PDA

View Full Version : How would I do this GSE Enquiry?

jimofbentley
09-06-2011, 02:43 AM
I would like to do a search on the "Fruit of the Spirit" in Galatians 5, and find where two or more of these terms are used in the same passage (within 1 or 2 verses).

Naturally, a simple "and" search won't do it, as it would only find Galatians 5, and an "or" search won't work either as it would find everything, including where the particular term is used without any of the others.

So how can I develop a query in order to find when two or more of these characteristics occur?

Thanks for your help.

MGVH
09-06-2011, 10:22 AM
... are possible. Given the vagaries of translation, I'll use the Greek, but you can you any version/translation of your choice.
Here's the fastest way to do it:

Command line: There is a verse parameter possible even on the command line. After you have chosen your version (in my example, BGM) and cleared your range limits, type: .καρπος πνευμα;2
It's that ;2 at the end that says to look for both words over the span of 2 verses. I get 24 hits in 9 verses.

Another way to scan and see if there is anything interesting is to use the "Use" or "Words" or "Context" subtabs in the Analysis pane. That won't return the results you want in this instance, however, and if a word is too common, there will be more results to scan than you care for.

Now if you do want to use the GSE, there are two ways to do it:

The fastest way is to type in the command line as above (.καρπος πνευμα;2) but do not hit ENTER. Instead, open the GSE (use Tools in the green bar below the command line, the magnifying glass in the button bar, or Search>GSE from the menu). The GSE will open with those parameters already in place. Hit the "go" button, and you will get a little message box indicating that you need to turn off hit highlighting to continue. You can do so, and it will give the results you want ... but without hit highlighting!
If you want to have hit highlighting, you need to reconstruct the search in GSE.

Start by typing [ .καρπος πνευμα ] in the command line and then opening the GSE. (Note that I've removed the ;2 parameter.)
Now add an Ordering box (two boxes with a curved line). Double-click the box and indicate "At most __ words." 50 or so should be get the results you want. In this dialogue box, also check the "Ignore word order" option.
Next, using the menu of the GSE, click Query > Properties. Click the Flags tab. Check the first box for highlighting. Check the second verse to do the cross verse boundary search. OK
Go ahead and hit "go."
NOTE: The highlighting may appear to be wrong. From what I've surmised, the issue is crossing verse boundaries which throws off which word to highlight. Look around and you will find the word you want in there...

arggem
09-06-2011, 12:17 PM
Hmmm, when I first read the OP, I thought he was referring to just the two words "fruit" and "Spirit," but he says

and find where two or more of these terms

I think he might be meaning the list of terms i.e. love, joy, peace, patience, etc. I think he wants passages where 2 or more of those terms appears in a passage.

MGVH
09-06-2011, 12:39 PM
@arggem: That makes more sense...

In that case, then the tool you want is the "Related Verses Tool." Start it via the menu: Tools > Analyzing the text > Related Verses Tool.

Choose the version. (You are best off using BGM)
Enter Gal 5:22.
For a threshold, you probably want 3 or more hits.
For a display, you can choose an English version which makes it very easy to scan the text.
Under Options, be sure to toggle on "Cross Verse Boundaries"
In the "Search Words" box, make your choices. Uncheck the articles, particles, and the ειμι verb

And there you go! It's a wonderful tool...

jimofbentley
09-06-2011, 07:41 PM
Thank you very much - that is exactly what I needed.