PDA

View Full Version : BW9 on netbook

LarryW
08-19-2011, 09:37 AM
Has anyone tried running BW9 on a netbook? I have one with Windows 7 Home Starter and was wondering about installing a basic install on it. I have an external DVD drive to connect to it.

If any experience, hows the speed of searches and does the smaller screen make it more difficult to use?

Thanks,
Larry

Michael Hanel
08-19-2011, 09:47 AM
Has anyone tried running BW9 on a netbook? I have one with Windows 7 Home Starter and was wondering about installing a basic install on it. I have an external DVD drive to connect to it.

If any experience, hows the speed of searches and does the smaller screen make it more difficult to use?

Thanks,
Larry

It's probably not as lightning fast as a desktop, but I doubt it's very noticeable. I still run BW9 on my laptop which I got in 2006 and it's fine. I can't imagine the netbook being much slower than that.

Glenn Weaver
08-20-2011, 09:43 AM
Hi Larry,

We are running BW9 on Dell Minis with 9inch screens and Windows XP. It runs great. I don't know if BW9 works on Windows 7 Starter edition or not. You would have to contact Customer Service to ask about that if the installation does not work.

Blessings,
Glenn

christlove
08-21-2011, 03:44 AM
Hey Glenn.

How about the screen space considering the fourth column? I can imagine that it´s difficult to work with four columns on 9 inch.
Right now I´m using 10 inch for BW8 and considering getting a bigger Laptop for BW9.

Blessings,
Steffen

Michael Hanel
08-21-2011, 09:17 AM
Hey Glenn.

How about the screen space considering the fourth column? I can imagine that it´s difficult to work with four columns on 9 inch.
Right now I´m using 10 inch for BW8 and considering getting a bigger Laptop for BW9.

Blessings,
Steffen

Well screen space vs. processor is a completely different issue. It's one of the reasons I hope they continue to make desktops. Laptops (or netbooks) are nice for portability, but desktops (or plugging a laptop into a decent monitor) are kings of productivity.

Dan Phillips
08-21-2011, 11:13 AM
OK, I just ran into a problem trying to load BW9 on my brand-new netbook. Netbooks don't have DVDs, I'm not looking for reasons to spend money I don't have (waves derisively at President 0), so I copied Disk 1 onto my 8GB flash drive. No problem. Install calls for Disk 2. I go back, wipe flash, go to copy Disk 2 -- and I get an error that there's no space for a .cab file. The .cab file is 4GB (it says), and there's 7+GB free on the flash.

Grr.

Suggestions?

(And please, if your suggestion starts with "You need an external drive," please make sure it ends with "...and I will mail you a new one for free.")

:cool:

Michael Hanel
08-21-2011, 12:20 PM
I'm not a tech support person, but it's very likely that it needs more space because the .cab file is kind of like a zip file, so its contents are larger than the file itself. So it can't unpack because you don't have enough space. I don't know what's cheaper (the DVD drive or a bigger flash drive), but I've seen sales for 16 GB flash thumb drives for under $20 on Newegg.

Adelphos
08-21-2011, 04:42 PM
OK, I just ran into a problem trying to load BW9 on my brand-new netbook. Netbooks don't have DVDs, I'm not looking for reasons to spend money I don't have (waves derisively at President 0), so I copied Disk 1 onto my 8GB flash drive. No problem. Install calls for Disk 2. I go back, wipe flash, go to copy Disk 2 -- and I get an error that there's no space for a .cab file. The .cab file is 4GB (it says), and there's 7+GB free on the flash.

Grr.

Suggestions?

(And please, if your suggestion starts with "You need an external drive," please make sure it ends with "...and I will mail you a new one for free.")

There may be a .cab file on disk 1 that is also required on disk 2. I had the same problem if I remember correctly. Make sure that this is not the case before giving up. Otherwise, like or not, you're either going to have to invest in a cheap external cd/dvd drive, or, if you have a good relationaship with a nearby computer store, or friend, they can let you use one of theirs to quickly install your program. Fortunately, I have a petty good relationship with one of my nearby stores, so I've been able to avail myself of this kind of help on a number of occasions.

Dan Phillips
08-21-2011, 07:30 PM
Thanks, Scott; but what I'm saying is that the 4GB file on Disk 2 won't copy onto my 8GB empty flash drive, complaining that there isn't enough space — which doesn't make sense.

Dan Phillips
08-21-2011, 07:52 PM
I believe I've figured it out. (Google is our friend... though it wasn't, first time I searched.)

The USB drive was FAT32. I had to reformat as NTFS. Now it works.

Yay! Thanks, all.

Glenn Weaver
08-22-2011, 08:19 AM
Hi Steffen,

Yes, the 9 inch screen is a bit small for the 4 columns. Depending upon the way you work, you might be able to shrink the Search Window and then have enough room for 4 columns, though the 4 columns will be small. The 3 column layout will probably work better for most people on a 9 inch screen (which has a 1024 width).

