PDA

View Full Version : CNTTS search very slow when applying search limits

Peter
10-17-2011, 03:36 PM
Dear friends,
is there something wrong ? When I apply search limits in "Options" in a CNTTS search, BibleWorks gets really slow.
Yours
Peter

Michael Hanel
10-17-2011, 03:55 PM
Dear friends,
is there something wrong ? When I apply search limits in "Options" in a CNTTS search, BibleWorks gets really slow.
Yours
Peter

The more precisely you explain what you were searching for or how you were searching, the easier it will be for someone else to do the exact same search to let you know whether it's unique to you or not. Based on what you said, I don't know exactly what you did.

MGVH
10-17-2011, 03:56 PM
Just ran a search on CNTTS without applying limits. Ran immediately with no problem.
Set limits in BW to John, set Options to use Search limits, ran search on just one papyrus > Crashed BW9
Repeated test with same results.

Does seem there is a problem there...

Peter
10-17-2011, 04:44 PM
Friends,
thank you ! Please try to set search limits say on John, open the CNTTS search, apply Search limits from main window, chose a MS (in my case MT) and press "search". It takes a very long time and no results appear afterwords.
I think too, that there's something wrong.
Yours
Peter

admin
10-18-2011, 10:24 AM
The bug is fixed and a new EXE should be up shortly! Thanks for your patience.

Michael

Peter
10-18-2011, 04:15 PM
Thank you Michael so far. I just downloaded the patch, restarted Windows and tried it again, but nothing has changed. I still have the same problem.
Thank you for further assistance !
Yours
Peter, Germany
www.streitenberger.com (http://www.streitenberger.com)

MGVH
10-18-2011, 04:41 PM
It does run much more slowly w/ search limits on (depending on search, 15 seconds or so...), but it does run and does not crash.
Thanks!
Using 9.0.005u.1

MTan
10-19-2011, 10:52 AM
Peter, does the program show version 9.0.005u.1? If so, please list the steps and settings that reproduce the crash. Thanks!

Peter
10-19-2011, 01:21 PM
Dear Michael,
you wrote:
>Peter, does the program show version 9.0.005u.1?
Yes, exactly - how did you know :-)

The problem is always the same. I set search limits, let's say John, in the main window. Then I open the CNTTS-search window and apply these search limits (Option - use search limit settings from main window). Then I select a Manuscript, let's say MT or any other and start the search. The result is, that it takes very long and no search result appears.

It would be nice if I could use this feature, as it's important for me. I work daily with BW9.
Thank you for further assistance and help !
Yours
Peter

Peter
10-20-2011, 11:22 AM
Dear BibleWorks-Team,

just a moment I'll check the new Patch !
P.

The situation got worse after installing the newest Patch. When I apply search limits for the CNTTS search, BibleWorks crashes. Sometimes it takes minutes and no search result appears.
A good friend, who uses BibleWorks 9 as well, told me, he has the same problem.
Please help !
Peter

TJS
10-20-2011, 11:36 AM
Dear friends,

What a pity!
But I have the same problem as Peter's.
The CNTTS search doesn't work applying search limits. BW crashes.

Thomas

MTan
10-20-2011, 12:08 PM
For those still having crashes, what is the EXE version shown in Help | About? Is it 9.0.005v.1?

Also, could you please give the steps you follow to produce a crash? I am not able to reproduce a crash, even with search limits of John searching on MT.

It is slow, but I will work on speeding that up.

Thanks!
Michael

TJS
10-20-2011, 01:58 PM
Yes, Michael, it is "Version 9.0.005v.1 (SH)".

First: "Search" --> Set Search Limits --> Limit the search using the books ... --> Clear All --> "John" (New Testament) --> "OK"
Second: "Resources" --> Text Criticism --> CNTTS, NT Apparatus (search) --> Clear --> MS: MT --> Options: Use search limits ... --> "Search"
Third: It crashes.

Thanks for your help!
Thomas

MGVH
10-20-2011, 03:08 PM
I'm using version 9.0.005u.1 on a 6 year old WinXP machine.

Using the MT (ie, Majority Text) will put stress on a system since there are 75,000+ variants.
I just duplicated your search except that I used Philippians instead of John for search limits in order to let it go a bit faster. It took about 2 minutes.

I tried again and duplicated your search exactly using John and the MT mss. It took 2 minutes, 41 seconds, but the results were successfully returned.

Peter
10-20-2011, 03:54 PM
Friends,
I have #005.V1 - and the search takes minutes. If I do searches without search limits it takes seconds.
Sometimes BW9 crashes now, no search results are shown afterwords.
Please help !
Yours
Peter, Germany

MGVH
10-20-2011, 05:38 PM
Updated to 005.v.1
Repeated search. Took a couple minutes, but it returned the 9300+ results.

Peter
10-21-2011, 04:04 AM
Dear Friends, after waiting minutes, I don't get any search result (0 hits)each time

admin
10-21-2011, 04:53 PM
Thanks for your help and patience. I found the bug and a new EXE should be up shortly with the fix!

Michael

TJS
10-21-2011, 05:49 PM
Great job, Michael!

Now the CNTTS search applying search limits is working. Very slowly (a 10+ year old WinXP machine) - but it works.
I'm using version 9.0.005y.1.

Thank you very much for your help.

The GRACE of our LORD Jesus Christ be with you all!

Thomas

Peter
10-22-2011, 02:05 AM
Dear Michael, it works now, but very very slowly. Searching the whole NT is faster than only John.
Thank you - is it somehow possible to make it faster?
Yours
Peter

admin
10-24-2011, 10:28 AM
Yes, we'll be trying to speed it up soon. It's not hard, but it will involve an update of the entire CNTTS database file. Thanks for your patience.

Michael