PDA

View Full Version : Henry Alford - The Greek Testament

pasquale
09-13-2011, 05:12 PM
07/17/2008 Pasquale wrote:

I am building 6 greek bible: Griesbach, Lachman, Tregelles, Alford, Wordsworth and Scoltz with "version database compiler".
I have finished Matthew 1:1-25:

Pasquale

after three years of hard work .....

Alford's Greek Testament release 1.1 "version" (OCR scanned images from pdf files, compiled in BibleWorks) - Proofreading is in progress.

per Michael Hanel, please insert it in BibleWorks blog.

Pasquale

Updated 09/24/2011

1) Matthew and Mark proofreaded;
2) A new wmf file compiled by Mark Eddy - Thanks Mark;
3) Corrected some mistakes in punctuation in Acts and letter.

Updated 10/24/2011
1) Release 2 - all books proofreaded twice;
2) a New vmf file.

Michael Hanel
09-13-2011, 05:42 PM
The file is available on the BibleWorks blog, here (http://bibleworks.oldinthenew.org/version/Alford_2.zip). [LINK UPDATED: 10-24-2011]

MGVH
09-13-2011, 05:53 PM
Thanks, Pasquale! And you too, Michael, for putting it up on the blog!

christlove
09-14-2011, 10:29 AM
Thanks a lot, Pasquale!

Steffen

pasquale
09-14-2011, 01:10 PM
930Thanks, Mike, Mark and Steffen.

I realized that I posted an older version of the file.

Here is the newer.

Pasquale

Updated 09/24/2011

1) Matthew and Mark proofreaded;
2) A new wmf file compiled by Mark Eddy - Thanks Mark;
3) Corrected some mistakes in punctuation in Acts and letter.

Updated 10/24/2011
1) Release 2 - all books proofreaded twice;
2) a new vmf file.

Joan Korte
09-15-2011, 06:48 AM
When I look at the resource in archive.org, the title is: "The Greek Testament, with various readings [&c.], prolegomena, and a commentary by H. Alford (1863)". So the original work includes Alford's insightful commentary on the Greek. Is that included with this module for BibleWorks? Thanks!

Michael Hanel
09-15-2011, 11:01 AM
When I look at the resource in archive.org, the title is: "The Greek Testament, with various readings [&c.], prolegomena, and a commentary by H. Alford (1863)". So the original work includes Alford's insightful commentary on the Greek. Is that included with this module for BibleWorks? Thanks!

Nope this is just the text of the Bible edition. Evidently there is an e-sword module (http://www.biblesupport.com/e-sword-downloads/file/5539-the-greek-testament-commentary-alford/) of the commentary, if you're interested in that.

Lee
09-15-2011, 02:10 PM
Evidently there is an e-sword module (http://www.biblesupport.com/e-sword-downloads/file/5539-the-greek-testament-commentary-alford/) of the commentary, if you're interested in that.

Thanks, Michael--just downloaded it. That site looks chock full of great resources for e-Sword.

Michael Hanel
09-15-2011, 02:25 PM
Thanks, Michael--just downloaded it. That site looks chock full of great resources for e-Sword.

There definitely is a lot there. I wish I knew of a quick way to convert e-Sword stuff into a format BibleWorks could use, but I don't.

Joan Korte
09-15-2011, 04:54 PM

Alford, yes, and not to forget Nicoll's Expositor's Greek Testament, Bengal's Gnomon and the ICC NT. You can setup an external link to open e-sword from within Bibleworks, just not to a specific verse or page in a resource in e-sword.

bobvenem
09-21-2011, 07:22 PM
There definitely is a lot there. I wish I knew of a quick way to convert e-Sword stuff into a format BibleWorks could use, but I don't.

The eSword 9 commentaries appear to be SQL files. Anybody know how to convert SQL to HTML?

Michael Hanel
09-21-2011, 07:36 PM
The eSword 9 commentaries appear to be SQL files. Anybody know how to convert SQL to HTML?

I don't have a clue. Presumably the files were in some other format between SQL. It might be easier to ask the people who created them if they are willing to share their source files...

Dale A. Brueggemann
09-22-2011, 12:50 PM

Check out this utility (http://www.biblesupport.com/e-sword-downloads/file/5571-database2rtf-convert-theword-to-rtf/)and see if it would solve things for you. I don't have time today, but I may be taking a stab at it to see if I can move some e-Sword resources into Word.

bobvenem
09-22-2011, 04:17 PM
Thanks, Dale. That was the ticket. Now, from RTF to HTML....

bobvenem
09-22-2011, 05:42 PM
Well, that was indeed the ticket. Using the Expositor's Greek Testament, I built a "quick and dirty" commentary module (no chapter breaks). It does what I need, jumping to the appropriate page in the commentary when I'm checking the resources on a reference.

