PDA

View Full Version : Problem Updating Version 9 on Mac running XP

Paul Johnson
09-10-2011, 05:51 PM
I am running Version 9.0.005f.1 in Windows XP on a Mac using VMWare Fusion. I had no issues running Version 8 in this same environment. When I try to apply an update patch (for example the Version 9.0.0005s patch that came out yesterday), the following happens:
- patch downloads
- patch says it is applying
- BibleWorks terminates, as normal, in order to restart
- See a "Please wait - house-cleaning" message
- Then see crash message "BibleWorks 9.0 has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." This appears to be a standard Windows crash message, because it has provision to send an error report to Microsoft.
- When I restart BibleWorks manually, it has not been updated. It is still at Version 9.0.005f.1.

I have tried "Repairing" the installation with the installation DVDs. No avail. Next is an uninstall/reinstall attempt, but I thought I would check here first.

Any suggestions as to what to do?

Paul

Paul Johnson
09-11-2011, 02:04 AM
I tried uninstalling and then reinstalling. Still getting crash and still failing to update. I did notice that Version 9.0.005f.1 is the version that comes on the DVDs, so no updates have been working since my original installation.

Does anyone know an alternative way to install the patches after they have already been downloaded?

Regards,
Paul

Paul Johnson
09-24-2011, 04:18 AM
For future reference, if anyone else has a similar problem, here is what Mark from Tech Support told me to do:

1. Shut down BibleWorks.
2. Navigate to the c:\Program Files\BibleWorks 9 folder and delete the patches subfolder
3. Insert your BibleWorks 9 Program Disc, choose Install\Reconfigure and
several screens in run the Repair option.
4. Go to Help | BibleWorks on the Internet | Check for updates and run only
the BibleWorks Executable update. Verify that BibleWorks is updated properly
to the latest executable.
5. Run the other updates for BibleWorks 9.

After step 4, BibleWorks did update to version 9.0.005s.1 (the latest version) without crashing. Unfortunately, after step 5 the program crashed again; however, it appears that the necessary files did get updated. We'll see what happens with future updates.

Regards,
Paul