10-24-2011, 02:17 PM
Charles Hodge's Systematic Theology is free for BW through WordSearch:

http://www.wordsearchbible.com/bibleworks/Systematic_Theology_1238.html

ISalzman
10-24-2011, 03:02 PM
That is great. Thanks!

arggem
10-24-2011, 06:17 PM
Just got it! Thanks for letting us know!

ISalzman
10-24-2011, 07:10 PM
Works like a charm. Shows up on the Resource Summary page. Now if only we could get Chafer's Systematic Theology for that good eschatology! :)

Adelphos
10-24-2011, 09:22 PM
Well, I guess I'm the only one with a bad experience with WordSearch...

In the first place, WordSearch has to be the absolutely SLOWEST web on the entire internet. I have NEVER encountered a website that slow.

Apparently the last time I visted was long ago, so I had to reset my passord. That took about 10 minutes because WordSearch never refreshed the pages, even after it FINALLY loaded. I had to manipulate the browser to go to several of the pages, and I had to try several times.

To make a LONG -- and I do mean LONG -- story short, even AFTER I successfully completed all the information, WordSearch tells me that in order to inall the module I must open WordSearch or BibleExplorer and click the Help menu blah blah blah.

I have neither of those programs to the best of my knowledge.

I'm glad I didn't have to pay for it since I never got it. I'm also glad I already have it in hardcopy so I can actually refer to it when I want to.

It would seem to me that the simple thing to do would simply ALLOW people to SAVE AS when downloading a product, but then, "simple" is a very tough concept for a great many programs.

ISalzman
10-24-2011, 09:29 PM
Scott, I must concur with you about the slowness of their website. It was a little surprising. But I did other tasks and allowed the download to go on in the background. Eventually, the download finished. Re your other issue, there were two different icons/downloads available on the Wordsearch website for Hodge's Systematic Theology: one of them was for Wordsearch, the other was for BibleWorks. From your description, it sounds like you might have clicked on the wrong download. Possible?

Irving

Adelphos
10-24-2011, 09:54 PM
No, I clicked the "Add To Cart" button. When I clicked the BW button absolutely nothing happened. I guess that's due to the absurd slowness. I'll try it again when I've got a half hour to spend on it.

ISalzman
10-24-2011, 10:02 PM
I hear you. I hope you have a better experience next time.

Adelphos
10-24-2011, 10:21 PM
Apparently the WordSearch website doesn't like me. I followed the link, logged in (which took several minutes), went back to the download page, and checked to make SURE that I was still logged in, and the ONLY button that works is the "Add To Cart" button. Clicking either of the other two does absolutely nothing.

That is the most convoluted website I've ever encountered. I'm sure I could figure it out, but I have no intention of clipping my toenails and other stuff while I wait for each webpage to load.

If they had five of the most glorious books ever penned on sale for a dollar a piece I woulnd't buy them, just because of their website, and I can guarantee you that are PLENTY of people out there like me.

ISalzman
10-24-2011, 10:31 PM
I just checked their site again. There are two 'Add to Shopping Cart' buttons, one for the Wordsearch version, one for the BibleWorks version. Sorry for sounding like a broken record, but you clicked the latter?

Adelphos
10-24-2011, 10:43 PM
Yes I did. I clicked both buttons, as a matter of fact, first the BW several times (the cursor never changes into the hand-finger, BTW), and then the other and neither worked. I remember seeing something in my earlier twenty minute foray about maybe having to set up a user account, but hell will freeze over before I do that until they buy more bandwidth and get a professional to design their website.

christlove
10-25-2011, 11:36 AM
Hey.

I just downloaded the module and after finishing there flashed up a window which said just about "The resource is now ready to use with BW", but as I´m looking for the resource in BW I can´t find it in the resource summary window nor in the Resources Menu.
Can anybody help? I use BW 8.

Blessings,
Steffen

Michael Hanel
10-25-2011, 11:42 AM
If you downloaded it successfully it should show up under Resources | Theology.

christlove
10-25-2011, 11:46 AM
Just found it myself and wanted to let you guys know about it. I´ve overlooked the category "theology".
Thx anyway for the extreme quick respone, Michael.

