PDA

View Full Version : Review of BW9 in current issue of Christian Computing Magazine

ISalzman
10-26-2011, 01:31 PM
Thought people might like to see the article. Kevin Purcell does a reasonably good job with it. You can find it here (http://www.ccmag.com/2011_10/ccmag2011_10kevin.pdf).

Dan Phillips
10-28-2011, 09:45 PM
Thanks, I.

Lee
10-28-2011, 11:43 PM
Thanks for the link.

Interesting suggestions for improvement. I agree with his suggestion for a "Commentary" tab--it makes perfect sense. As far as the search coding, I agree that it's not the most intuitive. But now that I'm used to it, having to type AND or OR before searches seems unnecessarily cumbersome.

Adelphos
10-29-2011, 01:32 PM
A Commentary tab would more or less defeat the seamlessness of the already very useful Resources tab, IMO, and typing AND or OR would be far more cumbersome than just typing in the words you want, and the complaint about having to type a period or a comma seems to me -- and no offense intended -- to be quite pedantic.

Don't fix it if it ain't broke.

Dan Phillips
10-29-2011, 08:47 PM
Goodness, I wish there were something that made the commentaries more useful. Click on them, and you get twenty entries where the verse is mentioned -- you have to click through every one to find out which one is the actual comment on the verse. Cumbersome.

Adelphos
10-29-2011, 09:29 PM
Goodness, I wish there were something that made the commentaries more useful. Click on them, and you get twenty entries where the verse is mentioned -- you have to click through every one to find out which one is the actual comment on the verse. Cumbersome.

So how would you determine which verses the commentary should quit linking to since it's mentioned in all the links that are provided. All those that start with "a" or perhaps "b" or maybe those that don't support Calvinism?

I'd rather have to click through them than have entries that it contains arbitrarily omitted. Furthermore, on my Resource Tab it tells you which verse is which. How are you accessing the commentary???

And as for typing AND or OR as the review suggested, consider this...

.grace faith hope love peace
grace AND faith AND hope AND peace AND love

Both example would return the EXACT SAME RESULTE, but...

In the first example I have to type ONE extra character -- the period.

In the second example, I have to type TWELVE extra characters.

If I did a similar search ten times, I'd have to type the equivalent of a small book to do all my searches using the proposed second example, whereas I only have to type ONE to do a hoard of searches the way BW already nicely has it set up. And quite frankly, if somebody can't learn to type a period or a comma, I think they probably ought not to be usiing BW in the first place.

bobvenem
10-30-2011, 06:57 AM
1. A more detailed means of cataloging resources (e.g., dividing commentaries into types, theological bent, etc.)

2. The categories for all resources are user-customizable (i.e., the category under which a resource can be changed at will)

3. Resource categories can be turned on/off via toggles

If any of these are already implemented, please describe how they can be accessed.

Adelphos
10-30-2011, 11:29 AM
I don't know that any of these are now functionable, but more customization is always desireable, IMO. I am of the opionion that an app can't have too many options.

Mark Eddy
10-31-2011, 04:10 PM
1. A more detailed means of cataloging resources (e.g., dividing commentaries into types, theological bent, etc.)
Dividing commentaries into types, especially theologically, would be subjective, contrary to the way BW tries to operate (just give us the facts of the biblical text, and standard reference works, and let the users decide what is good, right, and salutary). Besides, if a user is not turned away from a commentary by its label, he might actually look at it and learn something from it. And if he has no one to label it for him, he could ask on the forum. Such labels have been applied to some of the reference works in BW in previous threads.

2. The categories for all resources are user-customizable (i.e., the category under which a resource can be changed at will)
Actually this can already be done from within "My Computer," but not from within BW. In "My Computer" in the BW9 databases folder find the .chd file for the database you wish to customize. Open it with Wordpad or some other text editor. On the MENUNAMEline change the current desitnation to what you want. For example, I have changed a number of those databases designated "Backgrounds" to "Confessions" when they are post-biblical. So you could catalogue your commentaries into types, if you so choose.

3. Resource categories can be turned on/off via toggles
No need to do this, if subjective categories are not supplied. Besides, BW does not envision including tons of commentaries anyway. Another company does that just fine, and extermal links can be made from BW to the other company's databases.

If any of these are already implemented, please describe how they can be accessed.
I hope this answered your questions.
Mark Eddy

Adelphos
10-31-2011, 05:23 PM
Actually this can already be done from within "My Computer," but not from within BW. In "My Computer" in the BW9 databases folder find the .cdh file for the database you wish to customize. Open it with Wordpad or some other text editor. On the MENUNAMEline change the current desitnation to what you want.

Actually, it's a ".chd" file, not ".cdh" but that is a GREAT tip. I never knew that, and I was not happy with some of the assignments. Now I can change them thanks to your tip.

Leave it to Eddy to come with all the arcane things BibleWorks can do. :cool:

Dan Phillips
10-31-2011, 09:32 PM
No, Scott. I just mean when I'm on (say) Isa. 62:5, have some way of telling which of the (say) nineteen entries on the commentary is the actual commentary, rather than every place the verse is cited in the book. As in Logos: enter that verse, all the commentary links to the comments are what come up, not every single citation of the verse.

Adelphos
10-31-2011, 10:19 PM
No, Scott. I just mean when I'm on (say) Isa. 62:5, have some way of telling which of the (say) nineteen entries on the commentary is the actual commentary, rather than every place the verse is cited in the book. As in Logos: enter that verse, all the commentary links to the comments are what come up, not every single citation of the verse.

Ah! I agree with you completely on that. It can get confusing fast. I just don't have a good suggestion as to how to fix it.

Nord Zootman
10-31-2011, 10:21 PM

I love to do exegesis with Bibleworks, but find Logos is much better with commentaries for this very reason!