PDA

View Full Version : Searching for singular readings in the CNTTS apparatus

Peter
10-10-2011, 08:34 AM
Friends, how can I find readings in a manuscript, let's say Aleph, that does occour only there (singular readings).
Thank you
Peter

MTan
10-11-2011, 12:04 PM
This is a great question, and it spurred me to tweak the CNTTS search window to make it easier to do what you asked. We designed the CNTTS Search window to make it easy to do straightforward searches of the database and to combine these searches to produce complex results.

To find all lines where one and only one MS is cited (say, Aleph), here's an overview of the searches you could do (there is more than one way):

Search #1. Find all lines containing Aleph
Search #2. Search the lines produced by Search #1 and remove all lines containing all other MSS.

With the results of Search #2 you now have all lines that cite Codex Sinaiticus and only Codex Sinaiticus. This list can be further searched as you desire.

You'll need first to update to the current BW9 executable. I tweaked the CNTTS Search window to allow you to shift-select multiple MSS.

Here are the details for how to do the two searches:

Search #1. Find all lines containing Aleph

1. Click the Clear button to reset the search settings to their default values.
2. Ensure Options | Replace results list with search results is checked.
3. From the MS list, select Aleph:

4. Click the Search button.

This produces a list of all lines containing Codex Sinaiticus citations.

Search #2. Search the lines produced by Search #1 and remove all lines containing all other MSS.

1. In the MS list, select all MS.
a) Do this by scrolling to the top of the MS list and clicking on the first MS.
b) Then, scroll to the bottom of the MS list, hold down the Shift key on your keyboard, and single-click the last MS entry. All MS should now be highlighted.

2. In the MS list, unselect only aleph. Do this by scrolling to aleph, holding down the Control key on your keyboard, and single-clicking the aleph MS entry. The results should look like this:

3. Select Options | Search previous results list. (This causes BibleWorks to search the results list of Search #1.)
4. Select Options | Remove search results from results list. (This causes BibleWorks to remove the matching lines from the results list of Search #1).
5. Click the Search button.

The Search window now displays lines which cite Codex Sinaiticus and only Codex Sinaiticus:

You can further search this list of lines to refine the search results.

I hope that helps!
Michael

Michael Hanel
10-11-2011, 12:34 PM
Thanks Michael! Perhaps some of the CNTTS searching features could be added to the classroom tips so that they're all in one place.

A similar type of CNTTS search tip was posted on the Near Emmaus blog a while ago, you can find it here (http://nearemmaus.com/2011/08/13/bibleworks-9-update-on-the-cnnts-search-option/). The search they are doing is to find the differences between two manuscripts.

Michael Hanel
10-12-2011, 10:56 AM
To reply to myself, I did see that there are a number of helpful examples of types of searches one can do in the BibleWorks Help system. If you want to see them just hit F1 while your mouse is in the CNTTS search window. The search examples are at the end of the Help chapter.

Peter
10-12-2011, 05:17 PM
Dear Michael,
your solution is so smart and helpful. How can I thank you ? It brought exactly the results I needed.
Yours
Peter
www.streitenberger.com