Blessings,
Glenn

christlove
08-23-2011, 05:34 AM
Thx, Glenn, for your response.
I haven´t decided yet what I do. If the Lord is willing I´m going to buy BW9 (and maybe also a bigger Laptop), I´ll see.

Blessings,
Steffen

Nick Laurence
08-23-2011, 05:57 PM
The answer to the basic question is "yes" - I have just installed it on my netbook, and it works. I haven't put it through its paces yet (I need to get some sleep), so maybe I'll add something here tomorrow when I've had a chance to explore. One think I do notice, though, is I can't see a 4th column; perhaps the programme has adjusted itself to my small screen size; i'll find out later.

BTW I've been using BW8 on a netbook without problems for sometime now.

Michael Hanel
08-23-2011, 07:04 PM
The 4th column is not activated upon initial installation. You toggle it on and off by the red arrow box in the Analysis Window (i.e. the 3rd column).

Nick Laurence
08-24-2011, 06:20 PM
Just to add to my post last night:

Yes, BW9 is working on my netbook, which runs Windows 7 Starter Edition. I have a portable DVD drive, so I didn’t have a problem loading it.

It seems to perform just as well as BW8 did, although it takes up significantly more space on the hard drive (depending on how much you load). On launching the programme, just like BW8 before it, the splash screens are impossible to get rid of if you want to work in another window while BW loads in the background. I wonder if this is a “feature” of Windows 7 starter edition – I’d be interested if users with other operating systems get the same experience.

The screen size overall doesn’t bother me, as I had the same with BW8. Viewing the Greek manuscripts is the most affected issue I’ve come across so far. Having finally discovered where they were, I’ve found you get a tiny box in the analysis window to view them, which on a netbook is effectively useless. You can load them in their own window (click on “Image” then “Load in image viewer”), however this launches a rather peculiar window with no option to minimise it, meaning that you can’t easily toggle between the manuscript and the analysis column in the main programme – you have to move the image window or re-scale it, which rather defeats the object, or close it and re-open it when you want to refer back to the manuscript. Perhaps there’s an easier way, but I haven’t found it yet. Moreover, as the transcript of the manuscript is not included in the image viewer, if you are unfamiliar with the manuscript in question, you are quite likely to want to do this toggling to check out your understanding of an unfamiliar script/orthography/abbreviations etc.

Despite these difficulties I’d still be over the moon if we got the same treatment for Qumran biblical manuscripts (and the Samaritan Pentateuch) – where do I sign the petition!?!?

I can linkup my netbook to my TV, so if I wish to do some work on the manuscripts I could do that to alleviate this issue.

I'm continuing to "play" with it, so if I find any more issues (or solutions) I'll post them here.

Nick Laurence
08-24-2011, 06:26 PM
The 4th column is not activated upon initial installation. You toggle it on and off by the red arrow box in the Analysis Window (i.e. the 3rd column).
Thanks Michael. I'm starting to find my way round.

Michael Hanel
08-24-2011, 06:28 PM
On launching the programme, just like BW8 before it, the splash screens are impossible to get rid of if you want to work in another window while BW loads in the background. I wonder if this is a “feature” of Windows 7 starter edition – I’d be interested if users with other operating systems get the same experience.

Did you try going in BW to Tools|Options and then under General|Flags click the + for Startup options and then uncheck "Show splash screen at startup"? I'm running Windows 7 on a Desktop, but that does it for me.

Adelphos
08-24-2011, 06:29 PM
If you have a screen resolution of 1024 x 600, which is the minimum BW supports, you'll have a harder time viewing as much. Actually, BW is one of the few major programs that still supports as low a resolution of 1024 x 600, but that is the resolution that most netbooks have.

The newer netbooks are now supporting 1366x768 or even higher, and on these you will have a slightly better view than on the lower resolution.

IOW, screen resolution is what to look for if you are considering running BW (or any other major program) on a netbook, as well as, of course, disk space, and so on.

I have plans to buy a new netbook sometime hopefully in the not too distant future, and I won't be settling for anything less than 2 GB memory, 1366 x 768 resolution, and at least 200 GB or more for a hard drive.

It is nice that BW still supports 1024 x 600, but I wouldn't go that low at this point in the technological curve any more.

Nick Laurence
08-24-2011, 07:12 PM
Did you try going in BW to Tools|Options and then under General|Flags click the + for Startup options and then uncheck "Show splash screen at startup"? I'm running Windows 7 on a Desktop, but that does it for me.
Well I should have cometo the forum on this some time ago! Yes that did the trick. Thanks.

christlove
08-25-2011, 08:05 AM
Hey Nick.

Thank you very much for your very helpful report. I´m looking forward to read more concerning Netbooks and BW 9.....

Blessings,
Steffen

johns
08-25-2011, 07:34 PM
I get an error that there's no space for a .cab file. The .cab file is 4GB (it says), and there's 7+GB free on the flash.

Format the flash drive with NTFS. Most come preformatted with FAT32 which has a file size limit of just under 4GB.