PDA

View Full Version : Missing translations for the LXE?

jdarlack
10-12-2004, 12:07 PM
Hello all,

Has anyone out there translated the portions of the LXX that are not covered by Brenton's translation for BibleWorks (LXE)?

Does anyone know of public domain portions of these texts that are already digitized?

The texts in question are as follows:

Joshua A
Judges A
Tobit S
Odes of Solomon
Susanna TH
Daniel TH
Bel TH

It would make sense that these Greek files have English translations available!

Mark Eddy
10-13-2004, 03:41 PM
Actually some of the translations you want are already in BibleWorks.
Most translations of Susanna are translations of Sut rather than of Sus. (E.g. KJA, RSV, NRS, etc.). So what is really lacking is a translation of Sus.

The same is true for Bel. Most translations translate Bet.

For Tobit the RSV (and older translations) translate Tob, but NRS translates Tobit S.

There are usually text critical reasons that the versions choose which version to translate, and leave the other untranslated.

If you really want to study the Greek, it is better not the "cheat" and look at someone else's translation. Just look up the words you don't know in the auto-info window.

I hope this helps, a little bit.
Mark Eddy

jdarlack
10-14-2004, 03:08 AM
If you really want to study the Greek, it is better not the "cheat" and look at someone else's translation. Just look up the words you don't know in the auto-info window.
Thanks Mark!

I agree about the "cheating" part of this request.

The reason I asked is that the other day I was demonstrating how to use BibleWorks for Greek lexical studies to an introductory New Testament Interpretation class. When we did a search on a particular lemma, various hits occured in the "alternate" Greek texts, for which there was no English translation.

For the sake of speed--especially looking at a large amount of data--it would be helpful to have translations of each of these works readily available.

This brings up a feature request.

Could a user-defined "book specific" favorites list be developed? So that if someone wanted to use a particular English translation for a particular book, they could? Then in the general favorites dialog "Book Specific" could simply be another option along with the other favorites.