Blessings,
Steffen

ISalzman
10-25-2011, 11:50 AM
Hey.

I just downloaded the module and after finishing there flashed up a window which said just about "The resource is now ready to use with BW", but as I´m looking for the resource in BW I can´t find it in the resource summary window nor in the Resources Menu.
Can anybody help? I use BW 8.

Blessings,
Steffen

Hey Steffen,

I know that it works with BW8. I installed Hodge's Systematic Theology on both of my computers yesterday. On one of them, I run BW8 and on the other, I run BW9. I've got the module working in both installations. Speaking specifically to BW8, the module should be viewable in the following two ways:

1. On your 'Resources' menu about halfway down, you should see the item 'Theology.' Hover your mouse over that and a submenu should be displayed that says 'Hodge's Systematic Theology.'

2. It will also be listed on the Resources Summary tab in the Analysis Window, but ONLY if it has something to say about your current verse in the Browse Window. On the Command Line, key in John 3:16 (Joh 3 16) and then scroll down your Resources Summary tab. You should find an entry for Hodge's Systematic Theology.

Hope this helps.

Irving

Adelphos
10-25-2011, 12:00 PM
Just out of curiosity, have you all given your credit card numbers to open a user account??? Or am I missing something?

ISalzman
10-25-2011, 12:13 PM
Hey Scott, it didn't ask me for any credit card information. However, I have been a customer of Wordsearch in the past and perhaps they have that info on file. (I'm not certain though.) But it's been ages since I've made a purchase there. They do have some good resources and books that are available nowhere else however. The great thing is that they are now making resources for BibleWorks users, which as Michael Hanel has blogged about earlier, is a great cooperative venture and a win-win situation for everybody.

Irving

Adelphos
10-25-2011, 12:23 PM
They asked me, but I've never bought anything there.

Yes, they do have a lot of good resources, and it is great that they have partnered with BW, however...

It is BASIC programming etiquette to pop up a message box when a user clicks a button and yet is not allowed to go any further. It is BASIC programming etiquette to tell the user WHY he can't go further, and to tell the user HOW to resolve the matter.

There are so many BASIC oversigts on that website that I marvel, in addition to the extremem slowness. Had the website been up to standards I probably would have complied, but I would never in a million years entrust my credit card information to a substandard website, because a substandard website inevitably means substandard security, which would no only allow for a junior hacker to break in, but also malware, viruses, bots, etc.

And once I've been soured, it's almost impossible to unsour me.

Fortunately, I like hardcopy bettern than electronic copy. Makes my home library look a lot more impressive! :cool:

ISalzman
10-25-2011, 12:37 PM
Fortunately, I like hardcopy bettern than electronic copy. Makes my home library look a lot more impressive! :cool:

Not knocking you for your frustration; I can appreciate it. But it sure is nice when you're studying a verse in BW - for example, John 3:16 - to be able to glance down the Resource Summary tab and find what Hodge's Systematic Theology has to say on/about the verse. I still think the Resource Summary tab is the best thing about BibleWorks, but admittedly, there is no shortage of best things about the program!

Adelphos
10-25-2011, 12:47 PM
Not knocking you for your frustration; I can appreciate it. But it sure is nice when you're studying a verse in BW - for example, John 3:16 - to be able to glance down the Resource Summary tab and find what Hodge's Systematic Theology has to say on/about the verse. I still think the Resource Summary tab is the best thing about BibleWorks, but admittedly, there is no shortage of best things about the program!

I agree. It is definitely a very nice advantage, but I'm not really frustrated because I really don't care too much about it. I get more frustrated over carelessness and slopiness with people who are capable of so much more.

There is no doubt that WordSearch with BW will be useful to many people, but not me because, as I said, I really don't mess with commentaries or dictionaries or any of that anymore. I generally stick strictly to the Word itself anymore, and I have found the Holy Spirit honoring that INFINTELY MORE than when I used to consult commentaries, dictionaries, etc.

ISalzman
10-25-2011, 02:10 PM
Sola scriptura!

