpful and thanks for the link. I don't have your programming skills, but I'm always trying to figure out how to make this stuff more accessible for my students.
Thanks again.

Adelphos
11-07-2011, 12:14 PM
It just dawned on me that by having the term BibleWorks in the title of my program I may be technically in violation of copyright or trademark.

Although nobody from BibleWorks has said a word about it, I have changed the title FROM Lamb Lion Net BibleWorks Resources Menu Editor TO Lamb Lion Net Resources Menu Editor, and then I use the subtitle, For Use With BibleWorks.

As I said, not one soul from BibleWorks has called me on this, but not only do I want to make sure not to violate any copyrights or trademarks, I also don't want to set a precedent for potential future third-party software developers for BibleWorks who may think of using the term BibleWorks in their title.

Accordingly, please delete the EXE and CHM file if you have already installed it and grab the new module from here --

http://lamblion.net/Links/links.htm

You can install over the old installation without having to reset everything, but the new module removes all references to BibleWorks in the title. Thanks for your cooperation, and thanks to BibleWorks for not sending any black helicopters after me! :cool:

Michael Hanel
11-21-2011, 11:41 AM
Adelphos,

I don't know whether this is within the range of your time/skill/interest, but in light of reading the comments Mark made about sync'ing BW data at the end of this post (http://bibleandtech.blogspot.com/2011/11/sbl-bible-software-shootout-2-revenge.html), I wonder if it would be helpful to others to make a little applet that you could run that gives you the option to sync various files of BibleWorks (syncing them by copying them to the folder of the user's choice). The list could include various INI files, GSE searches, verse lists, etc., etc. It would make the sync process easier by not requiring people to remember all those little files and quicker by simply having to check or uncheck which to sync. I know there are syncing programs out there already, the main difference would be that this would be tailored just to BW files.

Do you think it'd be something that would be useful?

Adelphos
11-21-2011, 12:42 PM
Do you think it'd be something that would be useful?

Great minds think alike! :cool: This very thought whispered through my mind the other day when I was doing something on this program, but I didin't dwell on it, the main reason being I didn't want to make the effort to determine which files should be synched, and so on.

However, your idea of a check box for each type just gave a little more definition to my thought, so I'd be willing to write the app as long as you guys would guide me as to which files should be synched (or at least have the option to be synched), as well as any thoughts you have on how the program should work, i.e., we get these files from THIS BW folder and put them into.... where???

Of course, I can -- and would -- make options to have the files placed in user-defined folders and in user-defined locations, and I can make it pretty customizable, but any ideas that others have would be helpful as well.

The main thing is coming up with a list of file-types and BW folder locations to backup FROM, and then I can, as I said, make it pretty customizable as to where to put everything.

I just need to know which files BW users would like synched/backed up, as well as any functionality-type thoughts people may have (although I have much of that in mind already), as I personally only keep a very FEW BW settings backed up, but I do know that many users are much more particular about this than me. IOW, they have a LOT of settings that they would like to keep.

So anyway, I'm willing to put it together if you guys can give me a list of files, guidelines, advice, et cetera, as to what you want.

I think if we pursue this that we should make a new thread in the non-BW section of the forum where all the info can be put out there for all to see and comment on.

MGVH
11-21-2011, 01:49 PM
As you may have seen on my post, I use SugarSync and simple point to the BW9 subdirectories. In particular, I want everything backed up and synched in my notes, ase, and timeline directories. These are easy to designate, I can point to them in their default locations, and they use relative paths, so they work fine regardless of the computer system. I would love to back up stuff in my init directory, but path issues arise that make this one a bit of a gamble if you are using different OSes. I would also love to sync the userdb subdirectory, but there is so much stuff in there that I would need more storage space online. (You can pay for expanded capabilities, but I'm still trying to do this on the cheap.)
One can relocate all the user modified files to a subdirectory of your choosing, but this requires editing the BW .ini file which I don't think you want most users doing. I've suggested to BW folks that they do relocate the notes, ase, timeline directories by default to a position in the My Documents directory.

Adelphos
11-21-2011, 02:40 PM
If the synch apps that are out there already do almost everything, then another app would merely be a reduplication with minor advantages. On the other hand, if there are specific BW issues that the other synch apps don't address, then it might be worthwhile to produce a specialty app for BW in this regard.

First, WRT the ini files, although I could put them all in a list or combo box so that you could access them a lot more easily, and make them editable, as in the current RME program with CHD files, I would recommend that somebody provide a to-the-point but sufficient statement of what should or should not be messed with in (each) ini file. Of course, I would make a bullett-proof backup folder for ini files right off the bat so that they could always be restored.

Secondly, WRT file types and specifics, such as paths and so on, I could make it so that a file mask could not only be applied for each BW folder so that only that file-type is operated on in whatever task is assigned to it, i.e. -- backup, synch, restore -- but there are innumerable other ways to store and preserve the info as well.

For example, there could be a one-to-one folder structure preservation, a user-defined folder structure preservation, a file-level structure preservation -- i.e., all ini files or all ase files or all sdf or bna files, ad infinitum -- are operated on in this way or that, or groupings of file types, and so on forever.

IOW, the issue is not so much WHAT can be done, but what is WANTED, and therein lies the dilemma.

As I said, I back up very, very FEW of my BW settings, so it is not really an issue with me. But if there is a gap between the current synch/backup apps and what is WANTED by other BW users, so that a specialty app that really addresses a number of these things would be helpful, then I have no problem creating it.

I would just need to know WHAT, exactly, it would be that I needed to create.

Adelphos
11-21-2011, 06:13 PM
Alright, I've thought this over a little, and here's what I've come up with --

http://www.bibleworks.com/forums/showthread.php?5165-ReBakoSynch&p=26864#post26864