PDA

View Full Version : Numbers in the CNTTS-Apparatus?

Peter
08-13-2011, 10:35 AM
Dear friends of BibleWorks 9,

a few days ago, I recieved my copy of BibleWorks 9. I'm very happy with it and try to work also with the CNTTS-Apparatus.
Something I don't understand is the sense of the numbers in Variation Code (second column).

0 Notation for base text, UBS 4th
1 A reading that represents the base text with only minor differences (orthography, Nomina Sacra, etc)
2-20 A significant change from the base text with at least two supporting witnesses
50-59 A significant change from the base text but with only one supporting Greek witness or a reading with only Latin support
99 Lacunae listed under significant variation units; omitted portions of the text; and instances where Latin witness are indeterminable (for example, the addition or omission of a Greek article)

I want to search for all the singular readings of Aleph. What number do I have to enter?
That's disturbing for me ! What's the difference - let's say - between 2 or 3 or between 50 and 51? Thank you for a clarification.
Peter

Glenn Weaver
08-15-2011, 09:45 AM
Hi Peter,

The numbers 2-20 (actually, only 2-11 are used) show significant readings that are supported by 2 or more mss. When there is a significant variant supported by 2 or more mss, then the number 2 is used. If there is more than one significant reading in that variant that is supported by 2 or more manuscripts, then 3 is used, followed by 4, etc.

The numbers 50-59 (actually, the number was increased to 67) are a group of numbers used to hold significant readings supported by only one ms, or with only Latin ms support. The first significant reading with a single ms support uses the number 50. If there are additional significant readings with only one ms support, then the number 51 is used, etc.

In your search example (singular readings for Aleph), there are 35 readings when searching on the combination of ms Aleph + 50. There is one additional reading if you add the number 51. None of the other numbers contain ms Aleph. You can select multiple numbers and search multiple numbers at the same time.

Blessings,
Glenn

Peter
08-16-2011, 11:55 AM
ok, Glenn ! Thank you. It's good to get a helpful answer. I'll check the CNTTS-Apparatus again. It's so good to have a search opportunity in the apparatus. That brings a lot of helpful possibilities, but one has to get used to it.

Cheers
Yours
Peter, Germany