Adelphos
10-25-2011, 03:24 PM
Sola scriptura!

Sorry, Irv, but I don't understand Portuguese! :mad:

ISalzman
10-25-2011, 03:58 PM
Latin = "Only scripture." The cry of the reformers.

Adelphos
10-25-2011, 04:31 PM
I was just funning with you, Irving! :cool: My wife is down there right now (South America), so it just came to mind! I think you would have to be face-to-face with me to know when I'm just jacking around.

ISalzman
10-25-2011, 05:21 PM
No problem, Scott. All in fun. I hear the beef is pretty good in South America.

Adelphos
10-25-2011, 06:35 PM
I hear the beef is pretty good in South America.

For whatever reason, I can drink the water and eat the food down there and in Mexico, etc., without getting sick like everybody else. I've had some very good food down south, especially in the higher-end places.

christlove
10-26-2011, 11:17 AM
Just out of curiosity, have you all given your credit card numbers to open a user account??? Or am I missing something?

No, Scott, you have missed something. I don´t even have one and opened an account. If you are not too unnerved you might give it another try.

Blessings,
Steffen

Adelphos
10-26-2011, 11:49 AM
No, Scott, you have missed something. I don´t even have one and opened an account. If you are not too unnerved you might give it another try.

Blessings,
Steffen

Thanks, Steffen. I finally discovered that I had to download and install the WordSearch Installer for BibleWorks. I had to search around and read a bunch of obscure text to figure that out, but I finally got, thanks to your persistence, because I never would have tried it again but for you. Thanks again.

ISalzman
10-26-2011, 11:54 AM
Thanks, Steffen. I finally discovered that I had to download and install the WordSearch Installer for BibleWorks. I had to search around and read a bunch of obscure text to figure that out, but I finally got, thanks to your persistence, because I never would have tried it again but for you. Thanks again.

Hey Scott, I guess my persistence was unsuccessful, huh? :( Oh well, I tried. All's well that ends well, though. Glad you got it to work. You can't beat the price for Hodge ($0.00).

Adelphos
10-26-2011, 12:38 PM
Hey Scott, I guess my persistence was unsuccessful, huh? :( Oh well, I tried. All's well that ends well, though. Glad you got it to work. You can't beat the price for Hodge ($0.00).

I apprciate your comments all the time, Irving. But you're sort of like family, i.e., it goes without saying. :cool:

ISalzman
10-26-2011, 12:52 PM
Thanks Scott, ditto.

Yaku Lee
10-26-2011, 10:23 PM
I would like to add, if I may, a few words on my own experience of frustration and solution with Hodge’s Systematic Theology.

Assuming that it is a simple Download and Install process caused all my frustration. I had to go through a regular book purchase procedures, and to get the receipt with a price tag of $0.00.

On the receipt, the first line of instruction on installing the book in BW says:

1. Download and run the WORDsearch Book Installer for BibleWorks

But the instruction should have been, “To download, run the WORDsearch … BibleWorks,” because the “Installer” downloads AND installs. And there was the confusion and the solution for me!

With regards

Adelphos
10-27-2011, 02:05 AM
I would like to add, if I may, a few words on my own experience of frustration and solution with Hodge’s Systematic Theology... But the instruction should have been, “To download, run the WORDsearch … BibleWorks,” because the “Installer” downloads AND installs. And there was the confusion and the solution for me!

The content on the WordSearch is very attractive. The Website itself is very much below standard. I've run a few businesses in my time, and nobody who worked for me would last long if that is the quality he produced. Blunt is the only gear I know, or at least the only gear my conscience will allow.

WordSearch has a great deal to offer it... they ought to learn HOW to offer it. As I said, in spite of all the good stuff, there is no way I'd give my credit card info to a sight of that caliber. I suspect if they upgraded their site to a legitimate professional status they'd probably see a fairly good increase in their revenues, even in this economy, as what they have to offer is attrative, but how it's offered is a HUGE barrier and turn-off.

christlove
10-27-2011, 11:02 AM

Hehe, nice to hear that. Have a great day, Scott.

Blessings,
Steffen