Michael Hanel
09-24-2011, 01:14 PM
Although Bob teases us with that last post, I'm posting again to report another update (this involved proofreading corrections to the Greek text) which is available for download here (http://bibleworks.oldinthenew.org/version/Alford_1.1b.zip).

bobvenem
09-25-2011, 07:53 AM
Although Bob teases us with that last post, I'm posting again to report another update (this involved proofreading corrections to the Greek text) which is available for download here (http://bibleworks.oldinthenew.org/version/Alford_1.1b.zip).

That was rather cruel, I suppose :eek:

Michael, if you want to post Alford and Nicoll on your website, I can get them to you. Remember, though, they are pretty rough; they will show up in the Resource list when you hover over a verse, but there is no table of context and the links in the documents are virtually non-existent (I currently don't have the time to invest in the project).

Bob

pasquale
10-24-2011, 09:28 AM
Proofreaded Alford's Greek Testament Release 2.

There is a new and revised vmf file.

Pasquale

P.S. X Michael Hanel. Please insert this new release in BibleWorks blog .

Thanks

Michael Hanel
10-24-2011, 11:15 AM
Files updated and available here (http://bibleworks.oldinthenew.org/version/Alford_2.zip).

pasquale
02-14-2012, 05:06 PM
Alford Release 3 (Final) - each book is proofreaded three time by two people
Proofreaded Alford's Greek Testament Release 3.

Pasquale

Mike please put this release in BibleWorks blog

Michael Hanel
02-14-2012, 06:16 PM
Alford Release 3 (Final) - each book is proofreaded three time by two people
Proofreaded Alford's Greek Testament Release 3.

Pasquale

Mike please put this release in BibleWorks blog

The file is available on the unofficial BibleWorks blog here (http://bibleworks.oldinthenew.org/?p=1021).

Please note that for some mysterious reason comments no longer work on the BibleWorks blog. You can make them, they just never show up in the queue for moderation. So if you have any issues, best to do so here.

arggem
02-14-2012, 06:59 PM
Hmmm,

I downloaded and unzipped to databases folder...then unblocked each file. Still, it doesn't show up on resources tab nor in the resources menu.

Am I not doing something correctly? Or am I looking in the wrong place?

Thanks!

Michael Hanel
02-14-2012, 07:07 PM
Hmmm,

I downloaded and unzipped to databases folder...then unblocked each file. Still, it doesn't show up on resources tab nor in the resources menu.

Am I not doing something correctly? Or am I looking in the wrong place?

Thanks!

This is a Bible version, not a module. Bible versions are like BGT, NIV, WTT, etc. They show up in the browse window with the rest of your Bible versions. In the command line type "d alf" to get Alford to show up.

arggem
02-14-2012, 08:17 PM
Ahhhhh. Missed that. Thanks!!

bobvenem
02-15-2012, 10:00 AM
In an earlier post I mentioned that both Alford's and Nicoll's Greek Testament commentaries were available as modules on e-Sword, and that I had converted them to BW modules. Unfortunately, as Michael Hanel discovered, the e-Sword modules were made from the copyrighted editions from Logos, so my BW versions cannot legally be redistributed.

Michael Hanel
02-15-2012, 10:27 PM
I can't speak to other versions of BibleWorks, but the Alford Greek New Testament was now officially added to the base package of BibleWorks 9 and can be downloaded via the system updater. So there's no need to download it via the unofficial BibleWorks Blog if you have BW9.

Joan Korte
02-16-2012, 09:57 AM
I can't speak to other versions of BibleWorks, but the Alford Greek New Testament was now officially added to the base package of BibleWorks 9 and can be downloaded via the system updater. So there's no need to download it via the unofficial BibleWorks Blog if you have BW9.

Why isn't the following included: Alford's Greek Testament with text-critical and exegetical notes? It seems unless there is a copyright issue, the text-critical and exegetical notes would be great to have. :confused:

Michael Hanel
02-16-2012, 11:31 AM
Why isn't the following included: Alford's Greek Testament with text-critical and exegetical notes? It seems unless there is a copyright issue, the text-critical and exegetical notes would be great to have. :confused:

Beggars can't be choosers Joan. Alford is available because a BibleWorks user did the work to type up the text. I imagine he didn't do the notes because that would have added years to how long it would have taken him. Instead just say thanks.

Joan Korte
02-16-2012, 02:45 PM
Beggars can't be choosers Joan. Alford is available because a BibleWorks user did the work to type up the text. I imagine he didn't do the notes because that would have added years to how long it would have taken him. Instead just say thanks.

