PDA

View Full Version : Fun GSE Exercise! Step right up and test your skills!

MGVH
08-27-2011, 12:25 PM
Over on the BiblicalExegesis blog (http://www.biblicalexegesis.org/blog/?tag=accordance-search-commands), James Tucker is conducting an exercise using Accordance trying to find instances in the Bible where "beginning" is at the beginning of a verse or within 7 words of the start of the verse. I wanted to figure out how to do this in BibleWorks, and it provides a good opportunity to learn a couple tricks using the GSE = Graphical Search Engine and to test your logic skills.

As a better example of this kind of challenge, let's use the Greek and look for instances of αρχη.
To make things run faster, I'm going to limit my search to the Gospel of Mark.
Our challenge: Find all the instances in the Greek Gospel of Mark where αρχη occurs within the first 7 words of a verse.

For a limited section of biblical text and for a not overly frequent word, the easiest way is simply to:

Set your limits (l Mark)
Switch to the morphological version (bgm)
Type your search (.αρχη)

Now you can simply scan your results, and you should see that Mark 1.1 and 10.6 are the solution. But what if we want to search a larger section of text or a more commonly used word? Here is where we would want to use the GSE.

Before starting the GSE, there are a couple things to remember and do to speed up your searching process.

The GSE uses the search limits of the currently open tab. So, set your limits first.
The version used in the GSE will start with whatever is the active search version. (You can change any/all search versions later in GSE if you wn+
If you have some idea of what you are going to be searching for, start typing it in the command line. When you then start the GSE, it will pick up whatever it can from that command line. This is particularly helpful if you have a few words you want to search for, because it will create all the word boxes for you.

So, set your limits to Mark. (l Mark)
Set your version to BGM. (bgm)
Type .αρχη in the command line.
Start GSE. You start the GSE by

Click on the magnifying class (In my setup, it's there between the yellow key and the globe)
Click on Tools in the green bar below the command line and choose the GSE
Use the menu bar at top and choose Search > GSE

For our challenge, we now have to figure out a logic for finding αρχη within the first 7 words of a verse. My first thought was to add another word box and let it look for any word, and link it to the αρχη word box, and then set them up to be within "at most 7 words" starting from the beginning of the verse. How do we do all that?

Add another word box. Double-click on it to open the dialog box. Type an asterisk in the Word box. Now, note that you can specify the position of a word. (highlighted in red) Set it to the first word from beginning and click ok.

Now we want to connect the word boxes. Click on and use the straight line connector to connect our new word box to the AND box.
Now use the ordering connector (curved line) to connect the two word boxes. Double click on that ordering box and set it to "At most" 7 words.

Okay! This is what your box should look like:
Go ahead and click "go" and... we only end up w/ Mark 10.6. Why don't we get Mark 1.1? Because we have set it so that αρχη must be among the first 7 words but if it is in that wildcard position as the first word, we would have to have αρχη occur again in the verse for the result to show.

So, how can we make our search challenge work? I'll let you try to figure it out from here, but I've attached the QF file you can open to see how I did it. (BTW, the QF files should be saved in the ASE subdirectory of your BW program directory.)

Enjoy!

Michael Hanel
08-27-2011, 12:41 PM
Is this cheating?

Command Line: bgm
CL: l mark
CL: '*7 αρχη

But I look at the results and there seem to be too many hits because it doesn't count from the beginning of the verse. Darn. I thought I outsmarted the system.

ISalzman
08-27-2011, 10:08 PM
I thought your .qf file would contain the answer, but, alas, I don't notice a difference from the screenshots you've posted in this thread. Well, one minor difference. In your .qf file, both word boxes have blue bars on the left. In the screenshots above, one of the word boxes has a yellow bar on the left. Don't know if that makes a difference. Does it? I hope you'll eventually provide the answer. Great challenge though. I hope you'll do more of these in the future. This was kind of like the Classroom Tips that have been posted.

MGVH
08-27-2011, 11:45 PM
The attached QF file is the solution, and it is different than the pic in the screen shot w/ the unsatisfactory solution.
Look again!
(The color bars don't matter. The yellow bar simply means it was the last box I clicked on.)

MGVH
08-27-2011, 11:54 PM
˙ʇı ǝɹoɟǝq spɹoʍ 7 ʇsoɯ ʇɐ sı ηχρα ʇɐɥʇ os xoq buıɹǝpɹo ǝɥʇ ʇǝs uǝɥʇ ˙ǝsɹǝʌ ǝɥʇ ɟo uoıʇısod buıuuıbǝq ɯoɹɟ ɥʇ7 ǝɥʇ uı xoq pɹɐɔpןıʍ ǝɥʇ ǝuıɟǝp oʇ sı ʞɔıɹʇ ǝɥʇ

ISalzman
08-28-2011, 02:00 PM
Thanks. Gotcha. Tried it and it works! Great exercise.

By the way, since I followed your step by step procedure, I made the BGM my search version (fully understandable, by the way). Is there a way to stop the BGM from becoming a display version after making it the search version? I hate when morphology versions become display versions. In Options, I have my Browse Window options set so that morphology versions should not automatically be set as display versions. But, evidently, that does not prevent BGM from becoming a display version when you make it the search version. Any ideas? Thank you.

Oh, and how on earth were you able to get your last post to display upside down, pray tell?

MGVH
08-29-2011, 10:50 AM
Thanks. Gotcha. Tried it and it works! Great exercise.

By the way, since I followed your step by step procedure, I made the BGM my search version (fully understandable, by the way). Is there a way to stop the BGM from becoming a display version after making it the search version? I hate when morphology versions become display versions. In Options, I have my Browse Window options set so that morphology versions should not automatically be set as display versions. But, evidently, that does not prevent BGM from becoming a display version when you make it the search version. Any ideas? Thank you.

When I walk my students through the setup of BW, this is one of the first things we do.

Tools > Options
General > Flags
Browse Window Configuration Options >
UNCHECK "Automatically make morphology versions display versions"

It sounds like you already have done that part. The 'trick' to keep the morphology versions from appearing depends on whether you are in 'verse' view or 'browse' view. (With mouse in the Browse pane, hit "B" to toggle or click on little footprints at top.)
I.e., if you are just displaying a single verse in the Browse pane, invoking BGM will not cause it to appear.
If you are in 'browse' mode w/ just a single version displaying, invoking BGM will cause it to display.

Oh, and how on earth were you able to get your last post to display upside down, pray tell?
Copy / paste from HERE (http://www.fliptext.org/)

ISalzman
08-29-2011, 10:56 AM
When I walk my students through the setup of BW, this is one of the first things we do.
Tools > Options
General > Flags
Browse Window Configuration Options >
UNCHECK "Automatically make morphology versions display versions"

That will do it!

Thanks Mark. However, I already have (and had) that unchecked. That doesn't seem to prevent the morphology versions (BGM, at any rate) from also becoming display versions when you set them as the search version.

Copy / paste from HERE (http://www.fliptext.org/)

Thanks again.

MGVH
08-29-2011, 11:57 AM
You must have responded in the one minute between when I posted initially and then edited w/ the additional info you need. The updated post explains the situation now...

ISalzman
08-29-2011, 12:11 PM
Gotcha. Thanks Mark.