PDA

View Full Version : BW9 notes location issue

Dan Phillips
08-14-2011, 12:28 PM
I uninstalled BW8 and installed BW9, like a good boy.

I believe I copied all my BW8 notes and a few other odds and ends to BW9 locations. They worked; I had the profiles I created and, more importantly, all my notes on individual verses.

Yet when I just went to copy some of my notes to a thumb drive to tr. to my laptop, I found all my notes under the BW8 folder, and just one folder (Gen) under the BW9 folder.

What's up with that? I'm leery of copying them (again?), for fear of my new notes going to the wrong location.

LarryW
08-14-2011, 01:06 PM
I noticed the same thing (also in BW8 installation too, as I recall). What I did was to copy all my notes under the BW8 folder to BW9 and the went to BW9 and made sure the notes were there and that by default BW9 pointed to the correct new folder. After awhile I eventually deleted BW8 folders so I wouldn't get confused.

As far as I can tell each BW installation creates its own folder but doesn't move any notes from the old folder to the new.

However, I'm trying something new to avoid this in the future and make it easier to find/sync my notes. I created a folder under BibleWorks just titled Notes and copied all my folders from the default setup to this new folder and changed BW9 default folder to this new folder. So far I haven't seen any issues and syncing between computers has been fine.

I think that will work going forward. 'Course someone may point out a problem with it.

Larry

Dan Phillips
08-14-2011, 01:23 PM
Thanks, Larry. Can you tell me without too much labor how I make sure it's pointing to the right place?

My wish to the BW creator-types would be that they do a video for upgraders specifically: here's how to move notes, versions, configurations, outlines; and here's what's different from the last version.

Also, my old NIV vanished. I thought that because I was already registered, it'd stay. (Not that I love the NIV much.)

LarryW
08-14-2011, 11:33 PM
Hi Dan,

Assuming you've already created or moved the notes (do you know how to do that?), go to BW9 and Notes tab and select the Choose Notes Dir icon. When the dialog box opens navigate to your notes folder (ie, BW8 if you want to keep that as it is, even with BW9 notes), a new general folder (ie Notes) or if you copied/moved all your BW8 notes to BW9 folder select the BW9 folder. Click OK and all your notes will go to that folder in the future and your existing notes in that folder will be available to you. Make sense?

In the Notes tab in BW9 you should see the path to your note files. Something like c:\Users\Dan (or whatever your log on name is)\BibleWorks\???? (whatever folder you chose to keep your notes. At least that's how my Vista system shows it. I can't tell you for certain how other systems will display it.

Hope that helps.

Larry

Greg Ward
08-15-2011, 09:30 AM
I think in the BW9 upgrade if you answered a prompt a certain way, it would do most of this for you. But I chose to do it manually. Follow the information in this FAQ to help you get everything moved over:

http://kb.bibleworksllc.com/ikb/questions.php?questionid=74

I hope this helps:)

Glenn Weaver
08-15-2011, 10:51 AM
Hi Dan,

You should have received an activation code for the 1984 NIV, since you had a previous version of BW. I suggest contacting BW Customer Service, and they can help you with that.

Blessings,
Glenn

Dan Phillips
08-15-2011, 07:52 PM
Thanks, all. I'm set!

Mark Eddy
08-15-2011, 11:58 PM
You should have received an activation code for the 1984 NIV, since you had a previous version of BW.
Also remember that the old NIV is called NIVO in BW9. If you copied over your favorites from BW8, it would display the new NIV under the NIV abbreviation. If you included NIV in one of your BW8 display favorites, you will have to edit that favorite to add NIVO to BW9.
Mark Eddy