Michael, Thanks for telling me why. I am ignorant at what it takes both in man hours and what type of source document is needed to get a module like this in BibleWorks. I honestly had no idea it would take years. I just know the free Bible software packages have them as modules and it didn't seem to take years. I have used Bengal, Nicoll, and Alford's works for years from archive.org.

Michael Hanel
02-16-2012, 02:50 PM
Michael, Thanks for telling me why. I am ignorant at what it takes both in man hours and what type of source document is needed to get a module like this in BibleWorks. I honestly had no idea it would take years. I just know the free Bible software packages have them as modules and it didn't seem to take years. I have used Bengal, Nicoll, and Alford's works for years from archive.org.

I don't know how many hours Pasquale actually worked on the transcriptions and proofreading, but based on my own attempts at making versions, I know it takes hours. If you look at the first post of this thread, you can see Pasquale released the first version of Alford in September and only now has he finished and he said he and another user proofread each book three times. It makes my eyes hurt just thinking about it! So sorry if I was a bit abrupt, I just didn't want Pasquale's work to go unappreciated.

Also, as was noted before, there are apparently e-sword modules of some of those commentaries available, but when I downloaded the texts it became immediately clear that they were simply copy and pasted from Logos' versions. While e-sword may, in good conscience, be able to support that, at the unofficial BibleWorks blog, we do not post files that clearly represent an infringement of someone's copyright protection.

twellings
08-11-2012, 08:22 AM
How do you guys know that E-swords Alford commentary is copied from Logos? and could that be the case with the ICCNT, GNOMON, Meyer, and etc.?

Michael Hanel
08-11-2012, 09:23 AM
How do you guys know that E-swords Alford commentary is copied from Logos? and could that be the case with the ICCNT, GNOMON, Meyer, and etc.?

There are a lot of reasons if you look in the HTML you can find residual tags from Logos either referring to Logos book information or using Logos fonts. The files themselves look "funny" and that must stem from something, which turns out to be the fact that they were copied right out of Logos. I haven't look at these other commentaries that you mention, but I would not be surprised if they were also copied from Logos. Just think about works that have no e-text. How do they get to have an e-text? That requires a ton of work and most individuals do not have the resources necessary to make that happen. That's why it's not shocking to see people copy one version from someone who already has it done, in this case Logos. However, that's not our business on this forums, that's between Logos and e-Sword folks.

twellings
12-10-2012, 02:04 AM
There are a lot of reasons if you look in the HTML you can find residual tags from Logos either referring to Logos book information or using Logos fonts. The files themselves look "funny" and that must stem from something, which turns out to be the fact that they were copied right out of Logos. I haven't look at these other commentaries that you mention, but I would not be surprised if they were also copied from Logos. Just think about works that have no e-text. How do they get to have an e-text? That requires a ton of work and most individuals do not have the resources necessary to make that happen. That's why it's not shocking to see people copy one version from someone who already has it done, in this case Logos. However, that's not our business on this forums, that's between Logos and e-Sword folks.

Thanks for the information Michael. When I look at the HTML, what would I be looking for specifically? Also, you asked where they would have gotten their e-text. I know websites like Archive.org have many of these commentaries available and they are already OCRed. All one would have to do is go through and change the Greek, which would still be labor but not as much s it would take to type each word out. I know this isn't exactly a BibleWorks issue, but you are the only one I have heard this from and I really want to know if I am breaking copyright.

Michael Hanel
12-10-2012, 09:32 AM
Thanks for the information Michael. When I look at the HTML, what would I be looking for specifically? Also, you asked where they would have gotten their e-text. I know websites like Archive.org have many of these commentaries available and they are already OCRed. All one would have to do is go through and change the Greek, which would still be labor but not as much s it would take to type each word out. I know this isn't exactly a BibleWorks issue, but you are the only one I have heard this from and I really want to know if I am breaking copyright.

I don't have Bob's files around any more, but for instance if you searched the HTML with a text editor for "Logos" or "Libronix" you would find places in the code where those occurred. I know there are places you can find pirated versions of Logos' stuff on the internet. For instance if you go to Bible-library.org, you will probably find some material that truly is legitimate (i.e. taken from public domain sources), but the vast majority of the "meat" of that website is stuff taken right out of Logos and I've noticed that now they even have used a Javascript app to hide the HTML source code just so that it's less obvious.

If you have a particular file that you're looking at, I can advise you if you want. If you're doing something for your own personal use, in my opinion, it's not really something you have to worry about. The concern occurs when you want to distribute the files to others.

JPG
04-13-2013, 04:57 AM
Hi pasquale I have sent you a private message a couple of months back but you have only visited the forum yesterday and have not see/read the message.
It is about this module.

Thanks

Jon